Van Halen 1st week sales vs Chines Democracy 1st week sales

GNFR2003

I got the Van Halen cd and I like it alot. I'm going to see them in Dallas on June 20. I wasn't a huge VH fan back in the late 70's and 80's, but I always thought Dave was a great frontman.

This cd shows that VH still have the music mojo. But then again, these songs were written back in the late 70's and early 80's, so it has the amazing VH sound that they had with Dave.

I don't think you can or should compare this cd to CD as these songs were written by Axl after the original members left and you can tell by listening to CD that Axl has progressed in his music writing, as it should be. I love CD and loved hearing those few songs done live. If Axl would have released another Appetite, it would have been like he was trying to re-capture his youth and you can't do it, man! You have to move on and progress because it's the natural order of things, unless you're an idiot who has learned nothing from life.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why it is so important for people to diminish anything and everything Axl has done since Slash walked away.

How many people actually purchased - spent their $18 - the album just out of curiosity? That happened in 1992, not is 2008. If I am "curious" about an album in 2008, I go online and in ten minutes you can hear every song for free. Curious people went to MySpace and heard the entire album for free.

You guys (pro-slash, blame Axl) people actually contradict each other. Some say the MySpace hurt sales ......them some say millions of people bought the album out of curiosity. Which one is it, because it can't be both ways!!!

Then you say millions only bought it because of the GnR "name." Again, so people are willing to spend their hard earned money on an album.....big enough fans to ONLY but it because of the GnR name.....but they don't know Slash, Duff and Izzy aren't in the band? In reality, that actual number is about 1% at most.

If GnR is successful it is ONLY because people are fooled by the GnR name. But then other people say the album is a flop because of Axl. Again, you can't have it both ways. Ten years from now Axl could release a solo album that sells 100 million copies and people on this forum would say "its just because of the GnR name and people thought slash played on the album."

And the sales total. What are your sources? U all are stuck on the 3-3.5 million number. Why? Where is your source? Interesting that the number u guys are obsessed with coincidently falls just below what VR did. Weird coincidence.

VR has two hits that are classics and still in heavy rotation? Really? Where? I can't remember the last time I heard a VR song randomly played on the radio. The way you guys talk, maybe Serious Radio gave them their own channel!!!

Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy were more popular and successful and relevant when they were all together. There is really no need to continually bash and put down Axl now, just because you (a random fan who doesn't know the truth) blames Axl for breaking up the old group.

It is so weird to me that the old band is able to move on with their lives, but a few fans cannot.

Well, for starters, never said people are fooled that Slash and co are in the band. I personally don't believe that.

I think that if Axl hadn't released the whole album on Myspace, it would have sold more based around curiosity. Not saying everyone that bought the album did, but that's certainly an important factor, and I think more people bought it based on that than those who didn't. You can have it both ways if you think about it. Simply, a lot of people heard the album on Myspace, and decided not to buy the album. Some who don't spend a lot of time on social networks walked into Best Buy and said "New GnR?" "Isn't this the CD they've been working on forever?" and bought the record. That's where the name comes in handy. :thumbsup: . You also have to remember the history this record had; the breakup of the original lineup, release dates, touring randomly, the mystery behind it, people wondering if the record even existed, etc. We can debate that to death, but if you've ever wandered off to a news site such as Blabbermouth or wherever, you'll constantly see comments that imply CD was less than satisfying to the average fan, an overwhelming majority of comments are critical of that direction.

On your comments about where people are getting the numbers from, it's logical estimates. The album was at 2.6 million in February of '09, but if you look at the chart positions it wasn't on high enough to have scored another 2-2.5 million in sales, and only ONE guy from Chile who heard from someone who heard from someone is even claiming this. It just doesn't seem possible. People use the 3-3.5 million because it seems the most logical. No conspiracy, it really just is a coincidence.

As for VR, I don't know where you live man, but I'm from Buffalo, and I hear Slither and Fall to Pieces on regular FM rock radio all the time. The fact that radio stations still even bother playing these songs nearly 8 years later says something. I can't remember the last time I've heard a CD song on regular FM radio since the beginning of '09. :shrugs: .

As for the name ordeal (since you brought it up), one thing you have to realize is that Slash, Izzy, Duff, and whoever else had a personal relationship with Axl that went beyond the music. The fans didn't. The fans are the ones who are really affected by this either way. Who's playing with Axl, and who's not playing with Axl does effectively change the results of the music. For better or for worse is up to opinion, but then again, take a look at some comments outside the safe zone of GNR forums where critical comments are allowed and welcomed...

