1999 version of Chinese Democracy

shotgunblues1978

This version of IRS was leaked with the old version of TWAT and the Brian May version of Catcher (same source). You can tell because they all have the same lower quality of sound as it has been speculated that they were recorded onto a cassette tape by some opportunist who didn't have the time or chance to record them with in a higher quality fashion.

The original IRS leak didn't have Robin's "main" solo, just his little slow solo during the breakdown. But my belief is that the first IRS leak we heard was an alternate version of the track where they removed that the longer Robin solo

IRS, TWAT, The Blues, Oh My God, Catcher, Madagascar, Oh My God, Chinese Democracy, etc. were all songs that existed before Buckethead joined the band. When Bucket came in a lot of the Robin solos that were once the main solos in songs became secondary. In particular, this happened on TWAT and IRS. As IRS existed in 1999, it stands to reason that Robin had the main solo on the song and that solo is the one that is now in the middle

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There Was A Time definitely sounds way better without that shitty intro that sounds like it was made in garageband

I think the final version of Catcher absolutely shits all over the demo. Honestly, Brian May's solo was unremarkable, I much prefer Bumblefoot's. The song as a whole just sounds so sluggish compared to the more colorful and upbeat final cut, if any song benefited from constant tweaking it was Catcher in the Rye

glad someone else also sees the catcher demo inferior to the album version. i love brian may as a guitar player but i didnt think his solo was that great, i thought bumbles was awesome and fit well with the song

There Was A Time definitely sounds way better without that shitty intro that sounds like it was made in garageband

I think the final version of Catcher absolutely shits all over the demo. Honestly, Brian May's solo was unremarkable, I much prefer Bumblefoot's. The song as a whole just sounds so sluggish compared to the more colorful and upbeat final cut, if any song benefited from constant tweaking it was Catcher in the Rye

glad someone else also sees the catcher demo inferior to the album version. i love brian may as a guitar player but i didnt think his solo was that great, i thought bumbles was awesome and fit well with the song

Lol, I respect your opinion but I completely disagree. May's solo was perfect, very simple and melodic. Ron's version starts from nowhere and goes nowhere. Just random notes, IMO. That's why I prefer Buckethead, he's also a shredder but his melodic stuff is way better than Ron's. CITR Demo is better than the final version. Just my opinion, Ron is a great guitar player, no doubt.

Edited by maynard

Well I have a feeling that the version of IRS in the first post is a remix of some sort, and not an original demo. The reason is because for some reason Robins first solo is put as the second main solo, the one that Buckethead did on the album, and Ron live. Robins solo should be the first one, not the second.

The first ever IRS that leaked was also cleaner than this one, but I also always loved that acoustic intro on the demo. I know Robins first solo wasn't on the original demo, but I have a feeling that the second solo was similar to the Buckethead one, and not Robins one.

And lastly wasn't the first time we heard Robins solo on this track, during the batches of leaks in 2007?. So Robins solo never even existed until he started playing it live in 06, so it definitely wouldn't have been on a 1999 version of IRS. :drevil:

The '99 demo contains an outro solo by Robin, on the released version on CD this solo was inserted at about 1:25 in the song, with Bucket providing the new outro solo.

On some other IRS demo's Robins original outro was removed entirely and not re-inserted earlier in the song like the finished CD version.

This is how I remember the IRS leaks going...

Eddie Trunk Show- long after it had aired we got a crappy static cassette recording for the airing, hard to make out what version this was but sounded close to the "real" first leak.

First leak was a real clean sounding file and did not have Robins original outro/solo on it.

The 99 demo leaked with no Bucket and with Robins outro.

The band started playing the song live with Robins outro reinserted as the first solo as it would appear on the final CD...

I guess when Robin left Axl just deleted his outro with Buckets, but when Robin came back, they at some point decided to reinsert Robins original outro as the 1st solo.

This is how I remember the IRS leaks going...

Eddie Trunk Show- long after it had aired we got a crappy static cassette recording for the airing, hard to make out what version this was but sounded close to the "real" first leak.

First leak was a real clean sounding file and did not have Robins original outro/solo on it.

The 99 demo leaked with no Bucket and with Robins outro.

The band started playing the song live with Robins outro reinserted as the first solo as it would appear on the final CD...

I guess when Robin left Axl just deleted his outro with Buckets, but when Robin came back, they at some point decided to reinsert Robins original outro as the 1st solo.

Sounds about right, I guess I just classed the first clean sounding leak.....The one with no Robin solo at all, as the first, as it was the first one I heard. :blink:

The first IRS leak I heard had to be around early 2006, maybe Jan-Feb 2006. As it was the first time I started visiting forums, and came across it and absolutey LOVED it. But it's news to me that Robins solo existed in 1999, as I thought he created it around the time he started playing it live in 2006...

It still baffles me why Axl cut Brian Mays' solo out of CITR. I realise he found new guitarists and gave them the chance to contribute. But I love the CITR demo. I love all versions to be honest because I felt like we were unfortunately rewarded with alternate versions to some songs.