"Jungle" lyrics ... I had them wrong this whole time?

GnR Chris

I had a thread a while back that somehow got sidetracked with the lyrics from "Patience." Some people for some reason thought Axl was singing, "Sad woman" rather than "said woman."

Today I was reading on this very forum and saw someone's signature where they quoted "Jungle."

I always thought the lyrics were, "You can taste the bright lights but you won't get THEM for free."

It's split but seems to be more heavily weighted toward, "You won't get THERE for free" when I google search. And honestly, when I watch live videos, sometimes it sounds one way and sometimes the other.

Can I get clarification? I know it's a weird q.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always heard it as "you won't get THEM for free," which also has the advantage of being grammatically correct, since the pronoun is referring to "the bright lights" which is an object not a place. Because as we all know, rock lyrics are always grammatically correct. ;)

"The bright lights" can be thought of as a place. However, it does appear it's "them" in these lyrics.

True enough that they could be a metaphor for a place (or another object), but the grammar usually matches the literal meaning rather than the figurative one. Sorry to get so far down in the weeds, but as a former English major, I actually enjoy this type of stuff. ;)

It raises an interesting question -- what are "the bright lights" in WTTJ anyway? I always assumed they were a metaphor for the glamorous rock & roll lifestyle, which is attainable but not without a price ("you won't get them for free"), either materially or in terms of consequences down the road.

It's also a mixed metaphor if you think about it: how do you "taste" light exactly? :question: At least without the help of LSD. :blink:

"The bright lights" can be thought of as a place. However, it does appear it's "them" in these lyrics.

True enough that they could be a metaphor for a place (or another object), but the grammar usually matches the literal meaning rather than the figurative one. Sorry to get so far down in the weeds, but as a former English major, I actually enjoy this type of stuff. ;)

It raises an interesting question -- what are "the bright lights" in WTTJ anyway? I always assumed they were a metaphor for the glamorous rock & roll lifestyle, which is attainable but not without a price ("you won't get them for free"), either materially or in terms of consequences down the road.

It's also a mixed metaphor if you think about it: how do you "taste" light exactly? :question: At least without the help of LSD. :blink:

Agreed, it's kind of fun to analyze this stuff. Your description of the bright lights is pretty much what I interpreted it to be as well, a metaphor for the glamorous life (you want it so bad you can taste it), which is why I thought of it as sort of a metaphorical "destination". But since it can be considered to be a thing or a place, guess that would explain why it's been understood both ways (them or there).

Maybe we're over-thinking it and it's just some coloured tabs of acid - "you can taste the bright lights but you won't get them for free". Then again, "free" could also have a double meaning, they cost money and they also cost something else in the long run.

acidtabs.jpg

psychedelic.jpg

Edited by axlsalinger

The "bright lights" are representative of fame,recognition,success.

Rush labelled it as "Limelight" and there are unlimited jokes involving "spotlight whores"

Nothing comes for free,you may not be bartering sexual favors to get a foot in the door but we have all heard of "the casting couch"

The act of simply giving issues attention,or losing anonymity/loss of privacy can be a price.

Getting a "taste" of something is not literally intended,you could easily substitute getting a "feel" or "exposure to an issue or situation"

Songwriting - sometimes songs get reinterpreted by a singer or the audience... there's no strict law about it, although Cee Lo's gotten in trouble over "Imagine".

Solomon Burke on covering Tom Waits' "Diamond In Your Mind" - "We had one discussion on the phone, and that was the lyric change where he wrote that "she never prayed," and I said, "No, no, no--you have to call him, you have to get him on the phone." I don't care how big of a sinner you are: If someone cuts off your arm, you are going to pray to God. They said, "With all due respect, Dr. Burke, you do not change the words to a Tom Waits song." I told them, "With all due respect, as a man of God, I am telling you this song is religiously incorrect." We stopped the whole session until we got a call back from him, and he said, "Okay."

Johnny Cash came up with crown of thorns in "Hurt" and Reznor used it at the Katrina benefit.

It it makes sense to you - go with it.

I always thought it was "won't get there for free" too but the liner notes deffinatly say THEM.

...but then again the liner notes also says;

"feel my, my, my serpentine

I, I wanna hear yous-cream"

...WTF?

Did the band write these themselves back in the day? (the liner notes I mean)

Edited by KiraMPD

Answer me this... in pretty tied up, is axl describing a woman who looks good(pretty) tied up? Or is she pretty tied up as in "kind of" tied up. Like, decent job of tying one up? Always wondered that..

I think it's both. As in, she's pretty, and she's also pretty tied up, not "kind of" but more like "quite" tied up.

I always thought that jungle was LA.At least when Axl has told the story its about this first experiences in LA.So I think the bright lights are the fame and glitter of LA.Wont get them for free to me means if you want them your going to have to pay a price of a portion of your soul and who you are so beware.