Axl Rose TMZ video hollywood. Responds to reunion tour thoughts

gunsguy

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think people fail to understand is that touring costs. That is why, traditionally, the record labels have provided tour support for up-and-coming acts.

This is such nonsense. When done right, touring doesn't cost money but makes a band money. A record company rarely has anything to do with a tour apart from promoting it a bit here and there. A record company doesn't pay a single penny because it's up to the artists whether they want to go out and promote their stuff. I have no idea where you get this idea from because it's very, very incorrect.

Edited by RNRS

axl-rose-chateau-marmont.jpg

cute picture,but inaccurate

When you bring up the issue of illegal downloading and copyright protection I often get the response: "Well, times have changed -bands should accept that they'll have to make their living off of touring now-right,sure.

What I think people fail to understand is that touring costs. That is why, traditionally, the record labels have provided tour support for up-and-coming acts. But even that source of support is now drying up, as labels scramble to compensate for lost CD revenue that they generated themselves by not embracing new technology,not willing to give up their outdated practices.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie. Whether they're entitled to it or not means little, once they realise how to put the pressure on to get it - some might even call it extortion and not be wrong. Which brings us back to the venue commission. This practice is spreading like a disease across the globe - an estimated 80% of British venues, 40-60% of European ones and almost 100% of American ones follow it -and most artists aren't even aware of it unless they do their own bookings.

It all started with the big arenas, years ago, but now it's trickled down to medium-size venues and it appears to be only a matter of time before even small venues get in on the act For a band playing small to medium (2000+ capacity)-type venues rather than arenas, selling merchandise on tour can make the difference between an overall loss and an overall profit.

Venues charge artists quite a substantial amount of money to hire the place, provide security and pay for other running costs. They also take tons of money across the bar from people who wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the band ie: selling drinks and food at ridiculous prices.The band gets no profit from that.

Not content with that, they now demand a cut of the artists tour merchandise - sometimes for simply supplying a booth where the band can set up their products; a booth which would be there whether the band had merchandise or not.

Add on silkscreening merchandise,and transporting it from place to place.

And this in turn can affect the fans, as many artists see no other option than to add the cost onto the price. Or choose to not pass it on to the fans but to not play the venue at all, disappointing fans in that particular city,who in turn blame the band.

This does not include crew/band/stage transport/pyro,nor motels,meals/salary/etc. etc.

Might want to rethink the term "cash grab" ;)

*disclaimer,this was pieced together from several emails/info

Great points. Most people seem to think "They sold out a 7,000 seater arena at $100 a pop, Axl made $700,000 in one night!" which is totally incorrect. Even just the logistics involved would be astronomical given all the gear, amps, cabinets, stage setup, pyrotechnics, etc etc. I would prefer a new album over another tour, but I don't see a tour as a cash grab. A reunion. Yes, that would be a cash grab as Axl obviously does not want to do it and the only incentive would be the money involved. People can say "do it for the fans" but seriously, do you let other people dictate your own actions? Especially if it's the very opposite of what you want to do?

To me it was more to how they keep touring Chinese Democracy for the 4th year instead of releasing a new album. It seems easier for them to tour and grab the money than to get in the studio and start to work on a new album.

I don't find her attractive at all.

really?

watch her from 1:17 to 1:20

and again at 3:24 to 3:28

you may not understand it now, but someday you will

And still they call her a singer ? :lol:

Sorry, but she sucks balls. What a boring monotone voice.

And yet you're still here.

Axl is within his right to not attend and if he didn't I wouldn't blame him. The others make their negative comments and yet the negativity is still placed on Axl.

+1

+2

The others make their negative comments and yet the negativity is still placed on Axl.

That's because everyone WOULD reunite, sans Izzy, onstage one last time if not for Axl. So, right or wrong, Axl gets the blame when it doesn't happen. I think he should have the right to kill a HOF reunion if he doesn't want to do it but I also can't blame people for getting mad about it. It goes both ways.

Edited by Nintari

The others make their negative comments and yet the negativity is still placed on Axl.

That's because everyone WOULD reunite, sans Izzy, onstage one last time if not for Axl. So, right or wrong, Axl gets the blame when it doesn't happen. I think he should have the right to kill a HOF reunion if he doesn't want to do it but I also can't blame people for getting mad about it. It goes both ways.

Well, the rumour is that Izzy isn't going, but you don't read the negativity about him ruining the HOF reunion. Somehow, that will be negativity placed on Axl. Even if Axl played, it wouldn't be a reunion without Izzy.

