Axl and Kurt: More alike than they were different

Vincent Vega

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read that interview before.

The thing is Kurt made some really dumb snap judgments about GN'R. I'm not justifying the immature way Axl handled Kurt, but Kurt was in the wrong, too, imo, and he was showing a lot of ignorance.

I say this as a fan of both men.

Great musician and legend in his own right- but at the end of the day IMHO Kurt was a politically-correct fascist motivated to stifle any artistic expression that didn't jive with his own social view. I like several Nirvana songs and respect their place in rock history- but all in all- I would find being a "hardcore" Nirvana fan an incredibly suffocating experience.

Maybe someone can dig it up- but the incident he talks about where a fan is defending GN'R at one of their concerts is frightening and very revealing. As I remember it- Kurt basically asserts that Axl/GN'R have "forfeited" their right to free speech/free expression b/c he dislikes the content of their music (before back-tracking slightly when the kid starts scoring some points on him).

Anyway- I'll always side with Axl defending the likes of NWA, Body Count and hell Nirvana for that matter to have the right to express themselves as brutally and honestly as they please over Kurt's "utopian" view where seemingly every white male stays PC at all cost and should put on a dress, kiss his best friend and neuter himself as a penalty for 500 years of oppressing women or whatever- and if you don't do it you're some unsalvagable "meathead" or something. Fuck that shit.

Finally- in the balance of time- Kurt's critique of classic GN'R's "artistic merit" is even more laughable. First Ballot Hall of Famers and a Greatest Hits record that's a virtual "must have" (as well as AFD) for most teenagers to this very day. Swing and a miss...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

Kurt- "I think I'm Dumb".... The rest of the world- no shit?!

Actually most of that "rest of the world" disagrees with you. But you'd have to even know what you're talking about for it to matter.

Yeah you're right- the collective R&R world misses Cobain & his drama.

LOL you're trashing junkies and drama on a GNR board. Are you thinking before posting?

Exactly. People don't even realize that Axl Rose tried and failed to kill himself as well. What the hell do they think Coma was about? haha

Cobain wasn't as "cool" and "alternative" (whatever that means" as people like to think. That's why he did videos, MTV shit, and trashed/made fun of Axl (biggest band in world)...he wanted the same fame & fortune they all were chasing.

Cobain wasn't as "cool" and "alternative" (whatever that means" as people like to think. That's why he did videos, MTV shit, and trashed/made fun of Axl (biggest band in world)...he wanted the same fame & fortune they all were chasing.

I am not into the whole "mental analysis of someone famous you don't know" thing, but that is just me. Anyways, he did end up achieving a bigger level of fame in the early 90's, unfortunately whatever demons he did have got the best of him apparently

There are different motives in punk rock. Some want to completely abandon any involvement with the corporate world while some hang around to mock them. Nirvana mocked everyone.

He trashed Axl because he is the epitome of his enemy growing up and the epitome of what he hated at that point in his life. Homophobic(alleged), misogynistic and a bloated rock star. Kurt never cared for ANY of the shit Axl surrounded himself with. That's a fact and the end of any comparison.

Judge a man by his motives, not his mistakes.

Imagine Cobain at a strip bar back in the day- "ahhhh guys, this is degrading to these young ladies" (his wife was a stripper). "Ahhh guys, let's not waste this food & beverage" (he rode limos & prob wasted class AAA backstage food left & right). LOL

Imagine Cobain at a strip bar back in the day- "ahhhh guys, this is degrading to these young ladies" (his wife was a stripper). "Ahhh guys, let's not waste this food & beverage" (he rode limos & prob wasted class AAA backstage food left & right). LOL

Strippers choose. Abused women don't choose to have their ass whipped.

BTW, he despised limos. Once again, you don't know what you're talking about. Even towards the end of his life, his ideal house was a run down cabin connected to what would have been his wife's mansion.

BTW, he despised limos. Once again, you don't know what you're talking about. Even towards the end of his life, his ideal house was a run down cabin connected to what would have been his wife's mansion.

Cobain was a fraud and he's dead. Get over it and move on. Long live Axl!

That really is pretty ignorant...

The words of a child.

You get caught up in the image of their feud and can't think for yourself and can't respect both for what they did for music. Grow up.

Edited by Rustycage

That really is pretty ignorant...

How so? Did he fake his death too?

Nor was it about 'homophobic, racist' shit. Kurt wrote in the insert to Incesticide that if "you are in any way against homosexuality, don't come to our shows, don't buy our records.' See, he was trying to distinguish himself from what Axl 'represented.' But really, hating on people with different worldviews than his own is just as discriminatory, close-minded, and imperialistic as anything Axl did.

No, irrespective of any Axl/Kurt crap, hating on people for being bigoted is not the same thing as hating on people for being gay or a different race. At all. Not even close.

If I understand correctly, you're saying that "hating..." is completely different from "hating..." and what I'm telling you is that, duh, there's a commonality.

There's also, duh, a substantial difference based on what you're "hating" and why.

Yes it is - it's your own interests, forgetting that there are others that love and care about you. It isn't noble, or to be something idolized or glamorized.

It's certainly not to be idolized or glamorized, but suicide is the end result of an incredibly insidious disease that warps thinking and emotions. He was profoundly mentally and emotionally ill when he died, you really can't do what he did and not be. If you feel qualified to judge, go ahead, I don't. :shrugs:

Edited by Angelica

What a cool guy you are.thumbsup.gif

You mean "what a cool guy Kurty was"! Key word- was. Thank god.

No, I mean you.Being able to mock someone who died 18 years ago. Man, what's your secret?

Hey- I never got the whole "grunge thing". I loved the 'strip bamds' (you know....Guns, Crüe, Poison, Et al...the party bands) then these "guys" show up all serious, deep, hating life, raining on the parade. It was like WTF? Just go away....which they eventually did.

No, I mean you.Being able to mock someone who died 18 years ago. Man, what's your secret?

Hey- I never got the whole "grunge thing". I loved the 'strip bamds' (you know....Guns, Crüe, Poison, Et al...the party bands) then these "guys" show up all serious, deep, hating life, raining on the parade. It was like WTF? Just go away....which they eventually did.

Yeah, why let reality ruin a good drug-induced euphoria! How dare they!

You sound like Marissa Tomei in The Wrestler.

Edited by Rustycage

Drug induced... ? Did you ever see the retard (Kurt) using his kid on MTV? Didn't Axl say they should both (Kurt & ugly ass Love) be arrested?

Except GN'R wasn't about a "drug induced euphoria" or all about "havin a good time", not in 1991 anyway. Hence the Use Your Illusion albums. I would say those albums are just as grounded in reality as Nirvana's, but Axl is more verbose and less subtle in his writing. Kurt was more subtle, more clever, etc. It's like comparing Mick Jagger with John Lennon, IMO. But I think Axl and Kurt were coming from a somewhat similar place, just playing it in different kinds of music.

I'll put it it this way: I think Kurt had more in common with Axl/GN'R--who he hated for what they represented--than he did with Metallica and James Hetfield, who he loved and respected.

Edited by Indigo Miser

Drug induced... ? Did you ever see the retard (Kurt) using his kid on MTV? Didn't Axl say they should both (Kurt & ugly ass Love) be arrested?

I don't know if Axl said that, but they should have. They never should have had custody of the baby in the first place.