Are the heated discussions here symptomatic of GnR's stormy history?

Madridista

As I think I said before, I regularly post in several online forums of other bands I'm a fan of. And I have to say, this forum is by far the one with the largest number of heated discussions and the highest level of animosity among the forum members.

By opening this thread, it is not my intention to offend anyone or to attack anyone. But I was just wondering if the animosity and verbal violence here could be symptomatic of Gnr's stormy history and ongoing/past feuds between Axl and the former gunners.

I can't help but compare this forum to the official Iron Maiden forum. You know, that band has achieved an enviable level of stability. They left the Bruce/Iron Maiden feud behind for good and now they make great records every 3 or 4 years. And I think that level of stability and peace within the band have permeated their fanbase, if you know what I mean. Forum members do get along and of course, you do get your average " who's a better guitarist?" or " who should be or should not be in the band" thread every once in a while. But my point is there's no animosity between the people that post there.

And I have to apologize for my English. It's not my first language and I'm still learning it. So please do forgive me if I haven't been able to make myself clear. I'm doing my best here to convey what I'm trying to say.

But here, it seems that every thread turns into a flame war. Even threads about " what's your favorite song" can turn into a flame war between fans taking sides on the Axl/Slash feud, even if they/we don't have anything to do with it.

Could that be a result of the band's history? You know, that has affected us as a fanbase?

Thanks.

Just curious.

Edited by Madridista

Firstly, your English is great! :D

I think there's two broad reasons this place is all arguments, bitterness, and people with unmoving steadfasts opinions (often hateful) of any member or previous member of GNR. The reasons are:

1. Axl calls his band GNR still while the other ex members re-titled their other projects. There wouldn't be such hate for Slash or Axl if GNR died when they separated.

2. GNR doesn't do or release enough to keep us satisfied or to talk about. If there was more going on in GNR world we would talk about that instead of fighting about Axl vs. Kurt, etc. Built up frustrations with lack of new music, you know.

Both of these breed arguments and all that.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

:thumbsup:

I think there's two broad reasons this place is all arguments, bitterness, and people with unmoving steadfasts opinions (often hateful) of any member or previous member of GNR. The reasons are:

2. GNR doesn't do or release enough to keep us satisfied or to talk about. If there was more going on in GNR world we would talk about that instead of fighting about Axl vs. Kurt, etc. Built up frustrations with lack of new music, you know.

Yes, I agree.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

also, i think fans of nugnr are so utterly humorless that everything upsets them.

It certainly seems that way.

also, i think the most vociferous and confrontational supporters of nugnr are cupcakes posting satirical opinions meant to mock the previous eras of the forums, when fans really believed axl had a plan and that chinese democracy would lead to children dancing in the hallways of their schools. volcano and msl cupcake in this manner. it's funny, but it was funnier back around the time when cd actually dropped, and that realization was only spreading. now that the demise of axl and nuguns is an accepted reality, and they're just having a laugh. but at least it keeps programming alive on the mygnr channel.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

also, i think fans of nugnr are so utterly humorless that everything upsets them.

Ironic, I see it as being both ways. :shrugs:

So I'm glad I operate in the middle ground... sometimes...

(P.s. Your English is better than most of the natives, don't worry).

Same here.

1. Axl calls his band GNR still while the other ex members re-titled their other projects. There wouldn't be such hate for Slash or Axl if GNR died when they separated.

Both of these breed arguments and all that.

this totally

As I think I said before, I regularly post in several online forums of other bands I'm a fan of. And I have to say, this forum is by far the one with the largest number of heated discussions and the highest level of animosity among the forum members.

By opening this thread, it is not my intention to offend anyone or to attack anyone. But I was just wondering if the animosity and verbal violence here could be symptomatic of Gnr's stormy history and ongoing/past feuds between Axl and the former gunners.

I can't help but compare this forum to the official Iron Maiden forum. You know, that band has achieved an enviable level of stability. They left the Bruce/Iron Maiden feud behind for good and now they make great records every 3 or 4 years. And I think that level of stability and peace within the band have permeated their fanbase, if you know what I mean. Forum members do get along and of course, you do get your average " who's a better guitarist?" or " who should be or should not be in the band" thread every once in a while. But my point is there's no animosity between the people that post there.

And I have to apologize for my English. It's not my first language and I'm still learning it. So please do forgive me if I haven't been able to make myself clear. I'm doing my best here to convey what I'm trying to say.

But here, it seems that every thread turns into a flame war. Even threads about " what's your favorite song" can turn into a flame war between fans taking sides on the Axl/Slash feud, even if they/we don't have anything to do with it.

Could that be a result of the band's history? You know, that has affected us as a fanbase?

Thanks.

Just curious.

