Is Axl using a backing track live?

Jeez

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- Sebaz, as for that video it's clearly fake. It's the same recording played twice with a small delay between them.

not fake.... take 2 mp3 of civil war and check yourself...

And do what? Play them with a small delay and tell myself that is Axl singing with a playback? No thanks.

You can hear by the instruments in the video it's the exact same recording....

Edited by Jeez

- Sebaz, as for that video it's clearly fake. It's the same recording played twice with a small delay between them.

not fake.... take 2 mp3 of civil war and check yourself...

And do what? Play them with a small delay and tell myself that is Axl singing with a playback? No thanks.

No, compare "When everybody's fightin' for their promised land" line and you can probe that its a pre-recorded voice.

You can hear by the instruments in the video it's the exact same recording.... I just looked up two different live recordings of civil war from 2011 and the vocals are not even close to the same. Or do you think Axl is only using a playback for that one sentence because it's so damn hard to sing? Come on man..

You can hear by the instruments in the video it's the exact same recording.... I just looked up two different live recordings of civil war from 2011 and the vocals are not even close to the same. Or do you think Axl is only using a playback for that one sentence because it's so damn hard to sing? Come on man..

its not hard to sing.... its a crucial line where he needs to breathe for continue singing an high note

Ignorance is bliss?

its not hard to sing.... its a crucial line where he needs to breathe for continue singing an high note

Ignorance is bliss?

This has to be the dumbest thing I've heard here yet. He is using a playback for 1 sentence because he needs to breath before the chorus? Hahaha

Btw, according to the clip you posted the high note you are talking about that he is breathing for is also a playback. So he has a playback for one sentence so he can breath and reach a note that is also sung by a playback?

And Franks snare, hi-hat and cymbals are also played identically in both clips. I think they are also playbacks.

Edited by Jeez

Hey Im just wondering if anyone knows if Axl is using some kind of backing track to his vocals live? For instance in the chorus of Chinese Democracy live it sounds like there is some kind of backing track going on? Or is that someone else in the band singing? I've noticed it in just a few songs, and it really sounds like it's Axl's voice twice.

In this clip from Sao Paulo Axl is telling the band to stop the song at 01:55 (CD), it takes the others a few seconds to react and while Axl is NOT singing you then can hear another voice fading in as soon as the chorus begins - which sounds like Axl.

Sorry if a similar thread has been made before, I'm new around here :)

Welcome Jeez to the jungle forum :)

Well who was the "pussy" here - no longer does he threaten to "knock them out" but just "we will leave". He's no fun any more B)

What did the person do does anyone know? Stupid people in the audience need to be named & shamed or kicked out if they deliberately disrupt the concert like this - lots of you people pay big money for the concert/travel/accommodation & should not be inconvenienced by idiots in the crowd.

In 2009 he really was overdoing it with the backtracking. It came across so noticeably because he was using the studio backing vocals off CD so it just sounded so unnatural. Since the US tour started last year (maybe earlier than that, I'm not sure) he's cut down a ton on the studio vocals and now has live backing vocals by Tommy, Ron and Chris. There are still some songs that have the studio backtracks, like Better, but for the most part Axl has cut down his use of the studio versions dramatically. I think it sounds much more natural and better now.

Ignorance is bliss?

This has to be the dumbest thing I've heard here yet. He is using a playback for 1 sentence because he needs to breath before the chorus? Hahaha

Btw, according to the clip you posted the high note you are talking about that he is breathing for is also a playback. So he has a playback for one sentence so he can breath and reach a note that is also sung by a playback?

And Franks snare, hi-hat and cymbals are also played identically in both clips. I think they are also playbacks.

Heard the video, its not even the exact same line: Axl clearly was consistent in those two recordings, but it isn't the same thing as there are subtle variations. And you know that even if he sings this line he still have plenty of time to catch his breath for the next one, right?

Also, to some guy who said "its impossible to play the song at the same speed", its pretty obvious that the new band use methronome since 2002 at least. You can even match The Blues from that era with the album version and it sounds perfect. So yeah, that doesn't mean a thing.

In Axl's case, he would most likely prefer BG vocals only... He already has a live band playing, and several guitars, keys etc... he doesn't need anymore in his ear. All he wants is to have that added vocal track to support him when he's belting stuff out, out of breath etc. I don't knock him for it. But he did at one point in the 90s, condemn bands that did that. He said something about 'tape machines under the stage' or something.

I think you guys have misunderstood.. I doubt he is using a vocal backing track to support him when he is out of breath and stuff like that. There is a backing track behind Axls' live lead vocal to give an extra punch to for instance a chorus- an effect. Just like it is on the actual recording on CD. Other times he is having a vocal backing track because on the record he is singing two different things at the same time, which he for obvious reasons can't do live.

I also read somewhere when someone critized Axl for needing three guitarists live, that Axl answered on for instance Appetite there is a lot of guitar layers. It's not just two guitar tracks (Izzy and Slash). They have played multiple tracks that are played upon each other (he did say how many, but I can't remember the exact number. It was more than 5). This is very common for recording, as it sounds better and more compact. This is also why there is three guitarists live.

Each artist uses it for different reasons. He may have pre-recorded the higher lines in songs, so he can take the low road sometimes. I pretty sure he did that in Madagascar in 06 or one of the other CD songs... or maybe it was later with TWAT or something.

Recording, and having layered guitars sounds fantastic on an album because it easier to hear, sounds wider etc... This is a killer mix of guitars.... Not a huge fan of this song, but the guitar tracking is probably the best I've heard in a song in relation to what we're talking about:

Live, in a venue, GNR doesn't need that many for great sound, it tends to get muddy (unless it's a mix of acoustic 6-string, 12-string, and electric type deal). I'm a fan of the stripped down 2 guitars format. Hell, even Zeppelin was a 'wall of sound' with just one guitar. My favourite combo is guitar, bass and synth/strings... There is a CDN band called The Tea Party ( zero relation to the political party) that mastered this in 1996. If you dare, check out the albums Transmission and Edges of Twilight.

I'm pretty sure Axl didn't use pre-recorded higher lines in Madagascar in 2006 and I doubt he used it in any songs after that. He wouldn't fuck up as much as he does with this aid. It's actually obvious that he doesn't use anything besides backing vocals, otherwise he wouldn't be so inconsistent.

About the guitar in the live set, I don't think GNR uses three guitars to have a "wall of sound", but rather because each musician have their own style that compliments each other. Also, there are some songs that would need an adaptation live with less guitars, like Better (DJ plays the riff, Bumble plays the bluesy riffs and Fortus the rhythm), Shacklers (DJ plays the whammy riff, Fortus the heavy power chords rhythm and Ron the tapping at the end of the song) or Scraped (DJ plays the power chords, Fortus the funky-wah guitar and Ron the crunch rhythm).

I remember an interview at Donnington where Axl was asked if Guns had anything in common with Iron Maiden and he said 'I certainly hope not' - well with the three guitarists they certainly do these days rock3

yea. The both have drumsticks as well...

I just noticed some fuckhead pointing a green laserpen at Axl during the rant. Does that c#nt know those things can blind people?

On topic, yes he uses a backing track live on some songs, mostly when harmonies or dual vocals are used(Shacklers as well). I personally don't think he should or needs to.

Hm, i didn't realize pointing a laser at a screen could blind somebody.