How much do you think each member earns per show?

goldfoot

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from the NYtimes article a few years ago (this is about the CD sessions):

"With the band's return, Mr. Rose's machinery cranked up again. One internal cost analysis from the period pegs the operation's monthly tab at a staggering $244,000. It included more than $50,000 in studio time at the Village, a more modern studio where Mr. Baker had moved the band. It also included a combined payroll for seven band members that exceeded $62,000, with the star players earning roughly $11,000 each. Guitar technicians earned about $6,000 per month, while the album's main engineer was paid $14,000 per month and a recording software engineer was paid $25,000 a month, the document stated".

So if you have two star players (for arguments sake- let's say Bucket and Robin) earning 11,000, that leaves 44,000 for five band members giving them about 8,000 each a month. If they're on a contract I'd

say they're taking home less from concerts than you might think.

Just to give a totally random AND VERY unrelated perspective, a close friend of mine was hired on as a tour drummer for 30 Seconds to Mars and got about $3k per show.

Now before the idiots on here start assuming or guessing or whatever, this was just a simple & isolated example. He didn't write or contribute to the actual material being played or performed. It was just was he was being payed for performing on the live shows. He did however continue and get involved with the band, but that doesn't have anything to do with what he was paid for his performances.

I'm not saying the circumstances were the same, I'm not saying 30 Seconds to Mars is anywhere close to the GN'R universe, I'm just giving an example.

Guest Len B'stard

10p and a pound of grapes...whatever Tommy Stinson makes its not enough. He should get paid extra just for being Tommy Stinson.

Edited by sugaraylen

Hi all

I expected the board naysayer-dungheads to see their arses and I had factored-in the "it's not our business" responses; *brushes them aside*.

This was a, I thought, valid and interesting topic that has garnered discussion; after all, this IS a discussion board, is it not? Thanks to everyone who replied with constructive and interesting comments :) To everyone else...pff...utter birdbrains :)

probably between 2 and 3000 a week.

Some of you people are so naive, I'm just a normal guy and I make over $3000/week so I'm pretty sure ALL members of Gnr make WAY more than I do!

A little quick math and I see that that's around $156 000 a year. I doubt say Bumblefoot or Frank make much more than that. Not that it's our business of course.

Sure, all the guys make a comfortable living, but if they get paid $1 000 000 per show, for example, out of that they have to pay the crew, transportation, late fees, and so on. Duff talks about about the late fees in his book, mentioning it goes beyond just a venue fine. They also have to pay the overtime for venue staff and security.

Ive known people in some pretty big bands that made 1500 a week. Hired guns are hired guns. A band makes money from lots of different sources but hired guns arent getting a piece of that. You and the hired.guns make more money than most people do. Im assuming guns pay a little more than the musicians I knew but not that much more. Touring is expensive. At the end of the day theres not that much left. Situation, What do you do to earn 3000 a week? I want in!

I doubt the band members are affected by the fines. Axl seems to take that responsibility on himself.

The guys are experienced musicians that average around 20 years of professional playing, and Axl could easily grab a bunch of Berklee and MI grads if he was going to be cheap about it. I'm sure they clear 6 figures after tax, and prob. had a year or two where they saw a million dollar check (when they do festivals and private shows, they'll make more), but they have to balance that out with the time the band is off the road and continuing to have money coming in.

DJ's bought a house in Vegas during a depressed market, so I'm sure he got a nice sized house for little money (half a million a few years ago vs half a million now). It's a stone's throw to LA, he's obviously going to have a fully functioning recording studio, and the taxes are a non-issue. I could see Axl getting a second place there. And didn't GNR record at the Palms before?

I would say they're all millionaires, but need to keep working. They're not at "f you" money level yet. Maybe Axl is but if he wants that high maintenance lifestyle, he has to keep working, keep licensing, keep doing live shows. He sounds like he takes care of his guys pretty good, and everyone post 99 who's worked with them seemed to enjoy the experience. Getting out on the road itself is a grind, and working in that band does open the doors to making big money with pop stars, or continuing to work independently. Tommy Stinson gets a nice chunk of change from Replacements royalties, their songs might not get played on the radio 24/7, but modern rock stations usually play them once or twice a day.

