A comparison to Metallica

hitmanhart408

To be fair at the shows no one cares for new material, perhaps the first couple of rows who are the die hard fans and more than likely active forum members.

The other 12000 at the show just want to hear the hits.

Everyone jumps up from there seats at Sweet Child O Mine, can't say they would with rarely played songs like TWAT, Prostitute or Oh my God, it would be the same for new songs also.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Guns: release Chinese Democracy in 2008

Metallica: release Death Magnetic in 2008 earlier in the year BEFORE Chinese

- Guns: tour in support of Chinese Democracy since 2009 with a break in 2011 before US tour

- Metallica: have toured virtually endlessly since 2008

- Guns: fans are pushing for Axl and the band to release the next album now.

Metallica: they are nowhere near ready to release their next album and have only begun to write.

- Guns: fans complain no new songs are being played

Metallica: play all the old hits. This past weekend at the Orion festival ZERO Death Magnetic songs were played

I just don't understand the GNR fans logic with this double standard

This is such a twisted, warped, horrible comparison.

First of all - Metallica actually gives a shit about their fans, and is doing a whole bunch of other shit besides touring.

They have released new music since Death Magnetic. The Lou Reed album (like it or not) and the Beyond Magnetic EP.

They are also doing their own festival, doing exciting things live such as adding in the Snakepit to their live shows and soon using the biggest stage they've ever used for some Mexico shows with a huge production. They are also filming a movie.

On top of that, their setlists are way more entertaining, change every night (there hasn't been a repeating setlist since 2004), and they handpick each setlist so that the give fans in each city a unique experience from last time. I could seriously go on forever....facefuckingpalm

Are you really making this ridiculous comparison?

Btw, I was at Orion festival. They played To Hell And Back, a song from Beyond Magnetic which was released after Death Magnetic.

Thread should have ended with this post.

Totally. I prefer GNR to Metallica - slightly - but there is no question Metallica has given fans far more than GNR have in the last few years. If you can't see this you're crazy.

Fact is Metallica is the most fan friendly band out there

Uh . . . Metallica sued their fans . . .

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Plus Lu-Lu is the biggest piece of crap in musical history.

And Chinese Democracy is THE masterpiece in the history of music.

:rofl-lol:

SM-

1. For the most part, I think they're both. Essentially just nostalgic cashing grabbing on covers they had nothing to do with for the majority of shows.

Yes, they are catering to the nostalgia market. Yes, they expect a profit from the touring activity. Yes, most band members had little to do with many of the songs being played. I personally don't see a problem with any of this considering there's been so many lineup changed, that the band has a strong back catalogue and that they released a new album only 3.5 years ago.

2. Sorry, bit of a typo, meant even the playing field, as in having more of an equal balance between songs they've actually created and had a hand in, and the classic stuff from the heyday. I think enough time and chances have been given for them to do that, and the fact that remains missing is a bit frustrating, and only adds more fuel to the fire of the concepts of nostalgia, cashgrabbing, cover band, yadda, yadda, and all that good shit I explained in great detail in my initial post.

Yeah. It would have been cool if by now the band would have released 3-4 new albums since 2000 and would have replaced the entire set with only new songs. Or just that the band would have released one more album. I get it. In a few years a new album may have been dropped and perhaps the setlist will feature even more new songs. But the tours will still be for profit (=cash grab), for nostalgia (because old-timers like me will go there primarily to hear the music of our youth) and consist of many songs most band members didn't co-write.

So they claim, but I personally have a hard time believing it, especially since interviews I remember in that time period with Bumble and Tommy implying that they haven't been in the studio since CD wrapped up.

This apparent conflict could be resolved if you accept that the members aren't in the studio simultaneously. Richard could easily have laid down tracks for songs before Tommy or Bumble, or perhaps they laid down tracks earlier (during the late CD sessions). Many possibilities here, I find it a bit weird that you will jump to the conclusion that Richard is outright lying in interviews.

1. and 2.The problem with this is if that in essence, this isn't the same musical outfit to most people even though it's being sold as such. Whether you agree or disagree is irrelevant, because it's fact that that's how most people outside these boards feel about it, and it just happens I agree with them. That's why specifically Axl gets a lot of shit in and out of these boards. And these guys have been milking a majority of the setlist of songs they have not created or contributed to, despite being a "band" for double what the old band was. Bumble and DJ literally spend whole shows playing lead guitar parts to GNR songs they didn't contribute one note for. So even CD songs are kinda covers to a certain extent. Bumble's, Frank's, and Fortus's contributions were pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, and Dj's is still nonexistent. And if you don't see the problem with that, well then, good for you. I never once said they should be playing shows with the entire setlist being nu songs, I just said, things should be evened out by now. The whole "last album was released 3.5 years ago" would've been fine and dandy if these were regular, run in the mill circumstances, but given the money, and time that went into a multiple album project, the fact that we don't even have a hint of any kind of new nu songs around the corner is pretty asinine. Axl's had more than enough time to get the ball rolling, and the fact that there's still a huge over reliance on the old stuff at this point is pretty sad.

