If Izzy rejoined GnR do you think it would stop being just 'The Axl Show'

GibsonLP

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

In all truth what would be far better- and much more likely to last IMHO- would be for Izzy to step-in in a kind of "Paul Tobias" collaborator role in the writing of the next Guns album. That would be sick...

He did that in 95 and 96 with the old band. Shame we never got to hear it. From different quotes about it, it sounds as if it could have been one of their very best albums.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No old member would ever rejoin because Axl would demand a contract with all these stupid stipulations, demands, conditions, etc etc etc. Axl has had complete power for too long he would NEVER relinquish power for anything short of going broke.

Who was the last dictator in power who stepped down? Even when they saw they were hurting their country or leading terribly? It just doesn't happen.

I dont think it was a gesture to redeem himself after the HOF. Axl thus far hasnt done anything new this tour (so it wouldve been a good idea to invite Izzy to add excitement) and inviting Izzy sounds like something he'd have done regardless. He did it in '06, did it with Duff several times.

I dont think Izzy should join GNR, but if they got rid of DJ and Pitman (and Ron?), maybe. I think Axl and Izzy should join together and Axl should forget about GNR for a while. Izzy doesnt want any part of the epic drama bullshit. He wants to play bluesy stripped-down rock, precisely what might be good for Axl considering he's forgotten how to make a simple statement and probably couldnt write a dumb pop song even he tried.

Then you consider how Axl has about 10 people on payroll (that we know of), the stress on him, the lack of fire, the lack of material, age, huge stage shows.. I think Izzy and Axl is a great idea for so many reasons. Cutting costs, making a lot of money, legacy, a new project, creativity, fun, coming full circle but not 'reliving the past.' What's not to like about it?

Edited by Eu4ic

I would love Izzy to rejoin, from all the members Axl needs him the most, non stage ( that would be Slash) but writing songs, IMO.

So meaning, rather than on stage, I would love them writing together again!

If Izzy were to rejoin GnR permanently do you think it would take some weight off of Axl's shoulders, with the band being perceived as more than just Axl's thing? Do you think Axl would be happy to share ownership of the band in this way or do you think it would be like a Batman and Robin kind of thing with a main guy and a follow-along guy?

Also do you think having Izzy appear last night is a sort of gesture from Axl to satisfy the fans that were disappointed that Axl didn't go to the HOF, to give us a taste of the original band?

I think part of him would want Izzy and Duff back in the band to help write new songs, and show up as a special guest. But the longer they stayed on, there's still old feelings towards them that he doesn't particularly want to revisit. I think his friendship with Izzy has always been erratic, and they prob. get along better now than they did when they were bandmates. I think because Duff came in as an outsider to the LA scene, and returned to Seattle, and Adler was more Slash's partner in crime, he doesn't feel as upset with Duff, the way Slash and Adler have made him feel.

London is a special city for him, and prob. likes giving them a little extra. It could be Rock Hall related, or just talked to him not that long ago, maybe last fall, when they talked about the Rock Hall, and brought up the get together then.

I think Duff's enough of a pro to work with GnR that he'd be fine with how they do things, but I think it comes down to new songs and working on new music by getting some of the old vibe back, and incorporating it into the band now. That's what I'd like to see happen, just because I think that collaboration with Izzy, Axl and Duff hasn't happened in over 20 years. Yeah, Slash is a missing element, but with all those guitarists, they can't figure great riffs out?

Izzy is not going to rejoin GnR. All signs indicate that he doesn't have the desire to be a part of a band that requires that level of stress and long term commitment. He's been there, done that, it's not for him anymore. It is great when he joins GnR onstage for some of the old songs.

It would be cool if he helped co-write some songs with the current GnR lineup for a new album. Not sure if that is realistic or not but it would be great if it happened. Axl and Izzy have great chemistry as writers and were the primary writers for the old band's material; I'm sure they could come up with some great ideas again that guys like Ron and Richard could build off of and make some ass kicking hard rock songs.

Izzy would NEVER rejoin Guns N' Roses. Axl is his longtime friend, he does few shows with his brother and then leaves. If original Guns were to reunite Izzy would never be a permanent member either. Enjoy him while you can in spontaneous guest appearances.

Edited by pi2loc

If Izzy were to rejoin GnR permanently do you think it would take some weight off of Axl's shoulders, with the band being perceived as more than just Axl's thing? Do you think Axl would be happy to share ownership of the band in this way or do you think it would be like a Batman and Robin kind of thing with a main guy and a follow-along guy?

