Are the heated discussions here symptomatic of GnR's stormy history?

Madridista

You have a few posters who come here strictly to heckle fans of Axl and the new band.

And, you have a group of Axl worshippers who call everything that Axl does EPIC, who defend Axl no matter what he does.....and who basically think that Axl is on par with, if not greater than: Jesus Christ, Newton, Ghandi, Bach, Beethoven, Gutenberg, Einstein, MLK. In their mind, Axl might actually be greater and more important to the world's history than all those people combined!!!!

And this group of people have taken on the roll as forum educators/police/dictators. They complain about how negative everybody else is.......but 75% of their posts are full of negativity and insults!!!!! They complain about the lables Nutter and Worshippers........but they label anybody who disagrees with them as a hater, cupcake, slashole or bitter ex-fan.

Both of these groups are a minority here - but unfortunately, both groups are very prolific in their posts. So it makes it appear like there is constant drama and tension and fighting in every single topic. But it really is only a group of about 10 people.

If you got rid of the worshippers and the axl-bashers, this forum would be an amazing place to come discuss our favorite singer and band. A place where you could discuss the highlights and the negatives about Axl - without being called juvenile names and insults.

Juvenile names like "worshipper" are perfectly fantastic of course - infact any labelling is it comes from the right quarters. That one line about current GN'R bashers and half an essay about "worshipers"- yes, things are always fair and balanced in Groghanland.

Since you spoke with so much confidence surely you'll be able to find ONE post of somebody, anybody claiming that Axl is on par with the greatest figures in history.

Of course not. Yet another Groghanism - the figment of an over-heated imagination.

Because GN'R has changed so drastically and lost so many popular members that the amount of bitterness among ex-fans is staggering.

Prob true a but. Would never happen with post original band. IE- not exactly a clamoring of emotions over the loss of Finck n Brain n Bucket etc....the original will never be duplicated, just imitated & emulated. Which says a lot.

You have a few posters who come here strictly to heckle fans of Axl and the new band.

And, you have a group of Axl worshippers who call everything that Axl does EPIC, who defend Axl no matter what he does.....and who basically think that Axl is on par with, if not greater than: Jesus Christ, Newton, Ghandi, Bach, Beethoven, Gutenberg, Einstein, MLK. In their mind, Axl might actually be greater and more important to the world's history than all those people combined!!!!

And this group of people have taken on the roll as forum educators/police/dictators. They complain about how negative everybody else is.......but 75% of their posts are full of negativity and insults!!!!! They complain about the lables Nutter and Worshippers........but they label anybody who disagrees with them as a hater, cupcake, slashole or bitter ex-fan.

Both of these groups are a minority here - but unfortunately, both groups are very prolific in their posts. So it makes it appear like there is constant drama and tension and fighting in every single topic. But it really is only a group of about 10 people.

If you got rid of the worshippers and the axl-bashers, this forum would be an amazing place to come discuss our favorite singer and band. A place where you could discuss the highlights and the negatives about Axl - without being called juvenile names and insults.

Juvenile names like "worshipper" are perfectly fantastic of course - infact any labelling is it comes from the right quarters. That one line about current GN'R bashers and half an essay about "worshipers"- yes, things are always fair and balanced in Groghanland.

Since you spoke with so much confidence surely you'll be able to find ONE post of somebody, anybody claiming that Axl is on par with the greatest figures in history.

Of course not. Yet another Groghanism - the figment of an over-heated imagination.

I should have also mentioned two other reasons in my response

1. There is also have a group of posters who carry grudges from topic to topic.

2. There is also a group that becomes obsessed with other posters, and often ignores the actual TOPIC and just makes posts complaining about the person they carry their grudge/have their obsession with.

Rabia. My poor little Rabia.

In a post where you complain about me using a label......you've invented your own label of "groghanland"........and you don't see what a hypocrite that makes you.

