Would anybody else like to see Slash, Duff, Stevie and whoever else tour playing GNR songs this Summer?

ITW 2012

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I wouldn't want to go see them play Guns N' Roses songs, I prefer the real thing and Guns N' Roses is touring Europe this summer. I wouldn't mind seeing them play their own material, though, perhaps a Velvet Revolver concert, or some Slash solo stuff.

One could argue that Axl and his current band aren't the "real thing" when they play the old songs.

If one were so inclined the same argument could be said of a band consisting of Slash, Steven and Duff. Fact is, though, that there is only one real Guns N' Roses and that band is coming to Europe this summer to play old and new Guns N' Roses songs.

Whatever is touring in Europe this year definitely is not the "real" GNR. The real thing will always be Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven. They are the ones who gave their blood , sweat, and tears to build the band into what it became. NuGNR were hired. They weren't the ones who scratched and clawed their way to the top. They are a cheap copy of the real deal. Not that they aren't talented, but they lack the passion, the heart and soul that those 5 guys once had. However, watching the HOF, I felt it. I felt the passion that's missing in Axl's cover band. And watching it made it even sadder that Axl (and Izzy) couldn't be up there with them.

'Guns N' Roses' is just a band name. Whoever has the right to that name is the real band. If someone else, like my buddies and I, decide to play as "Guns N' Roses" we would be fake just as it would be if Slash, Myles, Duff, and Matt decides to play as "Guns N' Roses". I understand and appreciate that you don't think the current Guns N' Roses lineup is as good as a previous lineup, but that has no bearings on the name. As I mentioned before, a band is like a car, the passengers may differ but the car is still the same. The car doesn't become "fake" or more "real" depending upon who sits in it. There are simply not many variations of Guns N' Roses, just many former lineups.

As to the "cheap copy" jab. I don't think the current lineup tries to copy a previous lineup. Of course they have to play some old songs, and they do that admirably, but they also play lots of songs most of the current lineup has helped to create. They might have refused to play old songs, and only play songs off of CD, but we all know that that would NOT be accepted by the concert audience. So what you are saying is just a petty jab at the current lineup, which is entirely unnecessary. I prefer the old lineups, too, but I can still be supportive of the current lineup and hope they will create more great music in the future.

I would also point out that although many agree with you that today's lineup is inferior to old lineups, everybody of those won't agree with you that the AFD lineup was more influential and important than, say, the UYI lineup. It might easily be argued that it was with the UYI lineup Guns N' Roses really became one of the biggest bands in the world. And if you are going to argue that the AFD lineup was more important because they laid the groundwork for that success, then as a devil's advocate I might point out that then the original lineup (the one with the founding fathers) must be even more important since it laid the groundwork for the AFD lineup.

No, I wouldn't want to go see them play Guns N' Roses songs, I prefer the real thing and Guns N' Roses is touring Europe this summer. I wouldn't mind seeing them play their own material, though, perhaps a Velvet Revolver concert, or some Slash solo stuff.

One could argue that Axl and his current band aren't the "real thing" when they play the old songs.

If one were so inclined the same argument could be said of a band consisting of Slash, Steven and Duff. Fact is, though, that there is only one real Guns N' Roses and that band is coming to Europe this summer to play old and new Guns N' Roses songs.

Whatever is touring in Europe this year definitely is not the "real" GNR. The real thing will always be Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven. They are the ones who gave their blood , sweat, and tears to build the band into what it became. NuGNR were hired. They weren't the ones who scratched and clawed their way to the top. They are a cheap copy of the real deal. Not that they aren't talented, but they lack the passion, the heart and soul that those 5 guys once had. However, watching the HOF, I felt it. I felt the passion that's missing in Axl's cover band. And watching it made it even sadder that Axl (and Izzy) couldn't be up there with them.

'Guns N' Roses' is just a band name. Whoever has the right to that name is the real band. If someone else, like my buddies and I, decide to play as "Guns N' Roses" we would be fake just as it would be if Slash, Myles, Duff, and Matt decides to play as "Guns N' Roses". I understand and appreciate that you don't think the current Guns N' Roses lineup is as good as a previous lineup, but that has no bearings on the name. As I mentioned before, a band is like a car, the passengers may differ but the car is still the same. The car doesn't become "fake" or more "real" depending upon who sits in it. There are simply not many variations of Guns N' Roses, just many former lineups.

As to the "cheap copy" jab. I don't think the current lineup tries to copy a previous lineup. Of course they have to play some old songs, and they do that admirably, but they also play lots of songs most of the current lineup has helped to create. They might have refused to play old songs, and only play songs off of CD, but we all know that that would NOT be accepted by the concert audience. So what you are saying is just a petty jab at the current lineup, which is entirely unnecessary. I prefer the old lineups, too, but I can still be supportive of the current lineup and hope they will create more great music in the future.

I would also point out that although many agree with you that today's lineup is inferior to old lineups, everybody of those won't agree with you that the AFD lineup was more influential and important than, say, the UYI lineup. It might easily be argued that it was with the UYI lineup Guns N' Roses really became one of the biggest bands in the world. And if you are going to argue that the AFD lineup was more important because they laid the groundwork for that success, then as a devil's advocate I might point out that then the original lineup (the one with the founding fathers) must be even more important since it laid the groundwork for the AFD lineup.

It is a cheap copy. It's like a Louis Vuitton bag (sorry for the bag reference, but it's what i know! :lol::ph34r: ). I can certainly get a copy that looks and feels like the real deal, but at the end of the day the craftmanship isn't what it would be if it were authentic.

I hope that Axl does create new music. I would never wish failure on anyone.

They could just call it "Guns".