How is Axl stopping them from playing anyway?

Axl will always be the bad guy, no matter what happens at RHOF.

Well, the rumour is that Izzy isn't going, but you don't read the negativity about him ruining the HOF reunion. Somehow, that will be negativity placed on Axl. Even if Axl played, it wouldn't be a reunion without Izzy.

How is Axl stopping them from playing anyway?

If Axl came out and said "Slash,Duff and myself wanted to do it but Izzy backed out so it's not going to happen" I doubt Axl would get the blame. But he hasn't said he wanted to play like everyone else. Steven, Matt,Slash,Duff...hell, even Tommy said it would be cool etc. The only person who hasn't said they wanted to see it happen is Axl. That's why he's going to get beaten up for it, right or wrong.

I mean, fans think he owes them. As long as they think this, he's going to get rapped for this lol.

Edited by Nintari

If Axl came out and said "Slash,Duff and myself wanted to do it but Izzy backed out so it's not going to happen" I doubt Axl would get the blame.

People would talking Izzy doesn't want to play because of Axl. If they perform on the HOF, people will be bitching that they should do full tour and album.

Anything Axl will do, it'll be bad.

I don't think Axl will show up and why should he?

One wrong word out of someones mouth and who knows what will happen :)

There is definately enough fuel to set a firefighter into action,with Steven calling the new lineups hacks and scabs and Slash tooting the publicity horn by telling R.S. that Axl "hates" him.

Guess everyone will have to wait and see,although the mediahogs will have a field day with it either way.

Yep you are right. with Axl it's damned if he shows up or damned if he doesn't. Axl will get blamed for whatever goes wrong and it sucks!

I had to laugh at Steven talking about slash saying Axl hates him. He was like it happened over 20 years ago, I don't think Axl remembers why he hates Slash! I was like duh, steven you might not remember what went down, but you can be sure Axl remembers every little detail. poor Steven, he's lucky if he remembers what he did last year let alone 20 years ago. lol

Anyway, I wish all the orignal members would show up and accept the induction, even though it's Green Day doing it, and just say some words and then go their separate ways. I think it's important for all of them, but if Izzy and or Axl don't show up, it's their choice. either way the band is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

But I really hope that NO ONE sings for Axl because I can hear Axl's lawyers now! ha ha

When you bring up the issue of illegal downloading and copyright protection I often get the response: "Well, times have changed -bands should accept that they'll have to make their living off of touring now-right,sure.

What I think people fail to understand is that touring costs. That is why, traditionally, the record labels have provided tour support for up-and-coming acts. But even that source of support is now drying up, as labels scramble to compensate for lost CD revenue that they generated themselves by not embracing new technology,not willing to give up their outdated practices.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie. Whether they're entitled to it or not means little, once they realise how to put the pressure on to get it - some might even call it extortion and not be wrong. Which brings us back to the venue commission. This practice is spreading like a disease across the globe - an estimated 80% of British venues, 40-60% of European ones and almost 100% of American ones follow it -and most artists aren't even aware of it unless they do their own bookings.

It all started with the big arenas, years ago, but now it's trickled down to medium-size venues and it appears to be only a matter of time before even small venues get in on the act For a band playing small to medium (2000+ capacity)-type venues rather than arenas, selling merchandise on tour can make the difference between an overall loss and an overall profit.

Venues charge artists quite a substantial amount of money to hire the place, provide security and pay for other running costs. They also take tons of money across the bar from people who wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the band ie: selling drinks and food at ridiculous prices.The band gets no profit from that.

Not content with that, they now demand a cut of the artists tour merchandise - sometimes for simply supplying a booth where the band can set up their products; a booth which would be there whether the band had merchandise or not.

And this in turn can affect the fans, as many artists see no other option than to add the cost onto the price. Or choose to not pass it on to the fans but to not play the venue at all, disappointing fans in that particular city,who in turn blame the band.

This does not include crew/band/stage transport/pyro,nor motels,meals/salary/etc. etc.

Great points. Most people seem to think "They sold out a 7,000 seater arena at $100 a pop, Axl made $700,000 in one night!" which is totally incorrect. Even just the logistics involved would be astronomical given all the gear, amps, cabinets, stage setup, pyrotechnics, etc etc. I would prefer a new album over another tour, but I don't see a tour as a cash grab. A reunion. Yes, that would be a cash grab as Axl obviously does not want to do it and the only incentive would be the money involved. People can say "do it for the fans" but seriously, do you let other people dictate your own actions? Especially if it's the very opposite of what you want to do?

