Stinson: "Thousands of people will see it every night because he is Axl"

auad

The current bassist of the band Axl Rose, Tommy Stinson, commented on what exactly makes people still go to concerts of the group despite all the negative publicity surrounding them - and his response is straightforward.

Tommy Stinson - better known as the man who pretends to be in Guns N 'Roses Duff McKagan - was recently interviewed by U.S. newspaper LA Weekly and shared his thoughts on why Axl Rose still draws crowds.

"I think he wants to go and give a good show and have fun," says bassist. "It's what you have to do first. Trying to compete with the old band - the fucking Slash, bang all that - is useless. Thousands of people will see it every night because he is Axl Rose. "

"He has done the same thing throughout his career," he amended, speaking of the peculiar behavior of the Rose. "Entering late in the stage - what's new? It's kind of routine at this point. He makes his bid and he too thin to give a good show every night. He is preparing for the very best it can be, and I think that's commendable. This guy still sing like a motherfucker. "

http://lokaos.net/tommy-stinson-e-pra-ver-axl-que-as-pessoas-vao-aos-shows/

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard
Tommy Stinson - better known as the man who pretends to be in Guns N 'Roses Duff McKagan

Bollocks, i ain't havin' that! Tommy Stinson was Tommy Stinson of The Replacements when he was 13 years old in fucking 1979 before anybody had even dreamt of a Duff McKagan or even a Guns n Roses. Fuck that. Tommy was a fucking legend before there even was a GnR, he don't need to pretend to be no one.

The Replacements are an integral part of a history that was far more important to music than anything GnR ever had anything to do with.

Edited by sugaraylen

some great english translation there op LOL

you can do better for sure.

blame google translator. I'm just doing a favor to share something with you.

some great english translation there op LOL

can u send me this picture in large size? it's cool.

Tommy Stinson - better known as the man who pretends to be in Guns N 'Roses Duff McKagan

Bollocks, i ain't havin' that! Tommy Stinson was Tommy Stinson of The Replacements when he was 13 years old in fucking 1979 before anybody had even dreamt of a Duff McKagan or even a Guns n Roses. Fuck that. Tommy was a fucking legend before there even was a GnR, he don't need to pretend to be no one.

The Replacements are an integral part of a history that was far more important to music than anything GnR ever had anything to do with.

The Replacements do not have a far more Important music history than GNR.

Guest Len B'stard

Yes they do, HUGELY. GnR were a big band that made it big and then receeded, a derivative band at that, The Replacements were a part of something that literally changed the face of music, music hasn't been the same since punk, The Replacement were among the early touring punk bands that made it so the indie circuit actually came into existence, they were on of the earliest alternative bands to get signed to a major record label, they were seminal, they were a part of changing the music industry, the effects of those changes are still felt today, Guns n Roses don't really compare in that regard. Axl Rose and them were still learning to wipe their noses when The Replacements got signed to a major record label, as an alternative band coming out of the hardcore punk scene thats about as groundbreaking as an Al Qaeda member being made a US senator.

More than that, bands like The Replacements were part of the groundwork of alternative independent rock n roll that would eventually rise up and sink Guns n Roses in the early 90s.

Edited by sugaraylen

Yes, they really do. Take a poll of musicians.

The irony of Tommy being from "The Replacements" just hit me. Whoa.

LOL

The current bassist of the band Axl Rose... Thats perfectly translated, I dunno what you guys are bitching about. OHHH... Your mad cuz because it says "The band Axl Rose" while it should say "The Axl Rose band" lol.

Yes they do, HUGELY. GnR were a big band that made it big and then receeded, a derivative band at that, The Replacements were a part of something that literally changed the face of music, music hasn't been the same since punk, The Replacement were among the early touring punk bands that made it so the indie circuit actually came into existence, they were on of the earliest alternative bands to get signed to a major record label, they were seminal, they were a part of changing the music industry, the effects of those changes are still felt today, Guns n Roses don't really compare in that regard. Axl Rose and them were still learning to wipe their noses when The Replacements got signed to a major record label, as an alternative band coming out of the hardcore punk scene thats about as groundbreaking as an Al Qaeda member being made a US senator.

More than that, bands like The Replacements were part of the groundwork of alternative independent rock n roll that would eventually rise up and sink Guns n Roses in the early 90s.

I am not going to argue with you as everyone Is entitled to there opinion, and furthermore alternative rock did not sink Guns N Roses. Some of these so called alternative bands were actually opening for Guns N Roses on the Illusions tour.

Guest Len B'stard

Useless Trivia: Winona Ryder was/is a huge Mats fan. Heathers is full of Mats references. Westerberg High School, Color Me Impressed etc. You're welcome.

