Axl Rose not attending HOF

Tabitha27

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it represent? What did you or anyone else learn about Axl and his thoughts on Slash/a reunion that weren't already abundantly clear?

This literally changes nothing. By next week the general public and casual fan will not care about this. It's a non-story.

All the "heroes" thinking they're going to take a stand and make a statement by not supporting Axl anymore because he didn't attend an awards ceremony represent a tiny, tiny fraction of the fanbase. And let's be honest, the vast majority of them had already made up their mind about where they stood in regards to Axl and the new lineup anyway.

It's called stating an opinion. Nobody's trying to be a "hero". Are you trying to "be cool" and go with what Axl says in hopes that he might think you're cool and give you his approval sealed with a big thanks?

And sure, "let's be honest" here.... This isn't 1993 anymore. The fanbase isn't what it used to be. I've seen footage of this band playing to half filled arena's so don't talk like we're still in the peak of all this. That ended years and years ago pal.

We make ourselves like this band whether we openly admit it or not. Atleast most of us do anyway. You know the feeling..... We've all played CD around other non hardcore fans and got the "what the hell is that shit" reaction. Don't kid yourself any longer. We've been hanging on to a has-been for a while and now this is just another reason to go ahead and let it go.

My point is this:

-It's been abundantly clear for many years that Axl wants nothing to do with a reunion and Slash in particular. He doesn't speak publicly often but when he has, he's made this extremely clear.

-The new band's level of popularity now is about the same as it was in 2002, 2006, etc. The 2006 US tour didn't sell any better than the 2011 one did. It's not going to reach the heights of 1993, nobody expects that.

-Most people didn't expect Axl to show up to the ceremony anyway

So he writes a letter stating that he's not showing up, and explaining why; agree with it or not, the letter (and the request not to be inducted) is vintage Axl. I'm not sure why this would be the last straw for anybody who remained a fan, other than someone who was only holding on due to some slim hope of a reunion, and had those hopes crushed once and for all.

I just don't see how this changes anything, nor do I understand why anyone who wasn't expecting a reunion really cares. But then again I couldn't tell you a single band that's been inducted into the RRHOF in the past decade. I've never cared about it or taken it seriously before, and still don't.

What does it represent? What did you or anyone else learn about Axl and his thoughts on Slash/a reunion that weren't already abundantly clear?

This literally changes nothing. By next week the general public and casual fan will not care about this. It's a non-story.

All the "heroes" thinking they're going to take a stand and make a statement by not supporting Axl anymore because he didn't attend an awards ceremony represent a tiny, tiny fraction of the fanbase. And let's be honest, the vast majority of them had already made up their mind about where they stood in regards to Axl and the new lineup anyway.

It's called stating an opinion. Nobody's trying to be a "hero". Are you trying to "be cool" and go with what Axl says in hopes that he might think you're cool and give you his approval sealed with a big thanks?

And sure, "let's be honest" here.... This isn't 1993 anymore. The fanbase isn't what it used to be. I've seen footage of this band playing to half filled arena's so don't talk like we're still in the peak of all this. That ended years and years ago pal.

We make ourselves like this band whether we openly admit it or not. Atleast most of us do anyway. You know the feeling..... We've all played CD around other non hardcore fans and got the "what the hell is that shit" reaction. Don't kid yourself any longer. We've been hanging on to a has-been for a while and now this is just another reason to go ahead and let it go.

My point is this:

-It's been abundantly clear for many years that Axl wants nothing to do with a reunion and Slash in particular. He doesn't speak publicly often but when he has, he's made this extremely clear.

-The new band's level of popularity now is about the same as it was in 2002, 2006, etc. The 2006 US tour didn't sell any better than the 2011 one did. It's not going to reach the heights of 1993, nobody expects that.