Thanks Y.G. Most people have no idea of venue fees etc,I didn't even mention late charges :lol:

What I think people fail to understand is that touring costs. That is why, traditionally, the record labels have provided tour support for up-and-coming acts.

This is such nonsense. When done right, touring doesn't cost money but makes a band money. A record company rarely has anything to do with a tour apart from promoting it a bit here and there. A record company doesn't pay a single penny because it's up to the artists whether they want to go out and promote their stuff. I have no idea where you get this idea from because it's very, very incorrect.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about Zippy.

Enlighten us all on the "no-cost,world tours" you have undertaken.

If Axl came out and said "Slash,Duff and myself wanted to do it but Izzy backed out so it's not going to happen" I doubt Axl would get the blame.

People would talking Izzy doesn't want to play because of Axl. If they perform on the HOF, people will be bitching that they should do full tour and album.

Anything Axl will do WON'T be enough unless he agrees to a full fledged tour. Not saying i think its right but thats the deal at least in the states.

No, not at all.

At some point you (forum members) have to stop focusing on that mentality.

Every media member and rock fan in the world isn't out to get Axl.

The Up Close and Personal tour got rave reviews. The entire 2011 tour got rave reviews. In the media, maybe 95% of what I read was positive. And probably 80% of what I read on this forum was positive.

You guys just focus on the negative and blow up anything negative you read. Ten people could say something positive and one person something negative, and you would say 'see, no matter what, people complain."

I don't think Axl will show up and why should he?

One wrong word out of someones mouth and who knows what will happen :)

There is definately enough fuel to set a firefighter into action,with Steven calling the new lineups hacks and scabs and Slash tooting the publicity horn by telling R.S. that Axl "hates" him.

Guess everyone will have to wait and see,although the mediahogs will have a field day with it either way.

Yep you are right. with Axl it's damned if he shows up or damned if he doesn't. Axl will get blamed for whatever goes wrong and it sucks!

I had to laugh at Steven talking about slash saying Axl hates him. He was like it happened over 20 years ago, I don't think Axl remembers why he hates Slash! I was like duh, steven you might not remember what went down, but you can be sure Axl remembers every little detail. poor Steven, he's lucky if he remembers what he did last year let alone 20 years ago. lol

Anyway, I wish all the orignal members would show up and accept the induction, even though it's Green Day doing it, and just say some words and then go their separate ways. I think it's important for all of them, but if Izzy and or Axl don't show up, it's their choice. either way the band is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

But I really hope that NO ONE sings for Axl because I can hear Axl's lawyers now! ha ha

Hi Val,

Agreed,I'm starting to think it totally isn't worth all this speculation and aggravation.

People yanking scenarios out of their nether regions that haven't a clue,and media malcontents publishing utter and untrue debasements of the truth.

I wish Hunter S. Thompson would resurrect and stomp the shit out of Jann Wenner,can't decide which will be wilder- the biased media morons that will analyze everything to smithereens or the Zippy Pinheads online that inject their disease and hatred into every corner of the internet.

I'll be glad when it's over :)

Thanks Y.G. Most people have no idea of venue fees etc,I didn't even mention late charges :lol:

The picture is true,the more i tour the more easy money i get,and the more i tour with the new gnr the less i have to pay them.The more i tour with the original band the more i gain and SURE the more problems and the more money i have to pay to slash,duff,izzy and adler or sorum

I think that its greed,not hate.

The picture is true,the more i tour the more easy money i get,and the more i tour with the new gnr the less i have to pay them.The more i tour with the original band the more i gain and SURE the more problems and the more money i have to pay to slash,duff,izzy and adler or sorum

I think that its greed,not hate.

You seriously need help. :lol:

stupidity19.jpg

Edited by sailaway

No, not at all.

The Up Close and Personal tour got rave reviews. The entire 2011 tour got rave reviews. In the media, maybe 95% of what I read was positive. And probably 80% of what I read on this forum was positive.

You guys just focus on the negative and blow up anything negative you read. Ten people could say something positive and one person something negative, and you would say 'see, no matter what, people complain."

No, not at all.

Axl thrives on the "everyone is out ta get me" aspect. He uses that excuse alot as do (as you stated) people on here. Not everyone is against Axl Rose. If he'd reunite originals he'd probably get a shit load of awesome press. They'd be all over the front pages being praised.