why did robin leave?

HisRoyalSweetness

if anyone's got any interesting behind-the-scenes stories of robin's role in the band and his eventual decision(s) to leave, share 'em here! the buckethead leaving thread was one of the best ones we've seen here in years. i want more!

here's the only story i have about robin... we have a mutual friend, and she says he's one of the nicest, sweetest, most humble dudes in the world. just a total sweetheart to the core. so naturally, axl's behavior could often rub him the wrong way. she told me a story about one time axl slipped on stage or had problems with his ear monitor. he raged backstage and blamed it on one of the crew guys. he took the dude's laptop and smashed it on the ground. robin (and possibly others in the band) threatened to quit if didn't replace the guy's computer, which he did. and robin stayed for a while longer.

i'd like to hear more behind-the-scenes about robin's time in gnr. now that chinese democracy has come and gone, i hope people are more willing to talk about the making of that album, and what was going on with the band members.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I have no idea, but thank God he did. He was even shittier than Buckethead.

Edit: He's the by far worst guitarist that I've ever paid to see live.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Robin spoke openly about the first time he quit the band, in 1999. Basically he was proud of the material, but he felt held back due to the lack of activity and was bored of waiting for Axl to finish the album. Apparently several albums worth of stuff was done musically and all it needed was vocals and lyrics and Robin said Axl kept stalling to add any and he got tired of laboring over "songs" like "Instrumental 34". Hence why he quit the first time.

"I'd helped write and arrange and recorded enough songs for several records. [...] Honestly, we recorded so many different song ideas and completed so many different types of songs; from quiet, very simple traditional piano songs to 16 stereo tracks of keyboard blur and everything in between. [...] Most of the stronger songs that ended up on A-lists when I was there were huge rock songs, built for the masses, really guitar-driven." (Robin, Wall of Sound, 05/00)

"We wrote and rehearsed and argued and laboriously recorded several records worth of musical material, which to the best of my knowledge Axl is still finishing. But my work was through. We had dozens of finished songs, as far as I was concerned, and we were waiting for Axl to complete the songs." (Robin, 2000)

"It was great for a while, but then it became terribly frustrating not seeing anything completed because no lyrics were finished. [...] No one song was ever completed and I was there for two and a half years." (Robin, Wall of Sound, 05/00)

"I was excited about the material - the band sounded good. But we'd get a song done to an extent and wait for Axl to write a lyric and/or song. I couldn't work on songs with titles like 'Instrumental 34' anymore." (Robin, Kerrang, 12/99)

"Adding to the frustration was that Finck had passed on the chance to work with Trent Reznor on NIN's latest, The Fragile, in order to do the Rose sessions. 'It's one of the reasons I'm not there anymore. [...] When he finishes the lyrics, I assume [the songs] are going to be released. [...] There's not a release date right now, not that I'm aware of, [...] And I would know. [...] I hope [the songs] turn out great. There's a lot of potential there.'" (Robin, Wall of Sound, 05/00)

"'I was with Axl for a little over two years,' [Finck] says, 'and we recorded dozens of songs together. I'm really proud of what we did as a band. I'm anxious to see how it's completed.' Well, will it be? 'Oh, yes,' Finck says, grinning. 'You may depend on it.'" (Robin, Rolling Stone, 10/99)

Edited by Indigo Miser

I've been following Robin for almost a decade now. He probably left in good terms or he wouldn't have played with them last year. It's obvious Robin was tired to work in a studio for nothing. My favorite guitar player, no doubt. I'm a huge NIN fan and his guitar playing with them fits so much better than with GNR. His work on CD is amazing, a great mix of that bluesy, slash-esque style and some modern licks and some noise here and there.

The moment Robin left I lost 90% of my interest in Guns, but waas glad to see him on stage again with Trent, where he really belongs.

Hopefully, Robin will release some of his music some day. I would love to see him back in GNR as well.

Sorry, I couldn't add any info... I'm sure there are some interesting stuff behind the scenes that we will never get to know.

robin confirms recording dozens of songs with axl rose. confirming my suspicion dj and bumble gotta wait their turn 4 fortune and fame

as for robin leaving in 2008.....just before the chinese democracy record finally dropped.....i still don't know the answer

neither axl rose or guns n roses management is talking about robin on why he left guns n roses in 2008

"Adding to the frustration was that Finck had passed on the chance to work with Trent Reznor on NIN's latest, The Fragile, in order to do the Rose sessions.

That must have sucked...

The Fragile >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>[...]>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chinese Democracy

"Adding to the frustration was that Finck had passed on the chance to work with Trent Reznor on NIN's latest, The Fragile, in order to do the Rose sessions.

That must have sucked...

The Fragile >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>[...]>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chinese Democracy

the fragile sucks. because robin recorded a whole bunch new songs with axl rose we haven't even heard, downloaded, or purchased on itunes yet

i know the unreleased songs robin recorded with axl during the rose sessions blows away the fragile and NIN

I actually have a real behind the scenes story. It is when I went to go see Guns in Monterrey Mexico in 2007. My friend Gloria is a promoter for a local arena. Her friend used to work at the same arena, but moved and had the same duties in the arena of Monterrey. Anyways, she is the one who booked GNR. She invited my friend and of course she invited me. Free concert, with great side stage seats! I remember the day of the show she was sweating bullets cause the band had been there a couple of days and Axl still was still in LA. (stuff we know) After the concert, the promoter gave me some 411 on the show. I think Axl's plane landed around 10:00 p.m. and she said that Robin was livid. When Axl was finally there, and refused to come out Robin was knocking telling Axl to come out. She saw Robin in the hall yelling that , "he always does this shit, I wanna quit...etc. Other info. The promoter had a time watch, to see if Axl plays the time that was on the contract. And I also asked. how much was their fee? She said a cool million.