3. I'm not jumping to any conclusions, which is why I left it open ended. I'm just saying it could be a possibility of Richard attempting to maintain or gain interest in the nu guys. I think I also made it clear that it might not be the case. The impression I got from Tommy and Bumble in their interviews was that NO work or progress had been made when it came to working on a new nu album. But then again, your view points might be valid as well. You choose to be optimistic, I personally feel the polar opposite. Only time will tell.

Come on man, let's not nitpick everything to death. Obviously I didn't take a census for exact percentages

But a census was not needed. All you needed was to educate yourself on the subject you were speaking on instead of pulling inaccurate figures out of your ass.

Not saying it was needed, and that's my point. You're nitpicking at one thing from an entire, detailed post, and the point remains essentially the same with the exception of a very minor percentage exaggeration. Maybe if you had read or quoted the whole post, you wouldn't have taken that completely out of context.

And you wonder why most don't take you seriously around here anymore, :rolleyes:

Edited by Bobbo

If GNR were to put out an EP like Metallica did, many GNR fans would still shit on it.

God forbid! As a fan, I don't want GN'R to release a piece of shit like Metallica's EP.

I'm not sure whether Metallica's a fan friendly band, but they sure as hell are quick-witted when it comes to getting a buck out of their fans.

Guest Broskirose

Also, very cute to just LOL when completely proven wrong.

You didn't prove anything. You didn't even attempt to. What are you talking about?

If GNR were to put out an EP like Metallica did, many GNR fans would still shit on it.

God forbid! As a fan, I don't want GN'R to release a piece of shit like Metallica's EP.

I'm not sure whether Metallica's a fan friendly band, but they sure as hell are quick-witted when it comes to getting a buck out of their fans.

Wait.......so a band putting out music for their fans is a bad thing, because in your mind, it is just the band trying to make money? Wait........so your bands typically put out albums/music for free? They don't charge for their albums? You'd rather one of your favorite bands put out an album every 15 years, because that shows they care about their fans - by not making them have to pay for albums......whereas a band who puts out music on a regular basis, are pricks, because they are just milking fans for money?

There have been a lot of idiotic posts on this forum over the years, but yours might seriously be the most idiotic post I've ever read at mygnr.com.

And Axl Morris,

Your statement makes me question all your constant Axl worshipping.

You think all Metallica songs sound the same? That just shows your ability to listen and comprehend music is very, very limited. So maybe you should stick to just being a fanboy, and leave the actual music discussion to the adults in the forum?

Broski -

You say it's a twisted, warped, horrible comparison, but then immediately resort to twisted, warped, horrible logic.

You arbitrarily decide that Metallica cares about its fans and that GNR does not. Are you privy to the private feelings and emotions of the members of Metallica and GNR? If so, please share how you were able to come to this conclusion. If not, admit you're simply pulling things out of your ass.

No, I'm going by facts.

GNR has a terrible fan club with virtually no benifits. Metallica has an amazing fan club that is top notch in every sense of the word. I'm a member of both so I can speak with absolute first hand knowledge (I doubt you can). Ex: Through the Metclub I met all 4 members of Metallica. There is no opportunity to do so in the Nightrain and if you want to meet a few members of GNR you have to pay a ridiculous amount of money (and you don't even get to meet the Axl).

Metallica hand picks their setlists for each show and compare to the last time they were in the city so they can offer a unique setlist to the fans and give them the ultimate experience.

I could go on forever...

I don't need to read their minds. Their actions speak clearly.

No MSL, I can't read their minds. Want to hyperfocus on that like a 5 year old? Go ahead.

And as MSL said, they sued their own fans. That's love right there! :wub:

all metallica songs sound the same.

You are without doubt the worst poster of all time.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I am much more a fan of GN'R than Metallica. Metallica is my 2nd favourite band behind GN'R but I have to admit that Metallica are far more active and fan friendly (on a different level to GN'R. Guns is fan friendly but in a different way. Hard to explain).

If we were to compare CD to DM, CD has my vote by a mile. I like DM but it is in my opinion the worst Metallica record.

CD is my favouite record of all time so it is unfair for me to compare it to anything else.

All of you who think we are "anti-GN'R" due to us feeling that Metallica does have the edge on Guns N' Roses need to have a rethink.

By the way, Metallica sued their fans for stealing from them. I think that is pretty fair.

Edited by 2x4

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I am much more a fan of GN'R than Metallica. Metallica is my 2nd favourite band behind GN'R but I have to admit that Metallica are far more active and fan friendly (on a different level to GN'R. Guns is fan friendly but in a different way. Hard to explain).

If we were to compare CD to DM, CD has my vote by a mile. I like DM but it is in my opinion the worst Metallica record.

CD is my favouite record of all time so it is unfair for me to compare it to anything else.

All of you who think we are "anti-GN'R" due to us feeling that Metallica does have the edge on Guns N' Roses need to have a rethink.

By the way, Metallica sued their fans for stealing from them. I think that is pretty fair.