I am not going to argue with you as everyone Is entitled to there opinion

Opinion ain't got shit to do with it, it's just a fact. Opinion don't change an apple to orange but fair enough if you don't wanna argue, cool.

Some of these so called alternative bands were actually opening for Guns N Roses on the Illusions tour.

And some of them wouldn't piss on Guns if they were on fire, whats your point? Now you can believe what you want but the fact is, alternative rock n roll, or the parts of it that mainstream media accepted anyway, made it so Gunses particular brand of rock n roll was made to look really rather silly. Unless it's just a coincidence but then in the words of the man himself "we've had our fair share of trouble with alternative bands" and hey presto, by 1993 Guns n Roses were one punk cover album away from disappearing off the face of the planet until the turn of the century, i call that being well and truly sunk.

Edited by sugaraylen

Useless Trivia: Winona Ryder was/is a huge Mats fan. Heathers is full of Mats references. Westerberg High School, Color Me Impressed etc. You're welcome.

I am not going to argue with you as everyone Is entitled to there opinion

Opinion ain't got shit to do with it, it's just a fact. Opinion don't change an apple to orange but fair enough if you don't wanna argue, cool.

Some of these so called alternative bands were actually opening for Guns N Roses on the Illusions tour.

And some of them wouldn't piss on Guns if they were on fire, whats your point? Now you can believe what you want but the fact is, alternative rock n roll, or the parts of it that mainstream media accepted anyway, made it so Gunses particular brand of rock n roll was made to look really rather silly. Unless it's just a coincidence but then in the words of the man himself "we've had our fair share of trouble with alternative bands" and hey presto, by 1993 Guns n Roses were one punk cover album away from disappearing off the face of the planet until the turn of the century, i call that being well and truly sunk.

Big fucking deal, there were a few alternative bands Influenced by the Replacements. That does not make them an integral part of a history that was far more important to music than anything GnR ever had anything to do with. The Replacements never experienced any significant commercial success, and where are all your big alternative bands that were Influenced by them. You might want to check your facts, from what I recall Guns N Roses were playing to stadiums In 1993, well and truly far from sunk.

sugaraylen , since i dont have alot of time to post a lengthily reply, all i must say is i agree. The Replacements have never gotten their due. They were a very important band. Hell the Goo Goo Dolls, just wanted to be as 'successful' as the replacements in the early days, and look what happened Johnny has even said how without them, rock wouldnt be what it is this was in the mid 90's by the way. But really GNR may have sold more albums, but if you ask me The Replacements were more important to rnr .

The irony of Tommy being from "The Replacements" just hit me. Whoa.

LOL

The current bassist of the band Axl Rose... Thats perfectly translated, I dunno what you guys are bitching about. OHHH... Your mad cuz because it says "The band Axl Rose" while it should say "The Axl Rose band" lol.

No its not...

O atual baixista da banda de AXL ROSE, TOMMY STINSON

"The actual bassist from the Axl Rose band (wich is GnR), Tommy Stinson"

LOL try to find shit everywhere right? :thumbsup: well, u failed at this :thumbsup:

Edited by AGS

Guest Len B'stard
Big fucking deal, there were a few alternative bands Influenced by the Replacements. That does not make them an integral part of a history that was far more important to music than anything GnR ever had anything to do with. The Replacements never experienced any significant commercial success, and where are all your big alternative bands that were Influenced by them. You might want to check your facts, from what I recall Guns N Roses were playing to stadiums In 1993, well and truly far from sunk.

Commerce isn't really the yardstick of importance in musical history, is it? I mean by that rationale, Bros, Milli Vanilli, these guys sold huge, The Backstreet Boys but thats not really the yardstick of musical importance in a historical context, is it? You do it again by asking me who are the big alternative bands influenced by The Replacements, again, thats not what i'm talking about, what i'm talking about is helping to set prescedents that effected the musical industry. Like basically being an integral part of the creation of an underground circuit in America, one thats still being used today, about being one of the only bands out of that whole 80s American punk era that got signed to a major record label, that is an ENORMOUS prescedent and its something that led to a huge change and shift in the dynamics of the record industry, these things are what historical importance is based on, the way in which music reaches people and is presented to people, the dynamics of an entire industry, The Replacements played a kind of music and were part of a movement that was literally undigestable by the mainstream and yet the mainstream came to it, thanks to the work done by bands like The Replacements and Husker Du and Black Flag and so on and so forth. Guns n Roses just played mainstream music and became accepted by the mainstream by doing it, got big and then fizzled out, now, there's a lot of achievement in what GnR did and i'm obviously a fan or i wouldn't be there but in terms of historical importance, which is what i was talking about, sorry, Replacements beat em out...and easily.