That's the difference between the two of us. (along with about 50 IQ points). You whine and cry about being labeled a nutter and worshipper, but it doesn't bother you at all to use (or when other worshippers) use lables of haters, cupcakes, bitter ex-fans, Slasholes when somebody isn't 100% praising every move that Axl makes.

You have a ridiculous double-standard that soley is based on whether or not you agree/disagree with somebody. I think that all people should be held to the same standard, whereas you pick and choose, all based on the level of worship people have towards a 50-year-old singer.

My advice to you - and this applies to when you get out of high school and into the "real world" as well - is to stand behind your thoughts and opinions, but be open to listen to what other people have to say. And try and stay focused on the actual topics you are discussing, rather then always going into personal-attack mode against those you disagree with. For example - this topic. Rather than doing your usual attack-those-who-I-disagree-with-and-carry-a-grudge-against-mode, you should address the actual TOPIC.

Other posters don't care what you think about ME personally, but they want to know what you think about the actual topic!!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!

As I think I said before, I regularly post in several online forums of other bands I'm a fan of. And I have to say, this forum is by far the one with the largest number of heated discussions and the highest level of animosity among the forum members.

By opening this thread, it is not my intention to offend anyone or to attack anyone. But I was just wondering if the animosity and verbal violence here could be symptomatic of Gnr's stormy history and ongoing/past feuds between Axl and the former gunners.

I can't help but compare this forum to the official Iron Maiden forum. You know, that band has achieved an enviable level of stability. They left the Bruce/Iron Maiden feud behind for good and now they make great records every 3 or 4 years. And I think that level of stability and peace within the band have permeated their fanbase, if you know what I mean. Forum members do get along and of course, you do get your average " who's a better guitarist?" or " who should be or should not be in the band" thread every once in a while. But my point is there's no animosity between the people that post there.

And I have to apologize for my English. It's not my first language and I'm still learning it. So please do forgive me if I haven't been able to make myself clear. I'm doing my best here to convey what I'm trying to say.

But here, it seems that every thread turns into a flame war. Even threads about " what's your favorite song" can turn into a flame war between fans taking sides on the Axl/Slash feud, even if they/we don't have anything to do with it.

Could that be a result of the band's history? You know, that has affected us as a fanbase?

Thanks.

Just curious.

I think when people are passionate about something they love, they tend to get heated by it. Sometimes if a forum is around someone who uses strong language, the forum members tend to follow suit.

The Van Halen forums for a while got pretty bad when they decided not to reunite in '98 and you had all sorts of potshots in the media for years as far as they went. Plus I think MySpace, Facebook and Twitter played a part in places for fans to gather and discuss.

Beatles fans still debate whether or not Yoko broke the band up. The Axl/Slash feud will live on when they're gone.

But I think when Axl & Bumblefoot came on, it kind of validated the two main unofficial forums, where most artists wouldn't have bothered reading it. Of course, some journalists read these forums for anything new, and wound up becoming real news items. Now everything "trends" so it would be popping up if Axl were to reappear in here.

I should have also mentioned two other reasons in my response

1. There is also have a group of posters who carry grudges from topic to topic.

2. There is also a group that becomes obsessed with other posters, and often ignores the actual TOPIC and just makes posts complaining about the person they carry their grudge/have their obsession with.

Rabia. My poor little Rabia.

In a post where you complain about me using a label......you've invented your own label of "groghanland"........and you don't see what a hypocrite that makes you.

That's the difference between the two of us. (along with about 50 IQ points). You whine and cry about being labeled a nutter and worshipper, but it doesn't bother you at all to use (or when other worshippers) use lables of haters, cupcakes, bitter ex-fans, Slasholes when somebody isn't 100% praising every move that Axl makes.

You have a ridiculous double-standard that soley is based on whether or not you agree/disagree with somebody. I think that all people should be held to the same standard, whereas you pick and choose, all based on the level of worship people have towards a 50-year-old singer.