I disagree, the animosity on the forums actually proves how far slash has fallen and the love his 'slasheep' fans have for him.

It must be a drag seeing how CD was a massive worldwide hit topping the charts in over 15 countries and being the 13th best selling album of 2008 despite only being on sale for 8 weeks or so of that year. CD alone has sold more than the three albums slash has released since. Guns n roses despite being despised by the press continues to sellout tours and headline the largest festivals around the globe whilst slash settles playing country fairs and a few clubs these days. Slash fans are angry and I for one understand, sympathise and feel sorry for them. They are forced on many occasions to cupcake fan boards as there's not even enough of them to build a forum. It's a sad situation that I don't see changing unless axl starts to feel pity for him and reunites once slash apologizes.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Nice dig you got there. You know, the reason I reacted to that you commented on my English 6 months ago was that you picked on me every chance you got. I normally wouldn't have cared. I kind of regretted falling for it moments after I posted it. But whatever. If it amused you, you're welcome! Life would suck if we couldn't let others have a laugh at our expense every now and then, don't you agree?

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

The heated discussions here are symptomatic of the irreconcilable differences between Slash's personality type and Axl's personality type. The never ending difference of opinion and philosophy between those who identify most with Slash's way of thinking and those who identify most with Axl's way of thinking is proof enough of why the two should never and will never reunite.

That's just silly. My very best friend on this forum is an outspoken Axlite. Most of you would probably call me Slashite, although I would personally call myself a fan of the classic band, as I am actually a fan of both Axl and Slash, but mostly the band.

The heated discussions here are symptomatic of the irreconcilable differences between Slash's personality type and Axl's personality type. The never ending difference of opinion and philosophy between those who identify most with Slash's way of thinking and those who identify most with Axl's way of thinking is proof enough of why the two should never and will never reunite.

The way they have gone their separate ways is also the example that should be followed by the fans. The bitter ex-fans should discuss the "good ol' days" in the appropriate sections and stop concerning themselves with the activities of someone they dislike, thus allowing those of us who are fond of the current band to enjoy discussion of such in peace.

+1 MSL (aka mygnr's voice of reason)

No matter what went on in the past you wil have immature posters who use forums as their own soapbox to express their views as ridiculous as possible, no matter what side of the argument. Not just for GNR either, if you go on youtube you can't click a Van Halen video without seeing a ridiculous Dave vs. Sammy argument in the comments section. Whenever you have a feud between people who both speak to people with their music like Axl and Slash, it can be hard to reign people into a mature rhetoric. But at the same time it isn't as bad here as it once was, at least from my perspective

Edited by WhazUp

Nice dig you got there. You know, the reason I reacted to that you commented on my English 6 months ago was that you picked on me every chance you got. I normally wouldn't have cared. I kind of regretted falling for it moments after I posted it. But whatever. If it amused you, you're welcome! Life would suck if we couldn't let others have a laugh at our expense every now and then, don't you agree?

The comment was directed at the OP, not you. Awkward. :monkey:

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Ouch. :lol: My bad then, I totally thought it was a dig about that I said that they didn't have humour and that you pointed out that I didn't have humour that time. Oh well... :xmassrudolph:

Ouch. :lol: My bad then, I totally thought it was a dig about that I said that they didn't have humour and that you pointed out that I didn't have humour that time. Oh well... :xmassrudolph:

Haha, no - and it was several years ago - didn't realise you held a grudge :xmasschef: Least we can laugh about it now :rofl-lol:

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Haha, no - and it was several years ago - didn't realise you held a grudge :xmasschef: Least we can laugh about it now :rofl-lol:

Always something. :rof-lol: It was just some months ago though, at the other forum.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

You have a few posters who come here strictly to heckle fans of Axl and the new band.

And, you have a group of Axl worshippers who call everything that Axl does EPIC, who defend Axl no matter what he does.....and who basically think that Axl is on par with, if not greater than: Jesus Christ, Newton, Ghandi, Bach, Beethoven, Gutenberg, Einstein, MLK. In their mind, Axl might actually be greater and more important to the world's history than all those people combined!!!!

And this group of people have taken on the roll as forum educators/police/dictators. They complain about how negative everybody else is.......but 75% of their posts are full of negativity and insults!!!!! They complain about the lables Nutter and Worshippers........but they label anybody who disagrees with them as a hater, cupcake, slashole or bitter ex-fan.

Both of these groups are a minority here - but unfortunately, both groups are very prolific in their posts. So it makes it appear like there is constant drama and tension and fighting in every single topic. But it really is only a group of about 10 people.

If you got rid of the worshippers and the axl-bashers, this forum would be an amazing place to come discuss our favorite singer and band. A place where you could discuss the highlights and the negatives about Axl - without being called juvenile names and insults.