And yeah, checking those facts, based on the standards of importance that you've laid out (which appears to be strictly commerce) the album they released in 93 sold a helluva lot less than the albums before it and although they were playing stadiums in 1993, they also stopped playing altogether in 1993...for the rest of the decade. Now how much more sunk can you get than not playing? Exactly. Face it, that kind of stadium filling classical lead singer/lead guitarist type rock n roll, GnR were the last band of it so you could even go so far as to say alternative or punk rather the effects of all that were reponsible for the death of the entire type of music that bands like GnR or Aerosmith or what have you represented. At least in terms of relevance if not commercial viability. But then historical importance is a musical context is about what you've actually done for the medium and not how much money you made while doing it.

The Replacements have never gotten their due. They were a very important band.

I agree, sort of. I mean they have and they haven't insofar as when you watch music documentaries now and history of rock n roll things that whole movement in the 80s is given it's due to some degree, or books like Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azzard and The Replacements are like, one of the 13 most important bands cited that bought about a HUGE shift in the music industry, which is kinda smile-inducing to see :) But yeah, as a general thing? No, The Replacements didn't get anything like the respect they deserve. These things change though and they're starting to.

If you look at all the musical documentarys that show the history of rock n roll, there's never really a mention of Guns n Roses because it would be remiss of said documentary to assign that much importance to GnR. And it's not cuz they try and be cool and hip and only pick out unknown bands, look at that BBC one, the seven ages of rock, there's an episode for like the Hendrix late 60s era, one for metal, one for punk, one for britpop/rock, one for glam, one for stadium rock and one for alternative. Guns n Roses aren't even mentioned really in those documentaries. The Replacements are though. In fact, one of the episodes is named after a Replacements song (Left of the Dial). Not bad for a band of drunken misfits from Minneapolis eh? :) And this is a constant thing, when you look at the editorialisation or history books or timelines or what have you, regarding rock n roll, Guns n Roses, despite being SOOOO fucking huge, are barely mentioned. And The Replacements, without hardly selling shit relatively, are frequently cited.

To put it in one sentence and sum up everything into a nice digestible question for you to answer, historical importance in music is largely about being pioneers...so tell me, what were GnR pioneers of? Being a big band...or even a huge band doesn't necessarily denote historical importance in music.

Edited by sugaraylen

I swear, auad's whole day is spent googling no-name blogs for the worst translations of ENGLISH interviews. If the interview was in english, then what's the fucking point of translating it to some other language, and then back again? Oh right, I see- so auad can bastardize the original quotes yet simultaneously use quotation marks on the re-translated interview, to make it appear as if it were a legitimate quote. I swear, this forum is filled with more people who have no idea what putting quotation marks around text even means.

Oh well, auad's agenda is crystal clear.

What is the site he linked to anyway? Prison-discount-translators-R-us?

Guest Len B'stard

How much more sunk than that? Tommy's brother might know. And how often are The Replacements playing? I'm not arguing against your main point, but that was a bad specific point you made.

That makes absolutely no sense at all :rofl-lol: What has Bob Stinson being dead got to do with the fact that Guns n Roses went down the pan in 1993? I was saying that the upsurge of alternative music in the early 90s heralded curtains for GnR in 1993 and you're response to that is basically that a member of The Replacements died? The Replacements broke up in 1991, Bob Stinson died 4 years later and he's been out of the band for the last few years of The Replacements existence as a band, since 1986 i believe. So sorry, what was your point again? :lol:

GNR or Replacements more important to rock history.....?

GNR - How many people pick up a guitar because of Slash? Many, probably millions. Even if those people don't sight GNR as an influence later in life when they produce music it's still a huge influence.

- How many people got into music because of GNR in general? Well, at least one; me. GNR took me beyond just enjoying punk pop and classic rock shit to actually thinking about and relating to lyrics, appreciating all sorts of other things in music than just dancing and having fun.

Replacements - Hugely influential on future bands. There's a quote about the Velvet Underground that I think applies here: "Not THAT many people listened to them but it seems everyone who did started a band". Green Day, Goo Goo Dolls, the Gaslight Anthem were influenced by them. I'd say Fugazi, Pavement, the whole post punk movement with shit like Husker Du and eventually At The Drive-In were all influenced by them. The rise of alternative in general with Sonic Youth and REM were probably influenced by them.

how do you add up which is more important overall? You don't. Fuck it.

Very well said.

I would also like to add another point; GnR's songs are still widely known by people today (even those that are not really into rock music)... I'd say their music made SOME sort of impact, right?