The one thing I've wondered about is the medical coverage... does their union cover that, the record company, or would they have to pay out of pocket?

Ive known people in some pretty big bands that made 1500 a week. Hired guns are hired guns. A band makes money from lots of different sources but hired guns arent getting a piece of that. You and the hired.guns make more money than most people do. Im assuming guns pay a little more than the musicians I knew but not that much more. Touring is expensive. At the end of the day theres not that much left. Situation, What do you do to earn 3000 a week? I want in!

If the rest of the band members are truly "hired-guns" then they probably get a fixed pay per show regardless of how well the show does. They would probably also get late-bonuses as well. I have a friend who works as a session violinist (in effect a "hired-hand") and always gets paid as such. If the other guys are truly band members then they probably get a fixed percentage cut off the profits made from the shows as well as merchandising.

Interesting part is whether Axl pays the late-fees from his cut or not. Its been implied that he does and its only fair as its usually his fault if there are major delays. ;p

I think Axl is paying the band more than someone like Miley Cyrus or Madonna would be paying their backing bands. They're featured band members, and when they go in the studio, will prob. get the songwriting credit. Axl doesn't treat them as "hired hands" from what I can tell, but only the band members in GNR can speak for themselves on whether they feel that's the case or not.

In those cases of Beyonce or any pop star with a backing band, the bandleader or musical director is getting the bulk of it. They're the ones that hire on Berklee/MI grads. That's more about getting your foot in the door anyway.

In the Stones case, Daryl Jones isn't considered an "official" Stone and I'm sure he gets nowhere near what Ron, Charlie, Mick or Keith get, but I'm sure he's seen a million dollar check or two.

I'm going to say GNR members could be getting anywhere from 1000 to 10 grand a show. The festivals and private shows are where they're seeing the big money. Axl had to suck it up at Rock in Rio because it was lucrative and help pay for costs of this leg of the tour they just did.

Some of you people are so naive, I'm just a normal guy and I make over $3000/week so I'm pretty sure ALL members of Gnr make WAY more than I do!

A little quick math and I see that that's around $156 000 a year. I doubt say Bumblefoot or Frank make much more than that. Not that it's our business of course.

Sure, all the guys make a comfortable living, but if they get paid $1 000 000 per show, for example, out of that they have to pay the crew, transportation, late fees, and so on. Duff talks about about the late fees in his book, mentioning it goes beyond just a venue fine. They also have to pay the overtime for venue staff and security.

I'm still betting they all make much more than I do, especially when touring. I would actually assume that Bumblefoot earns more with just his non-gnr related work/projects than I do. In reality it doesn't really matter what they make to me, I just find it hard to fathom that somebody in a (relatively) huge rock band would earn so little.

I'm still betting they all make much more than I do, especially when touring. I would actually assume that Bumblefoot earns more with just his non-gnr related work/projects than I do. In reality it doesn't really matter what they make to me, I just find it hard to fathom that somebody in a (relatively) huge rock band would earn so little.

What do you do for a living to earn 156,000/year? especially when you posting on a fan forum 11 am in the morning?

Not trying to be an ass just curious....

Answered already.. and its only 9:30am where I live ;). I'm on holidays right now.

Situation, What do you do to earn 3000 a week? I want in!

I work in finance for an oil company and I'm on the lower end of the salary spectrum.

With salaries like that no wonder why we pay so much for gas :fuckyou:

Oh I agree!!

Situation, What do you do to earn 3000 a week? I want in!

I work in finance for an oil company and I'm on the lower end of the salary spectrum.

$3000 a week is the low end?

If that's the low end I don't even want to know where my family ranks in the scheme of things.

Oh I agree!!

With that said i wouldn't give a fuck if I had your salary :thumbsup:

When you see all the money that is wasted it would still blow your mind no matter how much you were making. However, I am grateful to be one of the people they are wasting their money on! :lol: