A comparison to Metallica

hitmanhart408

Your best not to compare New GNR with actual bands; unless you think Spinal Tap is an actual band.

if you don't think new gnr is an actual band, then why are you here discussing new gnr? there are plenty of bands that im sure you would rather discuss on other websites or you could go into the pre-1994 section.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your best not to compare New GNR with actual bands; unless you think Spinal Tap is an actual band.

if you don't think new gnr is an actual band, then why are you here discussing new gnr? there are plenty of bands that im sure you would rather discuss on other websites or you could go into the pre-1994 section.

I am pretty sure he means more the ridiculous situations related to the band that can be a strictly-comedic comparison to Spinal Tap than GNR not being a literal band

well, if i remember correctly they released load, reload, garage inc (double album), st. anger and death magnetic, correct if i'm wrong metallica fans.

gnr has released cd and oh my god.

you simply can't compare. one band clearly works as a band, the other is a dictatorship.

gnr works as a band the same if not more like a band than metallica does

really? why?

The GNR poster competition people on the GNR official site have been trying to find out a winner for 3 months

Yeah, it's ridiculous. I don't even log in there anymore. It is the worst purchase I've ever made.

The websites also promoting a sale on the front page that has been over for about a week :lol:

Who gives a shit about Metallica?

This is exactly what I was thinking lmao

well, if i remember correctly they released load, reload, garage inc (double album), st. anger and death magnetic, correct if i'm wrong metallica fans.

you simply can't compare. one band clearly works as a band, the other is a dictatorship.

really? why?

Well Metallica hasn't really released anything good since the black album and that's a long time. So in reality they haven't worked or clicked like a band in a like 15 or so years.

Guest Broskirose

really? why?

Well Metallica hasn't really released anything good since the black album and that's a long time. So in reality they haven't worked or clicked like a band in a like 15 or so years.

I think we can sum up this topic by saying that some fans are just getting sick of nothing. There's no doubt that metallica has a better relationship with the fans than gnr. How do I know this? Every band has a better relationship!

We all know gnr isn't like other bands. In the end, I think that's why I like them so much. But still this is getting ridiculous. We've heard from interviews with fortus, dizzy, dj, and tommy that the band is ready to write and get in the studio. We all know that means nothing until the man himself says something.

Well that is subjective, not a fact. Just because you personally do not like post-Black Album material does not mean they are any less of a band

axl himself would admit he does things for himself and couldn't care less about fans and media so people trying to prove that gnr is more fan-friendly than metallica are simply delusional.

i don't think metallica hasn't released anything good since the black album but even if that was true, i think it's still better than no music at all, at least the fans can discuss the music, which is the only thing that matters.

every aspect of gnr is over-analyzed. stupid threads are a consequence of the lack of new music. i'd prefer a thread about a bad song than a thread about axl's shoes.

really? why?

Really?

So, you don't care about Metallica but you care enough to "know" that they haven't released anything good since TBA? Wake up!

really? why?

james would go write his lyrics on his own, and lars would work on the music and then they would tell everyone how and what to play how is that more of a band than gnr?

Edited by bran

really? why?

james would go write his lyrics on his own, and lars would work on the music and then they would tell everyone how and what to play how is that more of a band than gnr?

i was just asking because i'm not really a metallica fan.

well, if you say so, it must be true. so i guess they are very similar. chinese democracy was created with band members not even sharing the studio at the same time. specially axl. so they have basically the same work ethic.

really? why?

That's pretty fit to the GNR brandname too :rolleyes: GNR hasn't released anything really good since the UYI's. So in reality they haven't worked or clicked like a band in a like 15 or so years.

really? why?

That's pretty fit to the GNR brandname too :rolleyes: GNR hasn't released anything really good since the UYI's. So in reality they haven't worked or clicked like a band in a like 15 or so years.

That's exactly my point tho. There is really no need to compare the two bands like they did; as far as consistency goes n I know that it's my opinion but I think most fans of both bands will agree that the are not the same bands they use to be.

- Guns: release Chinese Democracy in 2008

Metallica: release Death Magnetic in 2008 earlier in the year BEFORE Chinese

- Guns: tour in support of Chinese Democracy since 2009 with a break in 2011 before US tour

- Metallica: have toured virtually endlessly since 2008

- Guns: fans are pushing for Axl and the band to release the next album now.

Metallica: they are nowhere near ready to release their next album and have only begun to write.

- Guns: fans complain no new songs are being played

Metallica: play all the old hits. This past weekend at the Orion festival ZERO Death Magnetic songs were played

I just don't understand the GNR fans logic with this double standard

Releases:

Metallica have released numerous dvd's and cd's since Death Magnetic while G N' R fails big time when it comes to releasing new material. They (G N' R) promise a lot, they talk a lot about "future" releases but they fail over and over again to do so.

Setlists:

Metallica's set of the today shows are build up around the 20th birthday of the Black album so it seems logic to me that because of that they play more songs from that era. No? The set of G N' R on the other hand start to become realy annoying to me because Axl is using the core of this set since the first live shows of his band in 2000.

