New part of Axl's LA Times interview released

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-bemoans-the-state-of-la-radio.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PopHiss+%28Pop+%26+Hiss+Music+Blog%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Axl Rose bemoans the state of L.A. radio

December 26, 2011 | 3:17 pm

On a recent Saturday morning in Seattle, Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rose sat down for a long, freewheeling interview after his band's three-hour concert the night before at Key Arena. A sharp, well-spoken Rose tackled many topics, among them what happened to L.A. radio?

You can read more of the interview here and here.

What are your listening habits these days?

I like radio, and the vibe of whatever -- I like finding some obscure station on the radio dial playing Eric Carmen at 3 a.m., you know? I like that rather than necessarily putting an album on. But the radio died in L.A. Just died. To me, corporate radio killed radio and you hear the same . . . "Carry on My Wayward Son" might be a great song, but there are other songs on that album, and there are other songs on Queen albums.

Have you heard anything recently that surprised you?

There was a station dumping their easy-listeners, and it was the best two weeks of music in L.A. I ever heard. It'd go from Queen's "Dead on Time" to "Fingerprint File" by the Stones, to "Rockaria" by ELO, to "The Theme from 'S.W.A.T.' " Just crazy, fun music. I turned to my friends and everybody was like, "Yes!" I called the station and said, "I will do anything to help promote your station." And they go, "It's not a real station. We're just dumping listeners." I said, "But this is it! This is amazing!"

Pet peeves now?

It kills me when someone will call KLOS from Builder's Emporium on their lunch break going, "Play Jethro Tull's 'Aqualung.' " It's like, why even request it? They're going to play it anyway. And they're going to play ZZ Top's "Legs." And why does everything have to sound old? The only time I hear fresh sounds is in movies. Like "Drive." There are great songs in that -- all kinds of stuff in movies where I'm like, "I've never heard this song, and I didn't even know it existed." I really miss that.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I like the mental image of Axl with the radio on in a Lambo puffing a fine cigar at all hours of the night phoning in anonymously sometimes to scrutinize.

Ha, he thinks that's bad, try listening to Pittsburgh stations. There is no point even having a radio here.

I'm guessing the interviewer was trying to get Axl to say a newer band he likes.

Yeh. he has been burnt before by doing that however. The Killers pissed on him when their album bet Chidem in the UK charts(after he presented them at the MTV awards cause they were nice guys..), Trent Reznor has talked shit about Axl since the mid-90s after Axl praised the industrial scene and wanted to make some songs with Trent. Apparently Fred Durst slammed Chidem as "the biggest pile of shit I have ever heard" in a chat room after Axl said "Limp Bizkit is fun" in 1999... Then there is the Dave Grohl thing.. Moral of the story, don't praise anyone.

Edited by Young_Gun

Yeah Axl was reluctant to say what he was listening to/favourite bands int he TMS interview, so its good to see him opening up about his music interest (even if its just a little bit).

Axl has great taste in music. Totally right about queen too, if all i knew of queen was bohemian rhapsody, etc.. they would just be an ok band. I find most bands best music is there least known..

Not to sound like a pompous ass, but it kinda fits right in to the small minded-ness of humans. Something catchy and short has always dominated the charts..

Take Pink Floyd for example, everyone knows another brick in the wall, but I bet anyone who has explored pink floyd would tell you its not anywhere near their best. Seems like any fan would say the whole animals album is miles ahead of any of their well know tracks. Every band is that way, queens sail away sweet sister, the stones can you hear me knockin, gnr's breakdown, locomotive etc.. Music has always been this way, even orchestra, take Tchaikovsky's the nutcracker for example, you have all heard this song, but Tchaikovsky thought it was his worst piece, but it was the most catchy to your average listener..

And Axl is totally right about carry on wayward son, listen to whats on your mind from that album and tell me its not better!

Edited by Sprite

Take Pink Floyd for example, everyone knows another brick in the wall, but I bet anyone who has explored pink floyd would tell you its not anywhere near their best.

Totally agree with you. Alot of people want to join the bandwagon and make like they are in the know just because it's popular. Metallica's Black album copped the same thing even though it's not even in the top 5 albums.

He's right. I never listen to the radio anymore. When I went to high school (this was before youtube and all that lol) we had this local pretty weird kinda radio station. They'd play everything from the new Britney Spears song to old live recording of Rolling Stones. I remember my mom ripping the door to my room open once screaming "Is that Dire Straits?!" :lol: And it was! That station played everything you could ever wanna hear.

I remember someone in this thread mentioning wanting to hear Civil War played on the radio and this station would actually play it! Normally it's just Paradise City, Welcome to the jungle and Sweet Child O' Mine which gets radio play here but not on that station.

The station still exist but it's got new owners and it's just pretty standard of a radio station now...

These days I only listen to the radio if I'm in the car with my mom. Otherwise I use youtube a lot to discover new bands or more rare songs with bands I'm already into. I also borrow lots of cd's at the library (recently stuff like Bob Dylan and Rolling Stones) put it on my itunes, make playlists etc so it's kinda like radio except for the commercials and talking.

Wow, now I miss my high school days of us listening to the radio in every recess lol

Edited by RocketQueen1985

I like the mental image of Axl with the radio on in a Lambo puffing a fine cigar at all hours of the night phoning in anonymously sometimes to scrutinize.

LOL, while getting roadhead from a couple of groupies