Jeez

no using backing tracks is basically lip synching, it is pathetic

No

and Radiohead does not use backing tracks, or does not rely on them

Factually untrue in the first, irrelevant in the second

when Axl and other artists that rely on vocals lip synch it is pathetic

Axl does not rely on lip syncing, so...

and they should tell you in advance

You should also tell them in advance that you are mentally retarded so they can put a cone around your neck to keep you from choking on the confetti at the end.

freaking sad

Attempt at trolling.

ok loser, you must love spending money at a concert so you can here a pre-recorded version of someone singing, I guess when you are an idiot like you are that is ok

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, he has been using backing tracks since at least '06. I pointed this out in '06 and the mob here chastised me as they thought I was essentially calling Axl a lip syncher. Of course what they didn't understand is that there is a difference between lip synching, and having a background vocal track (which many excellent bands use like radiohead). i never said axl was lip synching, and now it's widely known that these tracks are used. so fuck you to the haters. :fuckyou:

Are you sure that you really meant 2006? Can you provide some example?

No

You should also tell them in advance that you are mentally retarded so they can put a cone around your neck to keep you from choking on the confetti at the end.

freaking sad

Attempt at trolling.

I'm visualizing "some people" choking on confetti :lol:

Thanks for that picture Flayer :thumbsup:

Aerosmith has used full-on backing tracks for years,doesn't prevent them putting on one helluva show.

I'm of the opinion that a majority of these "ohmygawd backing tracks" people arent aware of the difference in what can be accomplished in a studio vs. A live performance.

Axl uses backing tracks on the Chinese Democracy song because of all the layers of vocals and stuff.

He doesn't lip synch. That's a fact.

This! The lyp synch Bullshit has been circulating for years and it wasn't true then,isn't true now.

yes, he has been using backing tracks since at least '06. I pointed this out in '06 and the mob here chastised me as they thought I was essentially calling Axl a lip syncher. Of course what they didn't understand is that there is a difference between lip synching, and having a background vocal track (which many excellent bands use like radiohead). i never said axl was lip synching, and now it's widely known that these tracks are used. so fuck you to the haters. :fuckyou:

yes, i'm sure it was 2006. I don't have time to search the forum now, but people thought I was crazy at the time. i remember providing video evidence and people were trying to excuse it on any number of things including: poor qiality video, other band members singing, the audience singing, etc. but attending several of those gigs and listening to the "wall of sound" (i've been playing and writing music since 1993), it was clear as day.

Also, if I was just making this all up, I must be a fucking fortune teller, since the band CLEARLY started using it in 2010 (when we have much more and better videos on youtube than we did from 2006).

No

freaking sad

Attempt at trolling.

ok loser, you must love spending money at a concert so you can here a pre-recorded version of someone singing, I guess when you are an idiot like you are that is ok

Can't win an arguement so you resort to name calling? Impressive skillz there Jethro. :monkey:

No

freaking sad

Attempt at trolling.

You can't just make things up to support an argument. Where has Radiohead ever used a back track?

There's a small possibility that earlier in their career, on some TV show, they were made to do it like many bands are but even that... which wouldn't support your argument at all... I do not think ever happened. How is that irrelevant? One professional band doesn't use backing tracks, another does, that's pretty relevant to a discussion on GNR using backing tracks. Which is pretty weak sauce honestly.

yes, i'm sure it was 2006. I don't have time to search the forum now, but people thought I was crazy at the time. i remember providing video evidence and people were trying to excuse it on any number of things including: poor qiality video, other band members singing, the audience singing, etc. but attending several of those gigs and listening to the "wall of sound" (i've been playing and writing music since 1993), it was clear as day.

Also, if I was just making this all up, I must be a fucking fortune teller, since the band CLEARLY started using it in 2010 (when we have much more and better videos on youtube than we did from 2006).

Hey, I was just asking nicely because I've watched those 2006 videos A LOT and never noticed a thing (actually, it was really unconsistent due to Axl's ever worry vocal conditions), hence why I thought you could have misunderstood it to 2009 instead. Didn't say you were making this all up.

But really, back in 2006 we had several DVD-quality bootlegs (to name a few: Novarock, New Jersey and LA in video and also Osaka and Brisbane 2007 in audio) and at least three soundboards (considering the three songs from the Download festival and forgetting the awful RIR-Lisbon 2006) and I really never noticed anything prerecorded besides some backing drum tracks like in IRS and Better. I'm not saying you're lying, but I'm asking why wouldn't this be so noticeble back then while in 2009 to 2012 it all got so clear? Also, could you tell me which songs (if you remember) you thought Axl used the backing track?

And yeah, I've been playing and writing music too since 1995, but I didn't have a chance to attend to any of those gigs, to be fair. But again, Im not saying you're a liar, I just enjoy the conversation about the live sound.

all i can find in a cursory web search is this thread from my old username (banned for calling someone a fag when i'm gay myself but anyways...). unfortunately, the original video has been removed. go figure.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=126761

^^what people seemed to be confused about in that thread was the "wall of sound," where recorded vocals are mixed into the background so that individual things can't be easily distinguished. instead, people seemed to think I was saying he was lip synching, or that it would somehow make up for bad vocal performances, etc, which is NOT the case. What I mean is that vocals are being used to create the wall of sound, much like strings and horns are used. it has nothing to do really with what Axl is singing live. lots of great bands do this.