Also do you think having Izzy appear last night is a sort of gesture from Axl to satisfy the fans that were disappointed that Axl didn't go to the HOF, to give us a taste of the original band?

if izzy rejoins guns n roses....it's the end for dj, bumble, tommy, and richard. the end of dj's and bumble's promises of new material live and new chinese democracy records. tommy will stick to his one man mutiny act. richard will be contracted for the next daniel craig james bond flick. the setlist will be full of dead flowers and 14 years. dust n bones too. izzy joining guns n roses sets dj and bumble backward with promises and new cds. new material. guns n roses doesn't move forward with izzy joining

I think Duff's enough of a pro to work with GnR that he'd be fine with how they do things, but I think it comes down to new songs and working on new music by getting some of the old vibe back, and incorporating it into the band now.

Very much agreed. I wouldn't rate it a particularly high chance- but if anyone would re-join it would be Duff IMHO. He's very professional, cares a great deal about GN'R fans, seems cool enough with Axl and is fairly tight with Bumblefoot as best we can tell. He also seems to have a mutually respectful relationship with Tommy- who might step-aside if Duff were really serious about re-joining.

That said- both Axl and Duff have to know that the reunion questions would swirrel around the band relentlessly if an alum like Duff came back on board (i.e. 3rd most important member "image-wise" in Old Guns). They probably want no part of that. I also have to believe Axl is insanely loyal to Tommy given how long they've been bandmates (also don't think Duff would really enjoy pushing Tommy out in any way if Tommy still wanted the gig, etc.).

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

People sadly don't give a fuck about Izzy - Gn´R was and still is all about Axl & Slash - no way around it...

Just yesterday I spoke to a guy who said was a casual fan of Gn'R and he knew nothing about CD or even Slash's departure from the band! This is very much representative of the millions of casual fans out there. :confused:

This one old band member on stage at a time as run its course for me. If Axl performed with Izzy and Duff at the same time, I would probably get excited. But the novelty of Duff or Izzy taking the stage has worn off for me. Izzy isn't joining this act. I am sure he enjoys getting paid for the occasional performance. But he's not joining.

I think Duff's enough of a pro to work with GnR that he'd be fine with how they do things, but I think it comes down to new songs and working on new music by getting some of the old vibe back, and incorporating it into the band now.

Very much agreed. I wouldn't rate it a particularly high chance- but if anyone would re-join it would be Duff IMHO. He's very professional, cares a great deal about GN'R fans, seems cool enough with Axl and is fairly tight with Bumblefoot as best we can tell. He also seems to have a mutually respectful relationship with Tommy- who might step-aside if Duff were really serious about re-joining.

That said- both Axl and Duff have to know that the reunion questions would swirrel around the band relentlessly if an alum like Duff came back on board (i.e. 3rd most important member "image-wise" in Old Guns). They probably want no part of that. I also have to believe Axl is insanely loyal to Tommy given how long they've been bandmates (also don't think Duff would really enjoy pushing Tommy out in any way if Tommy still wanted the gig, etc.).

tommy is shown the door if duff wants back in the band. the same for richard if izzy wants back in the door

Izzy AND Duff could both join and people would still complain about the same things and say it's more of a cash grab, they'll only shut up if Slash rejoins (even if he were the only guy to do it) and it'll heal their neat packaged guns n' roses image somehow. That or if Axl leaves, he'll never win in a lot of areas

Izzy AND Duff could both join and people would still complain about the same things and say it's more of a cash grab, they'll only shut up if Slash rejoins (even if he were the only guy to do it) and it'll heal their neat packaged guns n' roses image somehow. That or if Axl leaves, he'll never win in a lot of areas

izzy performing at nu-gnr shows fuels reunion rumors and puts a box over nu-gnr live material and nu-albums

I don't see Duff joining Guns at all. He has a much better relationship with Slash, and what happened with the HOF may have tarnished his feelings towards Axl a bit. He seems pretty content with where he is in life right now, I haven't seen him express much of a desire to change that.

I also agree with others opinions that Izzy rejoining is not only unlikely, but to the casual fan and general public, it wouldn't mean much and the band certainly wouldn't be viewed as 'more' Guns N Roses than it is now. As for writing material, he also wrote with VR so anything is possible. Though there's no guarantee the material would be better than anything the current band may be writing.

The scenario's a "what if Tommy quit", but I don't think it would get people stirred up about a reunion.

To a lot of people, Slash back in the band is the reunion, it's the frontman/lead guitar thing that people want. People would just go "oh, Duff?" or "yeah that's cool Izzy's back, but what about Slash?" The reunion pressure only comes up when it has to do with Slash and Axl.

Duff left that band when Axl was trying to figure out what to do next, and trying to go on with new musicians, some stuck, some flaked. I think Duff just grew tired of the waiting, and it says a lot when the bassist was the most stable part of that band. Also keep in mind VR didn't happen for another 5 years, so it wasn't like he was jumping to work with Slash again. Axl picked someone about the same age as Duff, also from a punk rock background, and from an influential band.

