Axl and Kurt: More alike than they were different

Vincent Vega

Drug induced... ? Did you ever see the retard (Kurt) using his kid on MTV? Didn't Axl say they should both (Kurt & ugly ass Love) be arrested?

Do you model your life around what Axl says? You know what is most funny about the feud, Axl was mocked to his face by a skinny runt and din't do a thing.

Except GN'R wasn't about a "drug induced euphoria" or all about "havin a good time", not in 1991 anyway. Hence the Use Your Illusion albums.

His example of party bands were. Especially Motley Poo.

I don't know if Axl said that, but they should have. They never should have had custody of the baby in the first place.

Who are you to decide? On the same token, I'm glad Dylan didn't have to grow up in a psychotic Rose household.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drug induced... ? Did you ever see the retard (Kurt) using his kid on MTV? Didn't Axl say they should both (Kurt & ugly ass Love) be arrested?

Do you model your life around what Axl says? You know what is most funny about the feud, Axl was mocked to his face by a skinny runt and din't do a thing.

Except GN'R wasn't about a "drug induced euphoria" or all about "havin a good time", not in 1991 anyway. Hence the Use Your Illusion albums.

I don't know if Axl said that, but they should have. They never should have had custody of the baby in the first place.

Who are you to decide? On the same token, I'm glad Dylan didn't have to grow up in a psychotic Rose household.

Rusty- close your eyes...it's '91....it Smells Like Shit (I mean teen spirit or whatever). Move on.

Rusty- close your eyes...it's '91....it Smells Like Shit (I mean teen spirit or whatever). Move on.

I don't need to close my eyes, I can play Chinese Democracy.

Axl is mocked in the music idustry. Kurt is adored.

Shows how fucked up the world is. A selfish junkie who killed himself and left a daughter behind is loved. Meanwhile the last real great rockstar on the planet is constantly shit on by the same idiots.

Didn't two different gfs file physical assault charges against your idol?

And please. Axl is one of the greatest rock singers in history. But he is about 56th on the list of greatest living rockstars. Why do I say that about my favorite singer? One album in 15 years. A rockstar should be MOST famous for his music. His songs should define who he is, especially as a "rockstar."

Name the top 10 things that come to mind when people talk about Axl Rose....from 1996 through 2002.

What place on that list would a GnR song off of CD finish????

Axl could once again be on of the greatest living rockstars.......by delivering kick ass rock music.

Shame that the kids on here think that bighting security guards legs, slapping camera men and fashion designers, telling fans to get the f*ck away from him, showing up late for shows, choosing stubborness over honoring fans......the list goes on and on.....the kids and worshippers on this forum equate those things to being a true rockstar!!!!! These people are why the kardashians and Paris Hilton are considered celebrities. All about the drama, nothing about talent.

Nine out of ten times that Axl makes the news it is NOT about a song he wrote. And that is a shame.

Yup, I'm not defending Axl. I'm just laughing at you for defending a couple of heroin junkies that shot up while pregnant and messed the child up even farther by not giving her a chance to meet her worthless father.

Keep it up though, you're a quality citizen.

Yup, I'm not defending Axl. I'm just laughing at you for defending a couple of heroin junkies that shot up while pregnant and messed the child up even farther by not giving her a chance to meet her worthless father.

I'm not defending them. I think you should put your bullet away, barney. You can laugh at whatever you want but the true humor is people on a GNR board that mock junkies and drama queen stars. Now THAT is comedy gold.

OK- I'm done with Rusty. Cobain is the greatest all fucklng time. He lives on. He & Axl woulda been bestest friends a s played every day. Go Kurty.....too bad your brains are all over that dump garage. We miss you!

Quick question - why do you only seem able to express yourself in the manner of an angry ten year old boy? :question:

Also, how the hell is this not in Dust N' Bones yet?

Edited by Angelica

This wall that some of you put up to protect your idol is pretty excessive at times.