Edited by nonlinear

No

freaking sad

Attempt at trolling.

Can't win an arguement so you resort to name calling? Impressive skillz there Jethro. :monkey:

haha you think I was the first to "name call"

Hey Im just wondering if anyone knows if Axl is using some kind of backing track to his vocals live? For instance in the chorus of Chinese Democracy live it sounds like there is some kind of backing track going on? Or is that someone else in the band singing? I've noticed it in just a few songs, and it really sounds like it's Axl's voice twice.

In this clip from Sao Paulo Axl is telling the band to stop the song at 01:55 (CD), it takes the others a few seconds to react and while Axl is NOT singing you then can hear another voice fading in as soon as the chorus begins - which sounds like Axl.

Sorry if a similar thread has been made before, I'm new around here :)

they definitely used a backing track during 2010, i could tell in Toronto in songs like Chin Dem and shacklers. he's not lip-singing or anything, I think its just to sound closure to the double voice you hear on the album. Axl absoulelty sings LIVE. I did not notice a backing tracking during any of the USA shows or UCAP

I wish I never opened this thread haha.

Here is a question though, every time I've seen Axl (london shows 06/10) he's sounded AMAZING but when i listen to the bootlegs like ROCK IN RIO, la forum, ect... it doesn't sound the Axl I'm used to hearing, its a bit weaker and everyone knows what im on about.

does his voice comes through on a feed differently than arena speakers?

TONS of bands use backing tracks.... not really a big fan of it but then again have you heard Tommy's back up vocals on some of the sound board ( :blink:) they should just crank up dizzy and Ron's vocals and forget the backing tracks IMO

Yes. The raw feed (directly from the desk) that you'll hear on the feed will be different to the sound "out front" as it will have delay, chorus, reverb etc (all pretty much standard things) added before it comes out the speakers that the crowd hear.

I wish I never opened this thread haha.

Here is a question though, every time I've seen Axl (london shows 06/10) he's sounded AMAZING but when i listen to the bootlegs like ROCK IN RIO, la forum, ect... it doesn't sound the Axl I'm used to hearing, its a bit weaker and everyone knows what im on about.

No... listen to regular youtube video you notice the difference there as well... I paid close attention at the UCAP show in Orlando and def could tell when the Mickey Mouse kicked in. For example the 2nd to last sing-along during Knocking on Heavens door he sounded very high pitched but the last one he sounded spot on with rasp and power. its much harder to tell live though than in videos, i can tell you at the UCAP show in Orlando I thought Axl sounded great during CW but listening to my recording you can def tell he was up and down during the song but all in all sounded good.

all i can find in a cursory web search is this thread from my old username (banned for calling someone a fag when i'm gay myself but anyways...). unfortunately, the original video has been removed. go figure.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=126761

^^what people seemed to be confused about in that thread was the "wall of sound," where recorded vocals are mixed into the background so that individual things can't be easily distinguished. instead, people seemed to think I was saying he was lip synching, or that it would somehow make up for bad vocal performances, etc, which is NOT the case. What I mean is that vocals are being used to create the wall of sound, much like strings and horns are used. it has nothing to do really with what Axl is singing live. lots of great bands do this.

From what I saw there, you were talking about Nightrain, I guess? I don't know, but I found one interesting video from 2006 where Axl is missing and Bach came in to replace him at the ending:

Of course, this "wall of sound" you're talking about could/should be easily turned off once the singer is not there. I dunno, I really would need to hear to the original video or to some similar one. :shrugs:

No

freaking sad

Attempt at trolling.

Both posters called each other names....which one are you now calling a name.......wait, as you call somebody out for calling somebody a name, you yourself call them a name.......so confusing.

Let me see if I have this straight.

It is OK for Flayer to call K12 names.

It is OK for you to call K12 names.

But it is not OK for K12 to call people names.

Ok. Makes perfect sense.

But on a serious note. If you are going to be the forum police, you should apply the same rules to Flayer and yourself as you do to those who don't worship Axl's every move.

You always complain about the negative comments made by some posters, but it doesn't bother you when Flayer and that group insult people. And you constantly make personal insults on those who aren't Axl worshipers.

Seems a bit hypocritical of you to not follow the same standards you dictate to others.

Or is it that you think only Axl worshippers should be allowed to insult people?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to understand your logic.

You idiots don't even know what backing tracks are.

On the album Chinese Democracy the backing vocals are done by Axl, as are the leads.

Live, he sings the lead while using the same backing vocals of himself from the album.

"Backing track" implies that he's using his own recorded voice to make his live voice sound fuller - this is *not* the case.

Edited by Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Just to be clear, I didn't mean or ask if Axl is lip-syncing as I think it's pretty clear he isn't. I know he is singing the lead vocals live. What I was wondering was if he had a vocal backing track during certain parts of some songs, which most of you seem to have confirmed.