My advice to you - and this applies to when you get out of high school and into the "real world" as well - is to stand behind your thoughts and opinions, but be open to listen to what other people have to say. And try and stay focused on the actual topics you are discussing, rather then always going into personal-attack mode against those you disagree with. For example - this topic. Rather than doing your usual attack-those-who-I-disagree-with-and-carry-a-grudge-against-mode, you should address the actual TOPIC.

Other posters don't care what you think about ME personally, but they want to know what you think about the actual topic!!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!

Yes Groghan, the reason people keep pointing out the absurdity of your false claims is because they have a grudge against you, everyone's out to get you. Its a scary world. :no:

The IQ points idea is hilarious since your "intelligence" resides in complete inability to understand the content of people's posts, distorting their arguments and then hiding behind "industry insiders" to try to compensate for the lack of evidence for claims you make. The claims about education made me laugh since your posts can be used as textbook cases of logical fallacies taught in undergrad writing courses.

I'll tell you the difference between you and me -I've never used labels such as bitter ex fans, Slasholes etc - you only dreamed that I did. See its a pathology- it gets worse and worse for you. I'm only trying to help you by pointing out the disease.

You claimed once that I called you a hater- I asked you for one such post where I did. You ran. You posted at least three times in threads where I didnt even post whining about me- so much for focusing on "content".

Your rigmarole here just proves my point again. You ranting and panting is always intended to do just one thing - compensate for the fact that you lose every argument. You know why? Because you make false claims.

As I predicted, you couldnt find ONE post putting Axl on the level of great historical figures. My point proven. Nothing you can do about it.

Edited by rabia

It must be a drag seeing how CD was a massive worldwide hit topping the charts in over 15 countries and being the 13th best selling album of 2008 despite only being on sale for 8 weeks or so of that year.

I've never seen any evidence to back that up.

because we're bored and people need outlets for their emotions

also, i think fans of nugnr are so utterly humorless that everything upsets them.

Agree. They also seem to lack the ability to tolerate different opinions.

Again, ironic - really works both ways.

also, i think fans of nugnr are so utterly humorless that everything upsets them.

I think we all speak from the heart and I like that.

I think we all speak from the heart and I like that.

If you can't be honest man, what do you have?!

Peace.

great post and pretty much right on.

I was a moderator of the Gnronline forum back in 1999 before it got shut down and let me tell you something. This shit has been going on since the dawn of the internet lol. For whatever reason, a good chunk of hard core GNR fans are nuts.....as in clinically insane.

Abso-fucking-lutely it does.

Ali

Ali

Yes.

Edit - all this is besides the point. Let's face it - if Slash and Axl can play the same show on different days, without coming face to face, it means that they still may not be able to tolerate each other - BUT, they still find a way to work around that fact.

If forum members would take the cue from that and instead of stepping on each other's toes, just stick to their own sections, we could have peace in GN'R land.

Edited by The Archer

Rabia........

I'm sorry, but you come across as a bit of a self-important, pompous ass.

Logical fallacies? Really? Come on - relax - this is a music forum. Give it a rest.

Pointing out the ridiculousness on this music forum is pompous...?rolleyes.gif. If only.

Ali

Yes.

Edit - all this is besides the point. Let's face it - if Slash and Axl can play the same show on different days, without coming face to face, it means that they still may not be able to tolerate each other - BUT, they still find a way to work around that fact.

If forum members would take the cue from that and instead of stepping on each other's toes, just stick to their own sections, we could have peace in GN'R land.

There'll never be peace in Gn'R land :lol:

Rabia........

I'm sorry, but you come across as a bit of a self-important, pompous ass.

Logical fallacies? Really? Come on - relax - this is a music forum. Give it a rest.

Yeah, I should know that logic is only for pompous asses. Music forums can do without it altogether. :)

Of course Sandy! Except I've been around long enough to confirm that nuGuns fans whine more and tolerate a fuckload less than old ones.