I personally think it's not so much that they're "ok" with Axl using the name, it just is what it is. Their hands are legally tied. And in the meantime, they get their royalty checks anyways. The former members have stated before they don't agree with Axl's decision to use the GNR name. What goes on behind the scenes in terms of their personal relationships with each other is a whole other story that we don't have enough details about.

Just because Duff and Axl and whoever jam together as friends doesn't mean they exactly see eye to eye about the business side of things. But again, the is were already dotted, and the ts have been crossed. Too late to do legally do anything about it now. Doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't if they could.

Edited by BS11290

I'm not sure why it is so important for people to diminish anything and everything Axl has done since Slash walked away.

How many people actually purchased - spent their $18 - the album just out of curiosity? That happened in 1992, not is 2008. If I am "curious" about an album in 2008, I go online and in ten minutes you can hear every song for free. Curious people went to MySpace and heard the entire album for free.

You guys (pro-slash, blame Axl) people actually contradict each other. Some say the MySpace hurt sales ......them some say millions of people bought the album out of curiosity. Which one is it, because it can't be both ways!!!

Then you say millions only bought it because of the GnR "name." Again, so people are willing to spend their hard earned money on an album.....big enough fans to ONLY but it because of the GnR name.....but they don't know Slash, Duff and Izzy aren't in the band? In reality, that actual number is about 1% at most.

If GnR is successful it is ONLY because people are fooled by the GnR name. But then other people say the album is a flop because of Axl. Again, you can't have it both ways. Ten years from now Axl could release a solo album that sells 100 million copies and people on this forum would say "its just because of the GnR name and people thought slash played on the album."

And the sales total. What are your sources? U all are stuck on the 3-3.5 million number. Why? Where is your source? Interesting that the number u guys are obsessed with coincidently falls just below what VR did. Weird coincidence.

VR has two hits that are classics and still in heavy rotation? Really? Where? I can't remember the last time I heard a VR song randomly played on the radio. The way you guys talk, maybe Serious Radio gave them their own channel!!!

Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy were more popular and successful and relevant when they were all together. There is really no need to continually bash and put down Axl now, just because you (a random fan who doesn't know the truth) blames Axl for breaking up the old group.

It is so weird to me that the old band is able to move on with their lives, but a few fans cannot.

great post dude :thumbsup:

And yes. Cd was a real turd. Selling 4-5 million copies

are we sure about 4-5 mil?

It was never substantiated. I'm guessing it did not sell more than 4 million worldwide at best. Between 3-4 million worldwide. Not a bad figure really. It just didn't 'catch on' like Lady Gaga or Rihannas efforts so people automatically assume it failed. It could have done much better with Axl being involved in the promotion though..

And yes. Cd was a real turd. Selling 4-5 million copies

are we sure about 4-5 mil?

It was never substantiated. I'm guessing it did not sell more than 4 million worldwide at best. Between 3-4 million worldwide. Not a bad figure really. It just didn't 'catch on' like Lady Gaga or Rihannas efforts so people automatically assume it failed. It could have done much better with Axl being involved in the promotion though..

This.

that should be your sig.

Almost everything you post has a negative slant towards Axl. Yet you post on this forum every day.

And I wouldn't have to repeat the moving on thing if people like you didn't post your negativity on the forum on a daily basis. Your hero slash has moved on.....too bad that you can't.

Well,there are lot of dickheads here.I watched Bon Jovi last year in Zagreb and Acdc 2008 in Belgrade,for example.Jon didn't have a voice even he didn't sing but Bon Jovi fans were happy with him and didn't bitchin.With acdc is the same situation.We have Axl Rose who has much much better voice than Jon,Brian,Bono and still bichin him.We have Axl Rose who have gave 3 hours shows and still bitchin.What the fuck you stupid dickheads want?

Well,there are lot of dickheads here.I watched Bon Jovi last year in Zagreb and Acdc 2008 in Belgrade,for example.Jon didn't have a voice even he didn't sing but Bon Jovi fans were happy with him and didn't bitchin.With acdc is the same situation.We have Axl Rose who has much much better voice than Jon,Brian,Bono and still bichin him.We have Axl Rose who have gave 3 hours shows and still bitchin.What the fuck you stupid dickheads want?

Because Axl's supposed to be on an entirely different level of awesome! :rolleyes:

Honestly, it's probably cuz he's the only original member left now, he's the one that decided to pull this band along so people expect him to "bring it". :shrugs:

Because Axl's supposed to be on an entirely different level of awesome! :rolleyes:

Honestly, it's probably cuz he's the only original member left now, he's the one that decided to pull this band along so people expect him to "bring it". :shrugs:

And there Is no doubt the energy Is there and he does bring It(amazing 3 hour show), but voice wise, I think Brian and Bono both have him beat right now.