So he writes a letter stating that he's not showing up, and explaining why; agree with it or not, the letter (and the request not to be inducted) is vintage Axl. I'm not sure why this would be the last straw for anybody who remained a fan, other than someone who was only holding on due to some slim hope of a reunion, and had those hopes crushed once and for all.

I just don't see how this changes anything, nor do I understand why anyone who wasn't expecting a reunion really cares. But then again I couldn't tell you a single band that's been inducted into the RRHOF in the past decade. I've never cared about it or taken it seriously before, and still don't.

Maybe it should be viewed another way: The whole induction thing is about AFD. AFD the hard rock album of all time.

AFD is Axl Slash Adler Izzy duff. If anyone decides to go collect their award, then so be it. If some don't want to go, then so be it.

That long rambling letter was just same old same old from Mr Rose. Nothing new to say. Axl just wants to be on the road, with his hired hands, attempting to pull in $'s.

With all the current legal battles, future legal battles, Rose probably needs all the cash he can get his hands on. The reality is, Guns N'Roses will never be as big as they were, reason being, they are simply not creating the same music. The original music was popular. The new music is for the die hards.

This might be sheer ignorance on my part, but I don't get the no win situation thing. At the very worst you show up, put your ass in a chair, say thanks into a mic and that's it. What's he so afraid of that makes it no-win? :S

I also wonder if there was ever any moment where say Axl and Slash called eachother up and discussed it. Or Axl and Duff going over the options. Or is all this communication through lawyers and representatives?

I just don't see how anything can lose anything over this.

Roger called David about Live8 after Bob Geldoff asked him to. I wonder if that special moment ever even happened.

Edited by username

Wow 51 pages already :D

So Axl decided not to attend, not so surprising with Steven's comments and the "demand" from Slash and Duff to play. We all knew Axl would never play on stage with Slash again.

It's sad though. I wanted Axl and Slash on the same stage for once, just acting like grown-ups and accepting the award gratuitously, and I really expected Axl to show up after the Eddie Trunk interview. But as things unfolded I guess it is not surprising that he decided not to show.

All in all I can't say I care much. My attention is on the coming tour :D

This might be sheer ignorance on my part, but I don't get the no win situation thing. At the very worst you show up, put your ass in a chair, say thanks into a mic and that's it. What's he so afraid of that makes it no-win? :S

I also wonder if there was ever any moment where say Axl and Slash called eachother up and discussed it. Or Axl and Duff going over the options. Or is all this communication through lawyers and representatives?

Roger called David about Live8 after Bob Geldoff asked him to. I wonder if that special moment ever even happened.

Axl can't possibly show up. Would you want to walk on stage and appear with 4 former band members who got you to where you are, knowing the kind of stunts you pulled to own the name etc etc etc.

I totally support Axl 's decision. Like others have said, he's staying true to himself. The man has integrity and self-respect. What he did takes a lot of guts. Though it's disappointing that he personally won't be inducted, I still respect his decision. And honestly, are you guys really that surprised? Axl's dedicated to his band. Not the band he used to play with. I'm just glad he's not giving in to what he doesn't want to do. There aren't many guys like him out there. And that's why he's my hero.

I couldn't have said it any better

This might be sheer ignorance on my part, but I don't get the no win situation thing. At the very worst you show up, put your ass in a chair, say thanks into a mic and that's it. What's he so afraid of that makes it no-win?

Because if he showed up and not played (which we all know he would never do), he would be the bad guy preventing the AFD lineup (minus Izzy) from playing on stage together again, because Slash, Duff and Steven have been very vocal about their desire to play. In other words, by showing up, even if he was polite and all that, he would still be the petulant, bad guy that prevented the fans from seeing a one-time reunion.

The ONLY way he could end up being the good guy was if he showed up AND played. But that, apparently and unfortunately, is not possible for Axl.

because if axl accepts the reward goes up on stage with his former band members where reunion rumors have been swirling forever, all over the forums and media is OMGZ REUNIONZ STARTS NOW!. or OMGZ COULD A REUNION B FAR BEHIND???? OMG

and then when months go by and axl is still doing touring and shit with the current guns n roses people will bitch about how axl is an asshole that gave them false hope by showing up at the award show with his former band mates.