Or revive Slash's Snakepit with Myles/Slash/Duff/Matt/Steven/Gilby

That would rock. Snakepit is maybe the most underrated band of all time. Maybe even call Rod, he had a cool voice.

Slash, Duff, Steven, Matt and Gilby made a fantastic performance at the HOF. They are the closest thing to GNR that I've seen since 1993.

This!

So if I were somehow able to trick Axl into legally forfeiting the rights to the name Guns n' Roses over into my legal possession, you know, like giving me the title to a used car since that's such a great analogy, then when my friends and I grab our guitars and drums and such and start a lousy version of "Welcome to the Jungle," then we would indeed be Guns n' Roses? Fucking sweet. I'm gonna get right to work on that law degree. I could cash in on this big time. Never knew rock fans were so attuned to legalities. I could totally exploit that.

As a side note, my favorite lineup of the Beatles was Michael Jackson.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

So if I were somehow able to trick Axl into legally forfeiting the rights to the name Guns n' Roses over into my legal possession, you know, like giving me the title to a used car since that's such a great analogy, then when my friends and I grab our guitars and drums and such and start a lousy version of "Welcome to the Jungle," then we would indeed be Guns n' Roses? Fucking sweet. I'm gonna get right to work on that law degree. I could cash in on this big time. Never knew rock fans were so attuned to legalities. I could totally exploit that.

:rofl-lol::thumbsup:

Edited by Original GNR

:rofl-lol:

Slash and Duff prob talked to lawyers about that paperwork years ago, the amount of money they made from that tour was prob. more than the licensing money Axl gets. They get nice sized publishing checks, put asses in seats because of the GNR history, and in coming years, people can see them separately as well as together,for as long as they feel like playing.

Just watched performance videos of the HoF and as I sat there watching it, I found myself thinking "So this is what GNR would be like had Slash/Duff/Steven got the rights to the band name. They would be like The Doors are without Jim Morrison. Nothing special, and pretty forgetable"

The HOF is an excellent example of why Axl Rose IS Guns N' Roses. You can replace anyone else that's ever been in the band. You can't replace Axl. Like Billie Joe said, He's a bad ass fucking singer, one of the best frontmen to ever touch a microphone. With a vocal range that goes from a quiet whisper to a powerhouse, until he is screaming bloody murder.

Unlike Myles who reminds me and has about as much stage presence as Scott Stapp.

Just watched performance videos of the HoF and as I sat there watching it, I found myself thinking "So this is what GNR would be like had Slash/Duff/Steven got the rights to the band name. They would be like The Doors are without Jim Morrison. Nothing special, and pretty forgetable"

The HOF is an excellent example of why Axl Rose IS Guns N' Roses. You can replace anyone else that's ever been in the band. You can't replace Axl. Like Billie Joe said, He's a bad ass fucking singer, one of the best frontmen to ever touch a microphone. With a vocal range that goes from a quiet whisper to a powerhouse, until he is screaming bloody murder.

Unlike Myles who reminds me and has about as much stage presence as Scott Stapp.

Gottal laugh. Even though it will never be GNR without Axl, the band just showed once and for all at HOF, the the same goes without them. They sounded so much better than the current band that it isn't even funny.

Slash + Duff + Adler/Matt is more GnR for sure than Axl n'friends...

There's nothing "more or less" Guns N' Roses, Guns N' Roses doesn't come in different sizes, either it IS Guns N' Roses or it ISN'T :). Slash, Duff and Steven playing would comprise 60 % of the AFD lineup but 0 % of Guns N' Roses. Whatever lineup featuring Axl under the Guns N' Roses name is 100 % Guns N' Roses.

A band is more than just the name they throw on marquee. My GNR wrote afd, gnr lies, uyi 1&2....whereas half of your band is missing from its only record....a mediocre one at that.

Gottal laugh. Even though it will never be GNR without Axl, the band just showed once and for all at HOF, the the same goes without them. They sounded so much better than the current band that it isn't even funny.

Not at all. Couldn't disagree with you more. The current guns are so much better musicians than the old line up it's not even funny. Thal can play anything Slash can, Slash can't play anything Thal can. I'd say it's a push with Duff and Tommy. I'm not going to argue any of the guitarists over Izzy. Frank is so superior to Adler's playing it's not even funny. New GNR has WAYYYYY more energy than the snooze fest that took place at the HoF.

Edited by Ultrastar

Exactly right. To say that Axl IS Guns N Roses is an insult to the other band members. There will never be a Guns N Roses without Axl Rose, and at the same time, for the vast majority of GnR fans - there will never be a Guns N Roses without Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven (+Matt to a lesser degree).

Edited by Original GNR

Exactly right. To say that Axl IS Guns N Roses is an insult to the other band members. There will never be a Guns N Roses without Axl Rose, and at the same time, for the vast majority of GnR fans - there will never be a Guns N Roses without Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven (+Matt to a lesser degree).

Actually there will be and there is. They are about to tour Europe. Hope you can catch them in concert.

If they're so talented, where's the music? Aside from a handful of posters in the internet, no one thinks CD stands next to afd or uyi's. This lineup released one album in 15 years. The real thing could have put out 8 in this time frame. Playing a few live shows with some dude dressed up as a Japanese scene girl isn't what I call an improvement.

Actually there will be and there is. They are about to tour Europe. Hope you can catch them in concert.

Yeah, but they're Europeans. That explains itself. :P

Yeah you are right, they have better musical taste than America.

Yeah, but they're Europeans. That explains itself. :P

Yeah you are right, they have better musical taste than America.

I'm European (British actually) and believe me, whilst our audiences love hearing Guns songs played live, they would cream themselves over a reunion of the classic lineup.