And there Is no doubt the energy Is there and he does bring It(amazing 3 hour show), but voice wise, I think Brian and Bono both have him beat right now.

Don`t know about Bono, but Axl`s voice for sure is better than Brians. I love AC/DC, and Brian is still great, but at times you really notice his age! Also he gets out of breath pretty fast these days. Nonetheless I will always go to their shows!

People are spending hundreds of dollars to go see The Wall, and it's not because Roger's an amazing singer. When I saw the Dark Side concert, he barely sang any of it, I might as well have gone to see Australian Pink Floyd.

Tours in general are going to have good and bad shows... cancelling out to get better sometimes isn't an option, so they're pumped up full of meds and prob. taking a few illegal things that get them well enough to perform, or doing what you can to get through it.

• 2 months later...

If the new Van Halen album can't sell, then that absolutely means that rock just doesn't sell albums anymore because their new album is amazing. Their shows are all selling out though I believe. Not even playing small venues either.

Edited by mrandyk

If the new Van Halen album can't sell, then that absolutely means that rock just doesn't sell albums anymore because their new album is amazing.

No, what it means is the majority of people who buy music (teenagers and 20-somethings) don't want to get into their parents' bands, they want newer bands they can call their own. You also can't expect people in that same teens/20's age group to relate to guys in their 40's and 50's.

Check out sales of Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto and Foo Fighters' Wasting Light, you'll then realize rock definitely does still sell albums.

If the new Van Halen album can't sell, then that absolutely means that rock just doesn't sell albums anymore because their new album is amazing.

No, what it means is the majority of people who buy music (teenagers and 20-somethings) don't want to get into their parents' bands, they want newer bands they can call their own. You also can't expect people in that same teens/20's age group to relate to guys in their 40's and 50's.

Check out sales of Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto and Foo Fighters' Wasting Light, you'll then realize rock definitely does still sell albums.

Coldplay and The Foo Fighters do diet rock. Van Halen make the real thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPdz_D7rS_w

Edited by ITW 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPdz_D7rS_w

That's no good... Sounds like f*ckin Saxon.

Albums don't sell today like they used to regardless of who the artist is. The only thing that matters is how many people show up to see the concert and van halen is winning that battle easily.

Selling albums is pretty much ancient history at this point. CD's are almost as obsolete as VHS and cassette tapes were ten years ago. Television has been replaced by youtube, and CD's have been replaced by hard drives. It makes a lot more sense to just release a few tracks online every year to promote tours, and let people listen to them on youtube freely (because they will whether you like it or not). Singles can be sold and distributed through the band's own website or itunes. Tinkering with an album of 12 songs and putting it out on CD and expecting to profit like bands did in the 90's is something only the dinosaurs of the music industry do today. Bands like Radiohead already figured this out years ago.

So Van Halen hasn't even come close to hitting 400K and is about to fall off the charts. This for a reunion album that has had a couple of heavily played singles. Thoughts?

They're in their mid 50s except Wolf, the idea of new VH music is just appealing to the longtime fans that supported VH and Dave.

If it was about sales, they would've worked on a new album in '98 when they would have had guaranteed platinum, and it would have been maybe one vault song, instead of most of it being cobbled together from outtakes and old solos Ed had lying around. The only thing that was new was prob. Dave's lyrics and Wolf's vocals. VH had to have been planning on using the vault songs, because the tribute band Atomic Punks (2 of which are now Steel Panther) were planning on making a CD about 12 years ago of the unreleased stuff, and VH didn't give them permission. In 2000, VH had reunited again and were working on new music, so I'm sure some of these songs were toyed with back then.

The important thing is that they decided to put it out.

To me, they need to put out a revised "Best of VH" on DVD where they could put more of the DLR era on there, and now include the videos from ADKOT.

I completely agree, the newer rock bands just don't cut it in my book either. Maybe it's because we know what rock should sound like, while a whole new generation of music fans don't because they haven't experienced classic rock.

You're right, in a way. The newer bands don't cut it for you because you "know what rock should sound like". You've put yourself in a box.

Bands nowadays take things to extremes in different ways than before because shit gets stale if you don't switch things up ala Foo Fighters, Nickelback, The Darkness, etc.

Want occasionally dark, heavy, wandering rock like Zeppelin? Queens of the Stone Age

Want weird, electronic tinged, adventurous rock like Pink Floyd? Radiohead

Want quirky, poppy-but-dirty rock with weird lyrics like the Pixies? Modest Mouse

Rock does suck if you listen to the radio for shit like the Foos, Nickelback, "lips of an angel" shit. Ya.