Edited by bran

This might be sheer ignorance on my part, but I don't get the no win situation thing. At the very worst you show up, put your ass in a chair, say thanks into a mic and that's it. What's he so afraid of that makes it no-win?

Because if he showed up and not played (which we all know he would never do), he would be the bad guy preventing the AFD lineup (minus Izzy) from playing on stage together again, because Slash, Duff and Steven have been very vocal about their desire to play. In other words, by showing up, even if he was polite and all that, he would still be the petulant, bad guy that prevented the fans from seeing a one-time reunion.

The ONLY way he could end up being the good guy was if he showed up AND played. But that, apparently and unfortunately, is not possible for Axl.

I sure hope Slash, Adler, Duff perform some music, even if it means a stand in lead singer.

My point is this:

Well said and we are on the same page for the most part. The difference is that I came to grips a LONG time ago that there wouldn't be a reunion. I'm not naive about this nor did I have any hopes for a reunion nor did I really want one. I've been completely over the old lineup since I first saw the newer lineup in '00. Over and done with.

For me personally, my hopes were that he could put his damn pride aside for just 1 night and claim what's rightfully his. If anyone deserves the HOF, it's him, along with the other guys that made GN'R a household name.

I don't lose sleep over this and it won't affect my day in the least but it does sadden me that my favorite singer of all time is still acting like a bitch after all these years. We were all hell on wheels in our youth but we eventually grew up. He thinks it's still 1987 in his fantasyland.

And maybe I can't tell you who has been inducted into the hall of fame over the last 10 years but that's mainly because I don't give a shit about those other bands. I'm posting in a GN'R forum and that's the band that has always mattered to me. I've been lurking in the shadows since this site came into existence and finally decided to sign up in 06 to post when the mood struck me which hasn't been often. But this right here, this was worthy of coming out of retirement.

This paragraph to me is his reason for declining to be even inducted at all:

Under the circumstances I feel we've been polite, courteous, and open to an amicable solution in our efforts to work something out. Taking into consideration the history of Guns N' Roses, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in "our" induction (that for the record are decisions I don't agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make), and how (albeit no easy task) those involved with the Hall have handled things... no offense meant to anyone but the Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony doesn't appear to be somewhere I'm actually wanted or respected.

What has he tried to work out and to an amicable solution? Like you said he only has to go on stage and accept an award for his accomplishments. Sounds like he tried to force the Hall of Fame to include everyone else thats ever played under GNR?

Why don't you leave. And stop sucking Axl's balls

The bitter words of a defeated foe.

No, why don't you leave. You've been spamming this thread with your bullshit proclamations of doom ad nauseum. We get it. No, really. We do. You and your ilk were so caught up in your fantasy of a reunion, you neglected to observe the obvious clues that there wasn't gonna be a reunion, ever, or for the foreseeable future. But no, you thought if you wished and wished so hard, if you trolled Axl on the internet even more, if you pushed for a reunion with all of your messageboard glory and might... that somehow... some way... you would get what you wanted and Axl would do a one-off gig with the afd/uyi lineup(s) at the induction.

Well you sir, are a slow learner. Yeup, that's right, the difference between me and you is I'm a faster learner. You can label me an Axl fanboy if it makes you feel better. I learned a long time ago what the deal was. There is no reunion. That's the reality. And it has been for quite some time. You just didn't notice. Somehow.

No, why don't you leave. You've been spamming this thread with your bullshit proclamations of doom ad nauseum. We get it. No, really. We do. You and your ilk were so caught up in your fantasy of a reunion, you neglected to observe the obvious clues that there wasn't gonna be a reunion, ever, or for the foreseeable future. But no, you thought if you wished and wished so hard, if you trolled Axl on the internet even more, if you pushed for a reunion with all of your messageboard glory and might... that somehow... some way... you would get what you wanted and Axl would do a one-off gig with the afd/uyi lineup(s) at the induction.