But he doesn't use it now? I don't really think there is anything wrong with using it, but at the same time I think it would be better/more awesome if Tommy/Bumble was singing instead of a track.

edit: and when I said a vocal backing track was used, i didn't necessarily mean a pre-recorded track... it may be sampled "on the fly" from live singing, which is waaaaaayy cool.

I doubt it's sampled then and there. Definitely pre recorded.

I don't really mind him using a vocal backing track as he is still singing live, but like young_gun said I don't really think he needs it...

Of course.... and in Civil War too

Well that is clearly fake -.- The drums were "lip" syncing as well? Nice echo effect.

try yourself, pan the audio and compare, its not echo.

or compare some live civil war videos.....

This is stupid. This is obviously 2 separate performances. One tracked left and the other tracked right.

A backing track can be a few things. The entire musical as an instrumental, or instrumental with some background vocals... this is common in pop with people like Lady Gaga for her early shows with just her, 2 dancers and a DJ... now she uses a full band... from what I can hear, she doesn't use them in concert, but she does use them for shows, like Ellen, Jay Leno.. whatever.. anywhere she is doing lots of dancing. But she doesn't lip sync.

In Axl's case, he would most likely prefer BG vocals only... He already has a live band playing, and several guitars, keys etc... he doesn't need anymore in his ear. All he wants is to have that added vocal track to support him when he's belting stuff out, out of breath etc. I don't knock him for it. But he did at one point in the 90s, condemn bands that did that. He said something about 'tape machines under the stage' or something.

i think the other guys could do the job, i don't know why axl needs pre-recorded stuff. it's his band, i know.... but live backing vocals are some of my favourite things (i love john frusciante) so yeah, sounds bad to my tastes.

This is stupid. This is obviously 2 separate performances. One tracked left and the other tracked right.

In the video are 2 channels, left from one show and right from other show. Its very....very, VERY hard play everytime in the same tempo, but the only words that are sampled, are in tempo.

Try yourself, compare 2 live audios from the same song and you can appreciate the difference.

In Axl's case, he would most likely prefer BG vocals only... He already has a live band playing, and several guitars, keys etc... he doesn't need anymore in his ear. All he wants is to have that added vocal track to support him when he's belting stuff out, out of breath etc. I don't knock him for it. But he did at one point in the 90s, condemn bands that did that. He said something about 'tape machines under the stage' or something.

I think you guys have misunderstood.. I doubt he is using a vocal backing track to support him when he is out of breath and stuff like that. There is a backing track behind Axls' live lead vocal to give an extra punch to for instance a chorus- an effect. Just like it is on the actual recording on CD. Other times he is having a vocal backing track because on the record he is singing two different things at the same time, which he for obvious reasons can't do live.

I also read somewhere when someone critized Axl for needing three guitarists live, that Axl answered on for instance Appetite there is a lot of guitar layers. It's not just two guitar tracks (Izzy and Slash). They have played multiple tracks that are played upon each other (he did say how many, but I can't remember the exact number. It was more than 5). This is very common for recording, as it sounds better and more compact. This is also why there is three guitarists live.

- Sebaz, as for that video it's clearly fake. It's the same recording played twice with a small delay between them.

Edited by Jeez

No

freaking sad

Attempt at trolling.

Both posters called each other names....which one are you now calling a name.......wait, as you call somebody out for calling somebody a name, you yourself call them a name.......so confusing.

Let me see if I have this straight.

It is OK for Flayer to call K12 names.

It is OK for you to call K12 names.

But it is not OK for K12 to call people names.

Ok. Makes perfect sense.

But on a serious note. If you are going to be the forum police, you should apply the same rules to Flayer and yourself as you do to those who don't worship Axl's every move.

You always complain about the negative comments made by some posters, but it doesn't bother you when Flayer and that group insult people. And you constantly make personal insults on those who aren't Axl worshipers.

Seems a bit hypocritical of you to not follow the same standards you dictate to others.

Or is it that you think only Axl worshippers should be allowed to insult people?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to understand your logic.

I'll make it a priority to underline my sarcastic irony and type it in red, so it won't fly over your head next time :blink:

In all honesty I thought the "jethro" comment was over-the-top,unmistakenly noticeable in a sarcastic/ironic vein.

I overestimated you,will make a concious effort to remedy any further assumptions :blink: :blink:

As requested to put this wobbly train back on it's tenuous tracks I'd like to add that it is a physical impossibly to replicate multiple layers of vocals while singing live onstage,this isn't a new practice,if you own a decent stereo cue up Paradise City and listen to the layers of vocals.

A concert isn't supposed to be a carbon copy of an Album/studio cut,part of the enjoyment is listening to the songs live,with all the spontanaity,venom and intensity that engulfs the venue.

Imo its pretty cut and dry that lip synching hasn't been a driving force in GNR,even if you have the same setlist as the last show you attended. There may be technical difficulties,or a complete stop in a reaction to some idiot throwing shit or other crowd problem that needs to be sorted out.

I'm focusing on the upcoming shows,hyped and excited,hope others are as well :thumbsup:

Edited by sailaway