Would anybody else like to see Slash, Duff, Stevie and whoever else tour playing GNR songs this Summer?

ITW 2012

No, I wouldn't want to go see them play Guns N' Roses songs, I prefer the real thing and Guns N' Roses is touring Europe this summer. I wouldn't mind seeing them play their own material, though, perhaps a Velvet Revolver concert, or some Slash solo stuff.

One could argue that Axl and his current band aren't the "real thing" when they play the old songs.

If one were so inclined the same argument could be said of a band consisting of Slash, Steven and Duff. Fact is, though, that there is only one real Guns N' Roses and that band is coming to Europe this summer to play old and new Guns N' Roses songs.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is only one real Guns N' Roses and that band is coming to Europe this summer to play old and new Guns N' Roses songs.

yeah, but only so many fans actually buy that. Most of the people going to those shows know damn well that they're going to see Axl Rose and a band of replacements.

No, I wouldn't want to go see them play Guns N' Roses songs, I prefer the real thing and Guns N' Roses is touring Europe this summer. I wouldn't mind seeing them play their own material, though, perhaps a Velvet Revolver concert, or some Slash solo stuff.

One could argue that Axl and his current band aren't the "real thing" when they play the old songs.

If one were so inclined the same argument could be said of a band consisting of Slash, Steven and Duff. Fact is, though, that there is only one real Guns N' Roses and that band is coming to Europe this summer to play old and new Guns N' Roses songs.

That was my point. What exactly is the "real thing". Even I wouldn't consider Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven touring together to be Guns N Roses. So that same argument could be used by a lot of people when considering Axl touring and playing old Guns songs with a band who wrote none of the original songs. Is that the "real thing"? In my opinion, we haven't seen the "real thing" since the early 90's. But that's just my opinion.

Would anybody else like to see Slash, Duff, Stevie and whoever else tour playing GNR songs this Summer? I really think they should do it. I'm not a Myles fan, but the other guys sound so amazing together. New GNR has never played Paradise City this good, imo.

No.

Would anybody else like to see Slash, Duff, Stevie and whoever else tour playing GNR songs this Summer? I really think they should do it. I'm not a Myles fan, but the other guys sound so amazing together. New GNR has never played Paradise City this good, imo.

No, thanks... :blink:

there is only one real Guns N' Roses and that band is coming to Europe this summer to play old and new Guns N' Roses songs.

yeah, but only so many fans actually buy that. Most of the people going to those shows know damn well that they're going to see Axl Rose and a band of replacements.

Who thinks about musicians in terms of 'replacements'? People know they're going to see the current lineup. Frank Ferrer is no more defined by being a replacement than Matt Sorum was defined as being a replacement for Steven.

It is still Guns N' Roses. There has never been a constant long-term lineup in Guns N' Roses, not from the original lineup with Tracii Guns, via the AFD lineup with Steven, and on to the UYI lineup with Teddy, Gilby, Dizzy and Matt, via various intermediary lineups before the "new Guns" lineups came to be. But despite these changes in constituency it is still the same band. Bands rarely form, disband, form again, and disband again, and we have no reason to assume Guns N' Roses hasn't been in continuous existence since 1985, either. It's like a car, it might have different passengers from day to day, but it is the same car.

If you are so inclined to consider Guns N' Roses anno 2012 to be "Axl and his replacements", that's okay, but it is still Guns N' Roses. But again, if you are so inclined, you must be consistent enough to consider a band consisting of Slash, Duff and Steven also to not be Guns N' Roses. I personally prefer to hear Guns N' Roses play Guns N' Roses songs. Not to reject the versions Slash, Duff and Steven could make, it is just not the same for me without Axl on vocals. And I also prefer the way the current lineup of Guns N' Roses treats the classic material. They are less sloppy, more consistent, and add things I really like.

Slash + Duff + Adler/Matt is more GnR for sure than Axl n'friends... That being said I'd go with Axl's Guns anyway over any other lineup even if it was the complete AFD or UYI lineup bar Axl. Axl is just irreplaceable as both as a front man, unique vocals and stage presence/charisma. A bit like Queen without Mercury...

Edited by trqster

Slash + Duff + Adler/Matt is more GnR for sure than Axl n'friends...