Well you sir, are a slow learner. Yeup, that's right, the difference between me and you is I'm a faster learner. You can label me an Axl fanboy if it makes you feel better. I learned a long time ago what the deal was. There is no reunion. That's the reality. And it has been for quite some time. You just didn't notice. Somehow.

Yes a lot of people are upset that Axl isn't attending. I'm pretty sure most people would expect that he wouldn't perform.

Most people I think are upset because Axl cannot man up and accept a damn award.

i mean you would think people would get the fucking hint by now? axl just the other day said on tmz a reunion wouldnt happen in this life time, yet people on here are SHOCKED that he isnt going to the induction ceremony

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=717657&affid=100055

The part that caught my eye:

The hall said in a statement that it still plans to induct Rose with the rest of the group. "We are sorry he will not be able to accept his induction in person," it said.

Can Axl take legal action over this? I'm wondering since he seems so adamant that he not be inducted by stating it in several different ways in the letter.He spends half his life in courtrooms anyway.I think that would be downright hilarious if he tried to sue over this or take some kind of legal action....... :rofl-lol:

The biggest problem is when you hold that much anger for someone, it's stops you from living life and doing the things you like to do and should be doing. If you hold a ball under water it will take both of your hands to do it. The problem is now all your energy is being used up to hold the ball under the water, now you can't swim. Let the fuck go of the hate and swim away. This is not very healthy to harbor this shit for ever. At some point you die and fine out you wasted half of your life. Talk to someone that can help, so you can get this shit of your back and start to breath again.

Are you talking to Axl or the reunionists that have blamed him for everything for 20 years?

So u don't think Axl has anger issues, and that he would be better off if he was able to overcome them?

Numerous arrests as a teen and young adult.

His two main love interests both filed charges against him for physical violence.

Numerous fights with people, or punching or biting them.

All the rants - in concert or interviews.

How many managers and producers has he fired?

How many lawsuits as he been in?

Even things like coming to a forum and calling somebody a lesbian c*nt. The two recent YouTube videos, yelling at fans to get the f*ck away from him.

He has clearly battled anger issues his entire life. As well as the "poor ole me, everybody is out to get me" card as well.

Carrying around hate and anger is not a good thing for anybody. Even if it is your favorite singer, surely you can admit to that?

Haha

Surprised you managed to write that, breathe, and suck Axl's balls all at once

Are you gonna cry because Axl's not going to the induction? Or are you gonna cry because you realized you really are a delusional reunionist sociopath?

It's okay. It's fun watching you cry. And that's ultimately what this thread is. People like you crying. Axll has caused a short-circuit in your small assed brain, and let me tell you something... let me tell you something... [whispers] I'm gloating over you.[/whispers]

It's rather quite simple.

1. The RnR HOF and their industry buddies want to make a lot of money off of this so-called *reunion* for basically FREE. Axl will have none of that.

2. Slash and Steven need to take business and PR courses like Duff so that they learn to keep their mouths close.

3. Axl does not trust the intentions of most of the people involved.

4. Sorum needs to learn how to drum. Sorum's drumming really pisses off Axl. Sorum shouldn't be inducted in Axl's opinion.

Most importantly, Axl worked hard to revive GnR from its death at the hands of the alternative rock and new rock eras. He is not going to throw all down the drain for a bunch greedy industry execs and '80s has-been rockers.

- but mommy, i don't wanna be nominated

- ok lil axl, beta is here, don't worry, we'll sue those bad guys

- yay!

- now, go do some vocal training for the next tour

- mom! i do that on warm-up shows remember?

- oh, sorry honey... go play with that lana girl

- ok mommy, you're the best

- no dear, you're the best, now, that paycheck you had for me....