I can respect Axl and Kurt for what they did for music. I don't need my opinion spoon fed to me by some rock star I'll never meet. I've never said Kurt is the best ever and I won't say Axl is either. But I'm still a GNR fan and I'm not goose stepping along with Axl feuds just because some people think it will earn them brownie points.

I'm not defending them. I think you should put your bullet away, barney. You can laugh at whatever you want but the true humor is people on a GNR board that mock junkies and drama queen stars. Now THAT is comedy gold.

You must not be familiar with my posting history. I've mocked every past and present member of GN'R except for Ron on multiple occasions. When Ron abuses his child, wife, whatever, I'll be sure to mock him too.

I'm a fan of the music, not the people. I just never got in to Nirvana's nonsensical bullshit.

What a cool guy you are.thumbsup.gif

You mean "what a cool guy Kurty was"! Key word- was. Thank god.

No, I mean you.Being able to mock someone who died 18 years ago. Man, what's your secret?

Hey- I never got the whole "grunge thing". I loved the 'strip bamds' (you know....Guns, Crüe, Poison, Et al...the party bands) then these "guys" show up all serious, deep, hating life, raining on the parade. It was like WTF? Just go away....which they eventually did.

And 30 years from now Nirvana and Poison will still be battling it out for rankings spots on lists such as Greatest Band of All Time, Most influential band of the decade, etc. I would say nirvana one spot ahead of poison....and poison five spots ahead of pearl jam.

And when best song lists are written, millions of people will be torn as to which song should be higher.....teen spirit or girls girls girls.

You must not be familiar with my posting history. I've mocked every past and present member of GN'R except for Ron on multiple occasions. When Ron abuses his child, wife, whatever, I'll be sure to mock him too.

I'm a fan of the music, not the people. I just never got in to Nirvana's nonsensical bullshit.

Familiarize yourself to my posts in this topic. I never defended anyone for being a junkie but somehow you determine I was and say, "I'm just laughing at you for defending a couple of heroin junkies ." You must be laughing yourself hysterical because I defended nothing like that. I'm just not delusional enough to say that just because someone is a junkie, that I have the right to judge them.

What you have to remember is that Kurt didn't just hate Axl, he hated GN'R in general and thought their music was crap. The Axl haters here will cling on to him disliking Axl and cheer Kurt, but he hated GN'R's music in general. He was one of these ironic hipster effeminate Political Correctness Nazi types who'd feel people like us--GN'R fans--were dumb meatheads.

Also, this interesting thing comes from "Come as You Are" by Michael Azzerad, page 214-215:

Impromptu scribblings aside, one remarkable aspect of "Teen Spirit" was that unlike many previous songs of it's type, it didn't blame the older generation for anything--it laid the blame at the feet of it's own audience. That implies a sense of responsibility that didn't quite fit the slacker stereotype. Although "Teen Spirit" was a bold and provocative dare, Kurt feels he crossed the line into condemnation. "I got caught up in pointing the finger at this generation," says Kurt. "The results of that aren't very positive at all. All it does is alienate people and make them feel the same feeling you get from an evil stepdad. It's like, 'You'd better do it right' or 'You'd better be more effective or I'm not gonna like you anymore.' I don't mean to do that because I know that throughout the eighties, my generation was fucking helpless. There was so much right wing power that there was almost nothing we could do.

'I know that I've probably conveyed this feeling of 'Kurt Cobain hates his audience because they're apathetic', which isn't the case at all. Within the last two years, I've noticed a consciousness that's why more positive, way more intelligent in the younger generation and the proof is in the stupid things like Sassy magazine and MTV in general. Whether you want to admit that or not, there is a positive consciousness and people are becoming more human. I've always been optimistic, but it's the little Johnny Rotten inside me that has to be a sarcastic asshole."

"Introducing that song, in the position we were in, I couldn't possibly say I was making fun or being sarcastic or being judgmental toward the youth-rock movement because I would have come across as instantly negative. I wanted to fool people at first. I wanted people to think that we were no different than Guns n' Roses. Because then that way they would listen to the music first, accept us, and maybe start listening to a few things that we had to say, after the fact, after we had the recognition. It was easier to operate the way."--Kurt Cobain

Hmm...

