"Jungle" lyrics ... I had them wrong this whole time?

GnR Chris

Answer me this... in pretty tied up, is axl describing a woman who looks good(pretty) tied up? Or is she pretty tied up as in "kind of" tied up. Like, decent job of tying one up? Always wondered that..

It refers to a Dominatrix and S&M slap and tickle tactics.

But it could also carry the connotation of being tied up mentally I suppose. :thumbsup:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought that jungle was LA.At least when Axl has told the story its about this first experiences in LA.So I think the bright lights are the fame and glitter of LA.Wont get them for free to me means if you want them your going to have to pay a price of a portion of your soul and who you are so beware.

That's definitely what it means. It makes sense to use either "them" or "there" because they both make sense in context, so I guess that's why it was interpreted both ways.

Axl: "I wrote the words in Seattle. It's a big city, but at the same time it's still a small city compared to L.A. and the things that you're gonna learn. It seemed a lot more rural up there. I just wrote how it (LA) looked to me. If someone comes to town and they want to find something, they can find whatever they want."

I always thought it was "won't get there for free" too but the liner notes deffinatly say THEM.

...but then again the liner notes also says;

"feel my, my, my serpentine

I, I wanna hear yous-cream"

...WTF?

Did the band write these themselves back in the day? (the liner notes I mean)

Ha! @yous~cream :lol:

Now the Lyrics "when you're high you never really wanna come down, Suck Down! Suck Down!" Make perfect sense to me. :D

:xmassrudolph:

"The bright lights" can be thought of as a place. However, it does appear it's "them" in these lyrics.

True enough that they could be a metaphor for a place (or another object), but the grammar usually matches the literal meaning rather than the figurative one. Sorry to get so far down in the weeds, but as a former English major, I actually enjoy this type of stuff. ;)

It raises an interesting question -- what are "the bright lights" in WTTJ anyway? I always assumed they were a metaphor for the glamorous rock & roll lifestyle, which is attainable but not without a price ("you won't get them for free"), either materially or in terms of consequences down the road.

It's also a mixed metaphor if you think about it: how do you "taste" light exactly? :question: At least without the help of LSD. :blink:

I've always taken the line to mean that you have to sacrifice (wont get them for free) to make it in this town (you can taste the bright lights).

Using taste is quite common in English. People often talk about the sweet taste of success etc.

Getting a "taste" of something is not literally intended,you could easily substitute getting a "feel" or "exposure to an issue or situation"

Yes I know it's not literally intended -- that's why I called it a metaphor. ;) By "mixed metaphor" I was referring to a specific literary term -- here's how Wikipedia defines it:

A mixed metaphor is one that leaps from one identification to a second identification inconsistent with the first. "I smell a rat [...] but I'll nip him in the bud" -- Irish politician Boyle Roche. This form is often used as a parody of metaphor itself: "If we can hit that bullseye then the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate." -- Futurama character Zapp Brannigan.

Using taste is quite common in English. People often talk about the sweet taste of success etc.

Right, but it's still a metaphor -- when you say "the sweet taste of success" you are metaphorically comparing success with a sweet treat like a cookie. It's just become such a common phrase that we don't think about its meaning most of the time. But if you were to say "the sweet taste of success smells fishy to me," that would be a mixed metaphor because you are combining one type of metaphor (taste) with a different type (smell). It could still be meaningful though.

By the way, none of this is to say there's anything wrong with the lyrics or the song (one of my favorites of all time). Mixed metaphors are discouraged in certain contexts (academic writing for example) but they are fine in other contexts (such as songwriting) and can add color. It was just an observation. :)

Answer me this... in pretty tied up, is axl describing a woman who looks good(pretty) tied up? Or is she pretty tied up as in "kind of" tied up. Like, decent job of tying one up? Always wondered that..

I think it's both. As in, she's pretty, and she's also pretty tied up, not "kind of" but more like "quite" tied up.

I agree -- it's a classic racy double entendre. Shakespeare would be proud. :thumbsup:

Getting a "taste" of something is not literally intended,you could easily substitute getting a "feel" or "exposure to an issue or situation"

Yes I know it's not literally intended -- that's why I called it a metaphor. ;) By "mixed metaphor" I was referring to a specific literary term -- here's how Wikipedia defines it:

A mixed metaphor is one that leaps from one identification to a second identification inconsistent with the first. "I smell a rat [...] but I'll nip him in the bud" -- Irish politician Boyle Roche. This form is often used as a parody of metaphor itself: "If we can hit that bullseye then the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate." -- Futurama character Zapp Brannigan.

Right, but it's still a metaphor -- when you say "the sweet taste of success" you are metaphorically comparing success with a sweet treat like a cookie. It's just become such a common phrase that we don't think about its meaning most of the time. But if you were to say "the sweet taste of success smells fishy to me," that would be a mixed metaphor because you are combining one type of metaphor (taste) with a different type (smell). It could still be meaningful though.

By the way, none of this is to say there's anything wrong with the lyrics or the song (one of my favorites of all time). Mixed metaphors are discouraged in certain contexts (academic writing for example) but they are fine in other contexts (such as songwriting) and can add color. It was just an observation. :)

Yes,I'm familiar with the definition of what a metaphor is.

On the "won't get them for free" could very well be alluding to "the crossroads" where Robert Johnson alledgedly sold his soul in return for momentary fame,ability and noteriety.

I dunno why, but I i don't like Welcome to the Jungle being referred to as 'Jungle'.

Can you imagine if we referred to all GN'R songs (where possible) like that..

You know that song 'Train' and that other one, 'Child', you know the one i'm talking about, 'Child' yeah that one. Oh, and 'Jive' that rocks me out. My favourite is 'Democracy' oh that over long intro that goes on forever, isn't that awesome! :D

Edited by vaida

Here is a classic example,But they are playing damn near three hours now,I have no issues with the teleprompter.

"We got yo' da-dee!"

Ha! must have been talking in tongues :lol:

It happens,Look at the Utube of The Beatles playing on the rooftop in "don't let me down" Lennon flubs an entire verse that he predominately wrote.

It's funny. People always have a hard time understanding Axl singing the actual lyrics, but everyone clearly understands lines such as "okay, nevermind" and "with your ass in the air" :xmasssanta:

don't forget the Nightrain lyrics he sometimes uses

its "credit card" but I swear he sometimes sings "readied car"

And does he say "Feelin' like a space brain one more time tonight"? I could swear he says something like "speedet", or something like that, even though all the lyrics say "feelin'"

What the fucks a speedet??? Speedos little sister?

don't forget the Nightrain lyrics he sometimes uses

its "credit card" but I swear he sometimes sings "readied car"

And does he say "Feelin' like a space brain one more time tonight"? I could swear he says something like "speedet", or something like that, even though all the lyrics say "feelin'"

What the fucks a speedet??? Speedos little sister?

Ha! You are in top form this morning :lol:

I've never understood how people can get obvious lyrics so wrong??? In a song like 'Oh My God', sure, we still debate that one, but how can someone get 'Jungle' wrong?

American accents are sometimes difficult to understand when sung screechy and fast. "Them" and "there" is pretty easy to mishear in that section.

Careful with the live videos, Axl is prone to change lyrics through the years. See 'Better' for example. =)

What's that? Never paid enough attention.

A broken heart

to provide the spark

for my determination

turned into

a broken heart

provides the spark

for my determination