Anyone who have read the history of the making of CD can only make one (and the right) answer: how can there be a member that is STILL working with Axl? Must take a lot of patience. I completely understand Dizzy, he just doesn't seem to have talent enough to make his own success. But just take a look at the people who leaved the band. Josh Freese, Paul Tobias, Tony Lambretti, Robin Finck, Buckethead, and Brian Mantia. As far as I know, they were all collaborators and composers, am I right? I guess it's very frustrating to spend years working on a project and to see all this hard work being eternally delayed... Of course that's the answer to almost all the cases here.

Edited by GHS

'I think Robin quit because..' he got sick of the amount of time / life he was wasting on what appeared to be an album destined never to be released..

Part of me thinks, if none of the members had quit, and stuck with Axl, the album would be unreleased to this day. I think Axl lived off the buzz, holding onto something so many (at least it was perceived that way) wanted to hear. Once the hired hands started walking away, Axl possibly panicked. To work on something for so long, then at the last minute rush it out complete with error filled booklet along with Frank and BF shoe-horned-in does seem rather bizarre.

Edited by vaida

I actually have a real behind the scenes story. It is when I went to go see Guns in Monterrey Mexico in 2007. My friend Gloria is a promoter for a local arena. Her friend used to work at the same arena, but moved and had the same duties in the arena of Monterrey. Anyways, she is the one who booked GNR. She invited my friend and of course she invited me. Free concert, with great side stage seats! I remember the day of the show she was sweating bullets cause the band had been there a couple of days and Axl still was still in LA. (stuff we know) After the concert, the promoter gave me some 411 on the show. I think Axl's plane landed around 10:00 p.m. and she said that Robin was livid. When Axl was finally there, and refused to come out Robin was knocking telling Axl to come out. She saw Robin in the hall yelling that , "he always does this shit, I wanna quit...etc. Other info. The promoter had a time watch, to see if Axl plays the time that was on the contract. And I also asked. how much was their fee? She said a cool million.

I remember reading something about this previously... Did you write about this after the show? If I am remembering correctly GnR didnt come on until pretty late that night almost 1:00 AM. Axl was on the tarmac for a while sitting in his jet refusing to come out??? Crazy stuff, makes the allegations of stage fright seem quite real

I remember reading something about this previously... Did you write about this after the show? If I am remembering correctly GnR didnt come on until pretty late that night almost 1:00 AM. Axl was on the tarmac for a while sitting in his jet refusing to come out??? Crazy stuff, makes the allegations of stage fright seem quite real

I have mentioned this before.

robin had the balls 2 stand up for the fans wanting axl 2 perform at the church on time?

He loves touring clearly - I think we can all imagine the frustration of not being able to tour as frequently, nor produce music regularly.

surprising robin wanted axl to perform on time LoL

but robin said himself he's recorded dozens of songs with axl. robin recorded these songs before bumblefoot first joined robin on stage at a guns n roses concert

here's the only story i have about robin... we have a mutual friend, and she says he's one of the nicest, sweetest, most humble dudes in the world. just a total sweetheart to the core. so naturally, axl's behavior could often rub him the wrong way. she told me a story about one time axl slipped on stage or had problems with his ear monitor. he raged backstage and blamed it on one of the crew guys. he took the dude's laptop and smashed it on the ground. robin (and possibly others in the band) threatened to quit if didn't replace the guy's computer, which he did. and robin stayed for a while longer.

I know nothing about Robin Finck personally, but being a member of Guns N' Roses forums, and a frequenter to Nine Inch Nails fan sites, this seems to be the general consensus. Him hating Buckethead must have been the exception.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/oct/26/opinion/oe-detournay26

He loves touring clearly - I think we can all imagine the frustration of not being able to tour as frequently, nor produce music regularly.

but robin said himself he's recorded dozens of songs with axl. robin recorded these songs before bumblefoot first joined robin on stage at a guns n roses concert

Not really - most do.

I don't understand your second sentence - how is that relevant?!

Not really - most do.

you imply robin didn't produce music regularly with axl rose in studio. but robin recorded bunches of songs we haven't even heard yet with axl rose. meanwhile, bumblefoot doesn't acknowledge this when he's asked about what the next record will be. bumblefoot thinks it'll be his and dj's songs. when robin recorded an avalanche of new guns n roses songs for the next record

Not really - most do.

you imply robin didn't produce music regularly with axl rose in studio. but robin recorded bunches of songs we haven't even heard yet with axl rose. meanwhile, bumblefoot doesn't acknowledge this when he's asked about what the next record will be. bumblefoot thinks it'll be his and dj's songs. when robin recorded an avalanche of new guns n roses songs for the next record

How many albums were released since... 1998 with new material?

That, in my mind, is producing music regularly - without an audience, it's not worth a lot.

Chinese Democracy highlighted that other members' parts were kept on -and I see no reason why the same wouldn't be for Robin et al.