No one is holding them to a different standard. Fact is Metallica is the most fan friendly band out there and GNR is the least fan friendly band. I love them both but, you've gotta be completely insane if you can't see the OBVIOUS differences between the two.

You mean like the time Metallica sued their fans? That was pretty fan friendly. Most fan friendly band for sure.

I mean I know they said they were sorry and all, but there are about a gazillion bands that have never sued their fans. Calling them the "most fan friendly band" might be a weeeee bit of a stretch.

Just sayin

Guest Broskirose

No one is holding them to a different standard. Fact is Metallica is the most fan friendly band out there and GNR is the least fan friendly band. I love them both but, you've gotta be completely insane if you can't see the OBVIOUS differences between the two.

You mean like the time Metallica sued their fans? That was pretty fan friendly. Most fan friendly band for sure.

I mean I know they said they were sorry and all, but there are about a gazillion bands that have never sued their fans. Calling them the "most fan friendly band" might be a weeeee bit of a stretch.

Just sayin

They were taking a stand against piracy. I don't agree/disagree/care. But, they had reason. And it's a much more complex issue than simply saying "they sued their fans".

+50$ a ticket (or even +250$ for a VIP ticket) for a nostalgia act show is also very fan friendly.

Guest Broskirose

metallica charges high prices and plays nothing from their latest LP. GNR plays half of their latest LP. which is the nostalgia act again?

Dude - you are judging one festival as their entire setlist everywhere? lol. Did you not read the part about them changing their setlist every night? Yeah, they didn't play any Death Magnetic songs at Orion festival this weekend...so what?

You are simply unreasonable.

Edit: not to mention the World Magnetic tour ended. They are not touring behind Death Magnetic anymore. And they've put out an EP since Death Magnetic which they did play material from at Orion. No matter what way you attempt to twist things, you are wrong.

Edited by Broskirose

so if almost every band from the 80s that still exists is a nostalgia act, why is GNR criticized so much for this? especially when they play more recent material than almost any major band from their era?

I would say - at least in terms on general public - GNR is criticized more or less because of the whole Axl being the sole member of the band situation along with the long wait for 1 album since 1993 and a few other factors. But this sort of stems out into a second discussion, the first one being holding GNR to the same standard in terms of general productivity both in touring as well as studio output. I personally would argue it isn't a double standard to see what Metallica does as "more productive" because they have at the very least put out one record with Lou Reed and another record of B-sides. But yes I would consider both to be "nostalgia acts" meaning they will never achieve as much success and momentum as their "primal" years.

Edited by WhazUp

metallica charges high prices and plays nothing from their latest LP. GNR plays half of their latest LP. which is the nostalgia act again?

It's only since this year with the 20th birthday of the Black album that Metallica is playing a set without Death Magnetic songs. What does Axl do to "refresh" the setlist? He fills up the set with more cover tunes and classic songs. All old, nothing new. That's called nostalgia.

metallica's album is older than GNR's and i personally think GNR will put out another proper album before metallica does.

Serious? :lol:

Edited by droezle

Guest Broskirose
Dude - you are judging one festival as their entire setlist everywhere? lol. Did you not read the part about them changing their setlist every night? Yeah, they didn't play any Death Magnetic songs at Orion festival this weekend...so what?

You are simply unreasonable.

Edit: not to mention the World Magnetic tour ended. They are not touring behind Death Magnetic anymore. And they've put out an EP since Death Magnetic which they did play material from at Orion. No matter what way you attempt to twist things, you are simply wrong.

i've been to every metallica tour in the last twenty years. i follow the setlists of most of the shows i don't attend. i am not judging from orion fest. i am familiar with their other recent sets as well. apparently you are not.

the chinese democracy tour ended too. so what is your point?

i am not twisting anything. i'm not even criticizing metallica. i am a huge fan. i just think it's hilarious that GNR fans act like it's outrageous that GNR continue to tour without a new album since 2008 while many bands from their generation do the same thing.

metallica's album is older than GNR's and i personally think GNR will put out another proper album before metallica does.

I am quite familiar. Do you not realise that they are playing The Black Album for it's 25th anniversary? That doesn't leave much room for Death Magnetic material when you add in the staples/rotating slots.

Who cares? The World Magnetic tour is over. They toured that album. Now they're moving on.

You don't see the difference between GNR and Metallica. And the difference is huge. You want to pretend they're on even similar ground and they aren't. Just because they both released full length albums in 2008 and haven't yet released one since, doesn't mean they are the same deal. That is such a black/white and twisted way of looking at things. There are gray area's....lots.

Question is that most 'fans' at the shows couldn't give a shit about CD material and most don't even know that album existed in the first place...

If CD songs were replaced by more UYI era songs the show would be more interesting for most people attending.

New Gn'R will always be a nostalgia act or won't survive...

Edited by trqster

Just sayin

great post yeah and the same band whose drummer said selling out is giving fans what they wanted :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: