New Richard Fortus Interview

seely

Great interview. Awesome to get to read what's up with Fortus. But here's my complaint... he just makes it sound like GNR is one of many projects he's in, and that he doesn't particularly more about it than other bands and artists he works with. For instance, it was pretty far into that article when he talked about Guns. I really felt Guns should have been more the focus of the interview -- since it's his biggest, most high profile project and the one he's currently in. For example, he mentioned not being into Guns that much, which is honest but not necessarly the right thing to say in public. It's hard enough for Axl and the guys to overcome the "hired guns" stigma, so when they finally give interviews and talk about how they work with all these other artists and they love all these other artists, but say they were never too into GNR, I think it could make that situation worse.

And he should have made a bigger deal out of announcing how they're finishing up the new record. That's what everyone wants to reada bout. That's what gets headlines and makes everyone excited. Not how he got to do some session work for the Psychadelic Furs, even though that's awesome and paved teh way for what he's doing now. He should have been like, "I'd like to make a special announcement for all the hard-working GNR fans who are dying for an update..." Fanfare! It's big news to be finishing up the sequel to Chinese Democracy! So act like it!

(Also, I came too.)

I dont think his tattoos are fake, its impossible to draw them every morning

:rofl-lol:

Great interview. Awesome to get to read what's up with Fortus. But here's my complaint... he just makes it sound like GNR is one of many projects he's in, and that he doesn't particularly more about it than other bands and artists he works with.

But that's probably what they are to him : a big project but one of many others. He's mostly a session and touring guitarist unlike Bumble and Ashba who largely focus on their own music. Nothing wrong about that anyway since session guitarists are usually very talented. :shrugs:

That being said, he does sound like he misses Thin Lizzy. He looked like he was having a blast with them.

Anyway, he was my favourite band member when I saw them live in 2010. So much energy...

Edited by The Glow Inc.

Great interview. Awesome to get to read what's up with Fortus. But here's my complaint... he just makes it sound like GNR is one of many projects he's in, and that he doesn't particularly more about it than other bands and artists he works with. For instance, it was pretty far into that article when he talked about Guns. I really felt Guns should have been more the focus of the interview -- since it's his biggest, most high profile project and the one he's currently in. For example, he mentioned not being into Guns that much, which is honest but not necessarly the right thing to say in public. It's hard enough for Axl and the guys to overcome the "hired guns" stigma, so when they finally give interviews and talk about how they work with all these other artists and they love all these other artists, but say they were never too into GNR, I think it could make that situation worse.

And he should have made a bigger deal out of announcing how they're finishing up the new record. That's what everyone wants to reada bout. That's what gets headlines and makes everyone excited. Not how he got to do some session work for the Psychadelic Furs, even though that's awesome and paved teh way for what he's doing now. He should have been like, "I'd like to make a special announcement for all the hard-working GNR fans who are dying for an update..." Fanfare! It's big news to be finishing up the sequel to Chinese Democracy! So act like it!

(Also, I came too.)

Umm they are hired guns man... I'm a huge fan of all incarnations of Guns N' Roses but whenever a bandmember functions on a salary, that makes them a session/touring musician or a hired hand. Make no mistake. Tool(the band), operate on a equal share system, each record/t-shirt/ticket they sell gets split 4 ways, they are not hired hands. Guns N' Roses, Megadeth, Smashing Pumpkins, NIN all operate in the same way. Nothing wrong with that. It's good to see Fortus being honest, I would much rather he be honest to himself and the fans than to sidestep or downplay an answer just to please some people into thinking this is a old school fashioned band....

Also I think Fortus has learned not to make a big deal about anything to do with Guns N' Roses. How many times did we hear "99% done" or "should be out next year" over the last 10 years?

Edited by Young_Gun

Absolutely no problem at all with Richard's quote about not being into GN'R growing up. Honest- and reading between the lines- it seems to me he recognized over time that Guns was truly different than just a "hair metal" band- but actually had many of the same influences he had and his respect for GN'R grew. Live and learn. Hell- I thought the Furs were pretty lame bubble gum pop- but since Richard and Frank have come in I've gotten to know the full catalog and they're a great band. Works both ways. ;-)