Retro Rock Review: Guns N' Roses, CHINESE DEMOCRACY

vaida

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I liked the review...seemed fair. Wasn't ass kissing or overly negative.

Thanx. It wasn't intended to be a bash piece. I was tryin' to be "fair 'n' balanced," y'know, like Fox News. :D

For me the reality is, Chinese Democracy doesn't sound like Guns N'Roses.

Like the reviewer said, the guitar parts were the good bits

Exacta-mundo!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks... it's me, the wanna-be writer guy again... thought some of you might find my latest blog entry interesting.

I've started a new series of entries called "Forgotten Hard Rock Albums" and in my latest piece (on the long-lost New Jersey band Bad Biscut and their 1994 debut, "The American Dream") I have a funny little story involving Steven Adler... the first time I saw Bad Biscut live I also happened to meet Adler, and .. .well, give it a look if you're so inclined. I thought it was funny anyway....

Bad Biscut - THE AMERICAN DREAM and my strange meeting with Steven Adler

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Forgotten-Albums-Bad-Biscut-THE-AMERICAN-DREAM-1994

Comments are welcomed, good or bad... I'm from New Jersey, I can take it. :D

If you don't totally hate that one, try these other two entries in the series... they're not GN'R related at all but they're fun....

Piledriver - METAL INQUISITION - a Canadian thrash "band" who never really were a "band" at all.

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Forgotten-Hard-Rock-Albums-Piledriver-METAL-INQUISITION-1985

Babylon A.D. - some of you might remember their song "The Kid Goes Wild," which was in "RoboCop 2."

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Forgotten-Albums-Babylon-AD-BABYLON-AD-1989

Thanks for lookin'. Rock on.

(Side note: whether they're being played by Buckethead, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, or any of the multitudes of other six-stringers credited in the booklet, the guitar solos on Chinese Democracy are really the only place where this album truly "sounds" like GN'R, if that makes any sense... you can almost picture Axl in the studio, repeatedly beating his hapless guitarists with a stick, saying, "No, no, NO! You have to sound MORE like Slash!")

...say whaaaa...?

Seriously, was this guy on crack?

EDIT: On a side note; the dude obviously dislikes post-AFD efforts. It is true though that if you take a listen to CD expecting another WTTJ, prepare to be very disappointed.

Indeed that quote is ridiculous

I also find it amusing that he thinks Better, out of all songs on the album, has absolutely zero potential :huh:

LOL, Best Buy unloaded all of their copies to Dollar Tree, who are in turn trying to unload them for $1 :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

6421434_f520.jpg

Best deal in town! :shades:

It's about time the Dollar Tree sold a semi-decent CD... the only CDs I ever find at the one near my house are leftover boy-band albums and no-name rappers...

Edited by FatFreddysCat

• 1 month later...

It's about time the Dollar Tree sold a semi-decent CD... the only CDs I ever find at the one near my house are leftover boy-band albums and no-name rappers...

Suddenly the Dollar Tree is becoming a CD treasure trove... just picked up an awesome KISS tribute CD there by Hayseed Dixie called "KISS MY GRASS" -- bluegrass/country covers of KISS classics... it's effin' hilarious!!!

LOL, Best Buy unloaded all of their copies to Dollar Tree, who are in turn trying to unload them for $1 :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

6421434_f520.jpg

fuck, man...that's really sad.

thing is, Best Buy DID have the exclusive for a while -- but after that year was up, other retailers were allowed to start selling the album (listed under a new ISBN number, probably) so chances are Best Buy had to get rid of all the original stock and sold it to third parties. i bet if you walk in to best buy you'll find the new CD (the same one sold in any other retail music store) at a higher price.

nevertheless, it's sort of depressing to see 'the most anticipated album of all time,' the one we all salivated over for years and years on this forum, being reduced to $1.00. :( i still really dig the record even if it's not perfect.

6421434_f520.jpg

fuck, man...that's really sad.

thing is, Best Buy DID have the exclusive for a while -- but after that year was up, other retailers were allowed to start selling the album (listed under a new ISBN number, probably) so chances are Best Buy had to get rid of all the original stock and sold it to third parties. i bet if you walk in to best buy you'll find the new CD (the same one sold in any other retail music store) at a higher price.

nevertheless, it's sort of depressing to see 'the most anticipated album of all time,' the one we all salivated over for years and years on this forum, being reduced to $1.00. :( i still really dig the record even if it's not perfect.

Yeah, most of the retailer "exclusives" are only good for the first year of release, then it's anything goes. Just recently I got a copy of AC/DC's "Black Ice" (which was originally a Wal-Mart exclusive back in '08) from Hastings..ordered it "used" from their web site, and when it arrived it was still new and sealed in the wrapper... for 1.49. Can't argue with that deal.

I think the album is no masterpiece n its defenetly no were near AFD , Lies, or Illusions. Still it's a good rock album that if Axl had not taken half his prime to make people would see the album n apprtiate it for what it is a good rock album.

I think the album is no masterpiece n its defenetly no were near AFD , Lies, or Illusions. Still it's a good rock album that if Axl had not taken half his prime to make people would see the album n apprtiate it for what it is a good rock album.

This.