I think Izzy and Duff are past that point of looking across and not seeing Slash there, they can see him anytime. But now that Slash has his Conspirators and kind of burying the whole GnR thing on his end, it's probable that Slash and Axl will wind up talking in the near future, and not bring it up in an interview as being a big deal. I think the Rock Hall in the rear view is going to help play a part in it. They would prob. agree that if they have anything to say, to not talk about it in the press anymore.

You can't force a reunion to happen. A one off has to be for a mutually agreed on reason or cause. Even if Axl decided to put the AFD lineup together, who's to say Slash would agree to it, or Izzy? Duff might have commitments he can't get out of. So even if he did put differences aside and changed his mind about "not in my lifetime", there's no guarantee it would happen.

I don't see Duff joining Guns at all. He has a much better relationship with Slash, and what happened with the HOF may have tarnished his feelings towards Axl a bit. He seems pretty content with where he is in life right now, I haven't seen him express much of a desire to change that.

I also agree with others opinions that Izzy rejoining is not only unlikely, but to the casual fan and general public, it wouldn't mean much and the band certainly wouldn't be viewed as 'more' Guns N Roses than it is now. As for writing material, he also wrote with VR so anything is possible. Though there's no guarantee the material would be better than anything the current band may be writing.

They're all doing their own thing, but if Axl went "Tommy quit, can you play some dates, and can Loaded open?" he'd do it. As far as the studio goes, it's just what Duff said about writing with Izzy again, and it could wind up being for any number of projects, not necc. GnR, could be any of their individual projects.

Duff went to the Rock Hall because GnR was being honored, he was a part of that band, and he figured a way to cover the cost of the expenses of the table, his family, and the room. I don't get why they have to go out of pocket for it, but I'm sure if he didn't do that, he might not have gone. Slash is proud of his work with the band, so no one was going to tell him not to go. The reason they played live was Matt feeling sorry for Adler, when it comes down to it. Matt is proud of his work with GnR but it wasn't his first band, or his last, and he knows he was the replacement (lowercase r), most of the songs were in the works when he came in.

I think Izzy likes the special guest status and not dealing with Axl's moods on a day to day basis. He values the friendship, and left when Axl put business in the way of friendship.

People grudgingly accepted Adler leaving, but when Izzy left, people were going WTF is up with GNR? The shows are selling out, the album's about to come out, and he's leaving? Didn't make any sense - to anyone. It just gave the impression that things were really wrong in the band. The lateness, rants, and the shows turning into riots just added to the frustration.

ah good ol reunion talks

these guys are going to be pushing 50 soon outside of Axl who already is, some of them are married and some have kids

I'm sure their priorities have switched around a bit since 1996

and no Izzy would be the last member I see rejoining GN'R. I think Steven/Matt or Duff would be more likely.

Edited by californiaz06

I believe Izzy has expressed an interest in rejoining in the past but isn't interested in getting mind-fucked again. I think if it was less of a headache he'd be into it.

Where did you hear that? I never heard Izzy mention he was interested in joining NuGuns. Can you site a source?

Just based on how NuGuns tours he wouldn't rejoin + many other reasons. He's probably working on another album too.

Steven Adler has spoken frequently lately of his desire for a reunion of the original GN'R. Tell me what you think of that and how your relationship with Steven is at the present.

Izzy: “Steven lives a very confused life."

But if it were to occur, you would consider the possibility of a reunion?

Izzy: “Yes, of course. I wrote a great deal of that material."

http://chinese-democracy.blogspot.co.nz/2008/11/exclusive-interview-with-izzy-stradlin.html

Izzy is refererring to the fact if old GNR (Axl/Izzy/Slash/Duff/Steven or Matt) got back together that he would be up for it...something which is never going to fucking happen....and he said this around the time CD came out. He doesn't even consider NuGuns GNR and would never join up with them. He joins Axl every now & then for fun and the fact that Axl is one of his oldest friends. Nothing more, nothing less.

Izzy would never rejoin. He can deal with Axl in small doses, but he would never tour with Axl on a permanent basis again - purely because Axl still goes on stage 2 hours late most nights.

Izzy appears to prefer a very sporadic performing life, I can't see him returning to the public eye very often. Besides he probably thinks the best way to keep those friendships is to keep a distance from the constant drama and be able to just enjoy the moments and memory of what they once were.

Having Izzy writing can only really happen once we see what this incarnation can create but it would be very cool.

In terms of thoughts of Duff rejoining, as a couple of people talked about, do you not think maybe Duff appearing at HOF put back Axl and Duff's friendship a bit? I just find it hard to believe Axl is cool with Duff after the HOF performance