There's nothing "more or less" Guns N' Roses, Guns N' Roses doesn't come in different sizes, either it IS Guns N' Roses or it ISN'T :). Slash, Duff and Steven playing would comprise 60 % of the AFD lineup but 0 % of Guns N' Roses. Whatever lineup featuring Axl under the Guns N' Roses name is 100 % Guns N' Roses.

It is still Guns N' Roses. There has never been a constant long-term lineup in Guns N' Roses, not from the original lineup with Tracii Guns, via the AFD lineup with Steven, and on to the UYI lineup with Teddy, Gilby, Dizzy and Matt, via various intermediary lineups before the "new Guns" lineups came to be. But despite these changes in constituency it is still the same band. Bands rarely form, disband, form again, and disband again, and we have no reason to assume Guns N' Roses hasn't been in continuous existence since 1985, either. It's like a car, it might have different passengers from day to day, but it is the same car.

If you are so inclined to consider Guns N' Roses anno 2012 to be "Axl and his replacements", that's okay, but it is still Guns N' Roses. But again, if you are so inclined, you must be consistent enough to consider a band consisting of Slash, Duff and Steven also to not be Guns N' Roses. I personally prefer to hear Guns N' Roses play Guns N' Roses songs. Not to reject the versions Slash, Duff and Steven could make, it is just not the same for me without Axl on vocals. And I also prefer the way the current lineup of Guns N' Roses treats the classic material. They are less sloppy, more consistent, and add things I really like.

While I totally agree with you that Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven together are not Guns N Roses, I think you are clutching at straws a bit to insinuate that this lineup of Guns is as important as any previous lineup. The Tracii Guns era was very short lived. They didn't really create any music together, except Axl and Izzy. You know very well that in those days various musicians in the Hollywood scene moved from band to band and that those bands had an ever changing lineup from one week or month to the next. That was the same with Rose, Hollywood Rose, La Guns, Guns N Roses and all the other bands on the Sunset Strip at that time. So Guns N Roses really started properly when the AFD lineup was cemented in 1985 and they went on their first tour to Seattle, hitch-hiking their way up there.

The quartet of Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy created the two albums that made Guns N Roses into a worldwide phenomenon, a household name. Steven was a part of AFD and Matt UYI. That lineup accounts for virtually all the music created by Guns N Roses. Since 1996 there has been a revolving door of band members. The only album they have created in that time is Chinese Democracy and many of the guys that played on that record - Buckethead, Finck etc - aren't even in the band anymore. Yes, this lineup is one incarnation of the band (because Axl owns the name), but you cannot place them anywhere near the level of importance as the AFD and UYI lineups in terms of the legacy, musical output and public image of the band.

While I totally agree with you that Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven together are not Guns N Roses, I think you are clutching at straws a bit to insinuate that this lineup of Guns is as important as any previous lineup.

I have never said today's lineup is as important as any previous lineups. In fact, I consider the AFD lineup to be the best lineup of Guns N' Roses ever. I would also point out that we have now moved from discuss objective technicalities (what is GN'R and what is not) and started to discuss subjective preferences (which lineup is the best). I have no problems with people hating the AFD lineup and saying it is the worst. That is opinions. In fact, I enjoy the fact that Guns N' Roses have existed for so many years with so many lineups creating so much diverse music that we can have a fan base with highly various reasons for beings fans.

The Tracii Guns era was very short lived. They didn't really create any music together, except Axl and Izzy. You know very well that in those days various musicians in the Hollywood scene moved from band to band and that those bands had an ever changing lineup from one week or month to the next. That was the same with Rose, Hollywood Rose, La Guns, Guns N Roses and all the other bands on the Sunset Strip at that time. So Guns N Roses really started properly when the AFD lineup was cemented in 1985 and they went on their first tour to Seattle, hitch-hiking their way up there.

Again we are looking at a very fuzzy expression, e.g. "starting properly". One might argue that a band starts "properly" when the band's music started to be created, when the image of the band is laid out, when the first shows were played, and so on and so on. For me, a band starts when it first originates. And I would say that is the only logical and linguistically correct way of looking at it. That is, when the first lineup emerge under the band's name. That being said, I agree that the first, earliest, original lineup, had little effect on the future of Guns N' Roses.