Edited by Indigo Miser

Familiarize yourself to my posts in this topic. I never defended anyone for being a junkie but somehow you determine I was and say, "I'm just laughing at you for defending a couple of heroin junkies ." You must be laughing yourself hysterical because I defended nothing like that. I'm just not delusional enough to say that just because someone is a junkie, that I have the right to judge them.

We'll have to settle for a difference of opinions then. I feel that when someone puts a child's life at risk, public ridicule is warranted and should be the least of the punishment.

You were defending them against me. I didn't reply to you to begin this conversation.

In the 90s as we all know there was a massive feud between Kurt Cobain and Axl, and thus also between GN'R and Nirvana. This occurred both in the public and behind the scenes. Initially, Axl LOVED Nirvana, even before they were famous, and tried to promote them (wearing a Nirvana cap in the Don't Cry video, asking Nirvana to open for GN'R, inviting them on the GN'R/Metallica tour, asking them to play at his birthday). He went public and said that Nirvana's music had helped save his life.

Kurt responded by deriding Axl and GN'R for their sexist, racist and misogynistic lyrics, for their excesses, and went on to attack their music, saying that GN'R's music in and of itself sucked. He became obsessed with bashing Axl, bringing up Axl's name in interviews that had nothing to do with Axl and doing things such as he and Courtney registering in a hotel under the name of "Bill Bailey" and ringing up thousands of dollars in services at the Hotel, mocking Axl's dance moves on stage and even telling fans that they couldn't be fans of both GN'R and Nirvana; they had to pick a side.

Axl of course went nuts and reactionary, burning his Nirvana cap on stage, blasting Alternative music and the whole concept of it, blasting Kurt Cobain and their "bitch junkie wives", Slash even got in on it with jokingly playing the riff to Smells like Teen Spirit live briefly.

Both lit up the music scene from the late 80s to mid 90s and then suddenly left the public in 1994, Kurt by suicide, Axl by chosen reclusion. Both men left the music scene right as they were hitting their musical stride...Right at their peak, and robbed the world of their musical prime. Both of them altered music in fundamental ways in their time, although Nirvana's effect was longer lasting. Both were huge in their times, both inspired and were beloved by millions of kids and young people all over.

But beyond that, I think Axl and Kurt were more alike than either caused to realize. Both were social rejects before becoming famous. Both were bullied and mocked for who they were, raised in environments that didn't accept people who were different. Both were the losers in high school, or the outcasts, or the weirdos. Kurt was often insulted by jocks as being "gay", and Axl was considered such for liking the Rolling Stones after Mick and Keith french kissed on Saturday Night Live. Both came from messed up homes, dysfunctional homes; Both dealt with severe depression and flirted with suicide--sadly Kurt succeeded. Both were tortured guys who took things to heart and had the weight of personal dysfunctions and fame get to them--Kurt became more and more depressed and suicidal, Axl withdrew from society. Both had a disdain for fame in certain ways and both hated the image of the rock star even in spite of both making millions espousing that image. Look at Axl's rant in Chicago in 1992 for his views on being a "macho man rock n' roller"--He hated being pigeonholed into that and wanted to grow beyond that. Kurt hated the whole idea. Axl always--even as early as the late 80s--loved the undedog. He was championing bands such as Faith No More, Soundgarden and Jane's Addiction as the "future of music" as early as 1989, going so far as to try to get Jane's Addiction signed to Geffen; identified with and admired Nine Inch Nails as early as the very early 1990s, when most Rock N' Rollers were still listening to AC/DC and Metallica.

I could go on but I'm tired but I believe the loss of Kurt--forever--in 1994 and the loss of Axl from the public eye in 1994 at the height of his fame and creative powers--is a cultural loss, akin to when Morrison, Hendrix and Joplin died. Axl and Kurt's music was very different, no doubt, but I believe both were equally as brilliant as the other and might've come to understand each other better as time went by if Kurt had lived.