U couldn't b more right. Metallica did what others were afraid to do. It was stealing and who feels bad for the nabster guy anyway? He's a freakin rich motherfucker

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

U couldn't b more right. Metallica did what others were afraid to do. It was stealing and who feels bad for the nabster guy anyway? He's a freakin rich motherfucker

so isnt metallica

you have to be blind to consider gnr a band that treats its fans well. seriously, just compare them to any other band.

oh, i forgot you can't compare gnr to other bands because they are the dangerous band in the world. well, they've been playing quite safe in the last years.

axl is not the last true rock n' roll legend, he just doesn't care about anybody but himself. it's different.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

so isnt metallica

Money aside, stealing is still stealing. Just because someone is "rich" doesn't mean it's okay to steal from them, does it?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

so isnt metallica

Money aside, stealing is still stealing. Just because someone is "rich" doesn't mean it's okay to steal from them, does it?

Worshippers are so funny.

They constantly bash people who want GnR leaks as people who are stealing Axl's intellectual property.....stealing his art........but now they are bashing a band for not wanting that to happen????

The double standards worshippers have are hilarious. They judge Axl one way, and all other bands another way.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

so isnt metallica

They constantly bash people who want GnR leaks as people who are stealing Axl's intellectual property.....stealing his art........but now they are bashing a band for not wanting that to happen????

The double standards worshippers have are hilarious. They judge Axl one way, and all other bands another way.

where did i ever say that?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

so isnt metallica

I have a standing request for a PM alert if anything leaks. Thank you all for your consideration.

I think the argument a lot of people made about the suit was in ref to the statement early in this thread that Metallica was one of the friendliest bands of all time. Phil Anselmo, by contrast, may have been "Fucking hostile" but he never sued me.

If you can make the argument that they sued us in a "friendly way" please, by all means....

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

so isnt metallica

I have a standing request for a PM alert if anything leaks. Thank you all for your consideration.

I think the argument a lot of people made about the suit was in ref to the statement early in this thread that Metallica was one of the friendliest bands of all time. Phil Anselmo, by contrast, may have been "Fucking hostile" but he never sued me.

If you can make the argument that they sued us in a "friendly way" please, by all means....

Did the fans Steal Metallica's music in a "friendly way"?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

so isnt metallica

i agree this whole metallica is wayyyy fan friendly is ridiculous this is the same band whose fans destroyed their albums in the 90s after napster happend. fans who didnt download their music saw this as an attack against the fans, these fans still bought the metallica tshirts bought concert tickets etc. i buy 90% of my music i have a good sized collection of cassettes cds and vinyl. some stuff yes i do download just like a lot of people in the world. i also upload music for people why? IMO if i buy an album i should be able to share it with whoever the fuck i want to share it with.

the whole comparing metallica and gnr in which is more fan friendly(which wasnt even the original intent of the OP) is crazy metallica has said fuck you to the fans just the same as gnr has done it in the past. if some would have compared iron maiden, dio, or rush to gnr then i could see a point but metallica has no fucking leg to stand on never mind how many times lars has taken pot shots at metal fans or tried to distant themselves from their fans in the 1990s

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

so isnt metallica

Did the fans Steal Metallica's music in a "friendly way"?

Your missing the point.

My point: It's hard to call Metallica the friendliest band of all time because they are the one that sued us. Do you think people who downloaded Metallica didn't download 100 other bands albums? But 100 other bands didn't sue the fans, Metallica did. That places 99 bands in front of Metallica on my friendly chart.

In case confusion remains on this topic, that girl that took you to court for the restraining order did NOT do so because she was your friend.

Just saying

great post dead. some of the people on here should go onto some metal sites and post a thread about how fan friendly metallica is and see how fast they tell you to go fuck yourself. like i said if it was a comparison with iron maiden i would agree but metallica isnt the poster child for fan friendliness

Your missing the point.

My point: It's hard to call Metallica the friendliest band of all time because they are the one that sued us. Do you think people who downloaded Metallica didn't download 100 other bands albums? But 100 other bands didn't sue the fans, Metallica did. That places 99 bands in front of Metallica on my friendly chart.

In case confusion remains on this topic, that girl that took you to court for the restraining order did NOT do so because she was your friend.

Just saying

No, I get what you're saying.

But, just because Metallica sued fans for stealing from them doesn't mean they aren't a fan friendly band. Sueing someone who has down wrong by you doesn't mean you are not a friendly person.

how about metallica going after the person that stole the song to be leaked? no instead lars goes out and goes after 300,000 fans shows all the documents in a publicity stunt.

then metallica makes fun and slams metal fans every chance they get, the fans that made them the stars that they are and made them their fucking money. lars goes out and says people who dislike lulu dislike it because they are narrowminded people who cant handle change, not that the riffs are fucking lame the drums are shit and some drunk fuck is mumbling over the top of it.

Edited by bran

at least they release music. with gnr you can't even steal their music and if somebody manages to do that, i'm sure axl will sue the person right away as well. come on, people talking about metallica and law suits. what about axl? he spent 10 years in a court when he should be in a studio.