The quartet of Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy created the two albums that made Guns N Roses into a worldwide phenomenon, a household name. Steven was a part of AFD and Matt UYI. That lineup accounts for virtually all the music created by Guns N Roses. Since 1996 there has been a revolving door of band members. The only album they have created in that time is Chinese Democracy and many of the guys that played on that record - Buckethead, Finck etc - aren't even in the band anymore. Yes, this lineup is one incarnation of the band (because Axl owns the name), but you cannot place them anywhere near the level of importance as the AFD and UYI lineups in terms of the legacy, musical output and public image of the band.

Again, I have never said that today's lineup is as important as any other lineups, but if I felt so I could easily say it because it would be a completely subjective preference with no correct answer.

Edited by SoulMonster

While I totally agree with you that Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven together are not Guns N Roses, I think you are clutching at straws a bit to insinuate that this lineup of Guns is as important as any previous lineup.

I have never said today's lineup is as important as any previous lineups. In fact, I consider the AFD lineup to be the best lineup of Guns N' Roses ever. I would also point out that we have now moved from discuss objective technicalities (what is GN'R and what is not) and started to discuss subjective preferences (which lineup is the best). I have no problems with people hating the AFD lineup and saying it is the worst. That is opinions. In fact, I enjoy the fact that Guns N' Roses have existed for so many years with so many lineups creating so much diverse music that we can have a fan base with highly various reasons for beings fans.

The Tracii Guns era was very short lived. They didn't really create any music together, except Axl and Izzy. You know very well that in those days various musicians in the Hollywood scene moved from band to band and that those bands had an ever changing lineup from one week or month to the next. That was the same with Rose, Hollywood Rose, La Guns, Guns N Roses and all the other bands on the Sunset Strip at that time. So Guns N Roses really started properly when the AFD lineup was cemented in 1985 and they went on their first tour to Seattle, hitch-hiking their way up there.

Again we are looking at a very fuzzy expression, e.g. "starting properly". One might argue that a band starts "properly" when the band's music started to be created, when the image of the band is laid out, when the first shows were played, and so on and so on. For me, a band starts when it first originates. And I would say that is the only logical and linguistically correct way of looking at it. That is, when the first lineup emerge under the band's name. That being said, I agree that the first, earliest, original lineup, had little effect on the future of Guns N' Roses.

Again, I have never said that today's lineup is as important as any other lineups, but if I felt so I could easily say it because it would be a completely subjective preference with no correct answer.

Fair enough. Apologies for misinterpreting what you said as far the the most important lineup. My impression was that you thought of the current lineup to be just as important as the old one.

Fair enough. Apologies for misinterpreting what you said as far the the most important lineup. My impression was that you thought of the current lineup to be just as important as the old one.

Oh no, if I had a time machine I would definitely go back and see GN'R in 1998, more than GN'R now in 2012 :). But even less would I like to see Slash, Duff and Steven play GN'R songs. I also prefer chocolate ice to vanilla. Subjective preferences :).

According to all the cupcake alt accounts from gunsnfnroses.com, stevie on drums makes VR "Guns n Fuckin Roses!" LMAO

Was wondering why each time I log in there are a virtual plethoria of new names spewing bile.

Not a decent forum in any sense of the word,account swapping,getting multiple accounts here.Why bother to terrorize this forum,it won't relegate that other forum to a respectable discussion board.

The band that played @ the RRHOF was not Guns N' Roses,and the fact that three members,2 current and one alumnnus elected not to participate says something there.

The Hof reminded me of those guys that shout USA when they on vaycay in Europe.

Lol. I know I was getting seriously pissed off with the guy shouting wooo in the last video i posted in the other thread. Just shut the fuck up and listen to the speeches, cheer once they've stopped talking.

Edited by Original GNR

Whatever is touring in Europe this year definitely is not the "real" GNR. The real thing will always be Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven. They are the ones who gave their blood , sweat, and tears to build the band into what it became. NuGNR were hired. They weren't the ones who scratched and clawed their way to the top. They are a cheap copy of the real deal. Not that they aren't talented, but they lack the passion, the heart and soul that those 5 guys once had. However, watching the HOF, I felt it. I felt the passion that's missing in Axl's cover band. And watching it made it even sadder that Axl (and Izzy) couldn't be up there with them

And it would be awesome if Slash, Duff, Steven, and Myles or whoever were to tour. I'd go in a heartbeat.

Edited by luvaxl4ever