I don't think we'll ever see rock stars as gifted as Axl and Kurt for a very long time, and I believe that Axl's descent into seclusion and bitterness and Kurt's death both hammered nails into the cotton of Rock Music...Axl and Kurt were truly among the last rock tragedies, both ripped away, in different ways, when they had immense talent and something more to say....

Hello there,

I would like to welcome you, weary time traveler from 1994! A lot has changed over the years. Some spoilers, Ross and Rachel get together, Diana dies and Gore wins (but doesn't become president). Please watch your step when exiting the ramp.

Didn't Nirvana steal like three of there riffs come as you are being the most notable

Yes.

The riff of Come as You Are was stolen from a Killing Joke song called "Eighties",

The riff of "Smells like Teen Spirit" was taken from "Godzilla" by The Blue Oyster Cult

Edited by Indigo Miser

What you have to remember is that Kurt didn't just hate Axl, he hated GN'R in general and thought their music was crap. The Axl haters here will cling on to him disliking Axl and cheer Kurt, but he hated GN'R's music in general. He was one of these ironic hipster effeminate Political Correctness Nazi types who'd feel people like us--GN'R fans--were dumb meatheads.

Also, this interesting thing comes from "Come as You Are" by Michael Azzerad, page 214-215:

Impromptu scribblings aside, one remarkable aspect of "Teen Spirit" was that unlike many previous songs of it's type, it didn't blame the older generation for anything--it laid the blame at the feet of it's own audience. That implies a sense of responsibility that didn't quite fit the slacker stereotype. Although "Teen Spirit" was a bold and provocative dare, Kurt feels he crossed the line into condemnation. "I got caught up in pointing the finger at this generation," says Kurt. "The results of that aren't very positive at all. All it does is alienate people and make them feel the same feeling you get from an evil stepdad. It's like, 'You'd better do it right' or 'You'd better be more effective or I'm not gonna like you anymore.' I don't mean to do that because I know that throughout the eighties, my generation was fucking helpless. There was so much right wing power that there was almost nothing we could do.

'I know that I've probably conveyed this feeling of 'Kurt Cobain hates his audience because they're apathetic', which isn't the case at all. Within the last two years, I've noticed a consciousness that's why more positive, way more intelligent in the younger generation and the proof is in the stupid things like Sassy magazine and MTV in general. Whether you want to admit that or not, there is a positive consciousness and people are becoming more human. I've always been optimistic, but it's the little Johnny Rotten inside me that has to be a sarcastic asshole."

"Introducing that song, in the position we were in, I couldn't possibly say I was making fun or being sarcastic or being judgmental toward the youth-rock movement because I would have come across as instantly negative. I wanted to fool people at first. I wanted people to think that we were no different than Guns n' Roses. Because then that way they would listen to the music first, accept us, and maybe start listening to a few things that we had to say, after the fact, after we had the recognition. It was easier to operate the way."--Kurt Cobain

Hmm...

My favorite part is the "Hmm...", because it suggests you think you've said something really thought provoking. :)

Hmm...

My favorite part is the "Hmm...", because it suggests you think you've said something really thought provoking. :)

Still hate Axl cause of the People Magazine Erin interview?

Hmm...

As usual, I'm not sure what you're talking about and neither are you. :lol:

Cobain can go fuck himself. You know where he is....he's in Axl's ass! What a suck ass "musician". Dumbass- no wonder it took a few attempts (or were the 1st couple (gasp) attention) before he finished himself off.

Edited by Snowmass

Hmm...

Angie, baby, you've been around these tracks for about as long as me, you've always had a great dislike toward Axl and I remember you used to talk about Axl's treatment of Erin quite a bit back in the day.

Guest Broskirose

Hmm...

Angie, baby, you've been around these tracks for about as long as me, you've always had a great dislike toward Axl and I remember you used to talk about Axl's treatment of Erin quite a bit back in the day.

You must be thinking of someone else because from what I can tell she's got an everlasting creepy hard on for Waxy.