A comparison to Metallica

hitmanhart408

- Guns: release Chinese Democracy in 2008

Metallica: release Death Magnetic in 2008 earlier in the year BEFORE Chinese

- Guns: tour in support of Chinese Democracy since 2009 with a break in 2011 before US tour

- Metallica: have toured virtually endlessly since 2008

- Guns: fans are pushing for Axl and the band to release the next album now.

Metallica: they are nowhere near ready to release their next album and have only begun to write.

- Guns: fans complain no new songs are being played

Metallica: play all the old hits. This past weekend at the Orion festival ZERO Death Magnetic songs were played

I just don't understand the GNR fans logic with this double standard

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Guns: tour in support of Chinese Democracy since 2009 with a break in 2011 before US tour

Metallica: they are nowhere near ready to release their next album and have only begun to write.

Metallica: play all the old hits. This past weekend at the Orion festival ZERO Death Magnetic songs were played

Metallica is Metallica, GNR is GNR.

Guest Broskirose

This is such a twisted, warped, horrible comparison.

First of all - Metallica actually gives a shit about their fans, and is doing a whole bunch of other shit besides touring.

They have released new music since Death Magnetic. The Lou Reed album (like it or not) and the Beyond Magnetic EP.

They are also doing their own festival, doing exciting things live such as adding in the Snakepit to their live shows and soon using the biggest stage they've ever used for some Mexico shows with a huge production. They are also filming a movie.

On top of that, their setlists are way more entertaining, change every night (there hasn't been a repeating setlist since 2004), and they handpick each setlist so that the give fans in each city a unique experience from last time. I could seriously go on forever....facefuckingpalm

Are you really making this ridiculous comparison?

Btw, I was at Orion festival. They played To Hell And Back, a song from Beyond Magnetic which was released after Death Magnetic.

Guest Broskirose

Still doesn't explain why many of you bitter internet nerds choose to hold GNR to a different standard than any other band.

No one is holding them to a different standard. Fact is Metallica is the most fan friendly band out there and GNR is the least fan friendly band. I love them both but, you've gotta be completely insane if you can't see the OBVIOUS differences between the two.

Still doesn't explain why many of you bitter internet nerds choose to hold GNR to a different standard than any other band.

I am not bitter, just critical. And I never said that Metallica should get a pass and GNR shouldn't, although in all fairness Metallica did release Lulu and the b-sides to Death Magnetic - as well as some great fan club perks. Plus they have done interesting stuff tour wise

If my fantasy world came true both bands would be up to Pearl Jam's level in that aspect, but I don't because they are not GNR and GNR is not Pearl Jam. I just personally hold GNR to some standard rather than "take it as it comes and never voice dissatisfaction"

Edited by WhazUp

This is such a twisted, warped, horrible comparison.

First of all - Metallica actually gives a shit about their fans, and is doing a whole bunch of other shit besides touring.

They have released new music since Death Magnetic. The Lou Reed album (like it or not) and the Beyond Magnetic EP.

They are also doing their own festival, doing exciting things live such as adding in the Snakepit to their live shows and soon using the biggest stage they've ever used for some Mexico shows with a huge production. They are also filming a movie.

On top of that, their setlists are way more entertaining, change every night (there hasn't been a repeating setlist since 2004), and they handpick each setlist so that the give fans in each city a unique experience from last time. I could seriously go on forever....facefuckingpalm

Are you really making this ridiculous comparison?

Btw, I was at Orion festival. They played To Hell And Back, a song from Beyond Magnetic which was released after Death Magnetic.

the reason for the comparison is to try and show that GNR fans hold the band to some impossible double standard as compared to other bands. Metallica was chosen to try and pick a major band. No matter what GNR does, right or wrong, people will never be happy. If GNR were to put out an EP like Metallica did, many GNR fans would still shit on it.

how is Lulu a factor? Every review I saw or heard was a shitty review and they don't play any of that material live. It was just a side project that lasted 5 minutes. At least the EP is real Metallica songs but those are left overs from DM. They are STILL touring since 2008 with no album coming soon

Guest Broskirose

Broski -

You say it's a twisted, warped, horrible comparison, but then immediately resort to twisted, warped, horrible logic.

You arbitrarily decide that Metallica cares about its fans and that GNR does not. Are you privy to the private feelings and emotions of the members of Metallica and GNR? If so, please share how you were able to come to this conclusion. If not, admit you're simply pulling things out of your ass.

No, I'm going by facts.

GNR has a terrible fan club with virtually no benifits. Metallica has an amazing fan club that is top notch in every sense of the word. I'm a member of both so I can speak with absolute first hand knowledge (I doubt you can). Ex: Through the Metclub I met all 4 members of Metallica. There is no opportunity to do so in the Nightrain and if you want to meet a few members of GNR you have to pay a ridiculous amount of money (and you don't even get to meet the Axl).

Metallica hand picks their setlists for each show and compare to the last time they were in the city so they can offer a unique setlist to the fans and give them the ultimate experience.

I could go on forever...

I don't need to read their minds. Their actions speak clearly.

No MSL, I can't read their minds. Want to hyperfocus on that like a 5 year old? Go ahead.

how is Lulu a factor? Every review I saw or heard was a shitty review and they don't play any of that material live. It was just a side project that lasted 5 minutes. At least the EP is real Metallica songs but those are left overs from DM. They are STILL touring since 2008 with no album coming soon

They don't play Lulu live because Lou Reed isn't with them, but it is still a studio album of Metallica creating music, regardless of its critical reception. And yes the EP is leftovers but at least it is something, and the songs are actually quite good IMO

Again, no double standard, if I had my way both GNR and Metallica should be to the level of excellence Pearl Jam is at in that aspect. But like I said in my last post, I hold GNR to at least some sort of standard

Guest Broskirose

They have played Lulu songs live on multiple occasions but, you realise it's a collaboration with Lou Reed so they need Lou Reed with them to do it, right?

Beyond Magnetic may be an EP of leftovers, but it's more output than GNR has given since 08. Which, need me remind everyone is - nothing. It's still new music to the fans so who cares when it was recorded?

well, if i remember correctly they released load, reload, garage inc (double album), st. anger and death magnetic, correct if i'm wrong metallica fans.

gnr has released cd and oh my god.

you simply can't compare. one band clearly works as a band, the other is a dictatorship.

well, if i remember correctly they released load, reload, garage inc (double album), st. anger and death magnetic, correct if i'm wrong metallica fans.

you simply can't compare. one band clearly works as a band, the other is a dictatorship.

that has nothing to do with the topic im trying to debate. The topic is about 2008-now. Even if the past albums did come into play, like MSL said, GNR never had a stable line up. I also previously said Metallica was an example I was using, but the point of the topic is to compare to other bands.

Guest Broskirose

Broski -

Having a top notch fanclub offers no indication of whether a band cares about their fans one way or the other. Could just as easily be an indication of how much they care about money.

I'm happy for you that you met Metallica. I personally would not pay even $1 to meet anybody from any band.

Feel free to list as many reasons as you want for why you prefer Metallica, but you are not in a position to speak on who cares about their fans more unless you have shared private honest moments with the people you're speaking of.

I didn't pay anything to meet them. That is the point I'm trying to make. However, if you want to meet a couple members of GNR that, let's be honest, most people don't care about, you have to pay a shitload of cash.

As someone who is not a member of the Metclub I don't think you're in any position to make baseless speculation about their motives. Especially if you claim that I'm not because I can't read their minds. :rolleyes:

When did I say I prefer Metallica? Keep putting words in my mouth. :thumbsup:

that has nothing to do with the topic im trying to debate. The topic is about 2008-now. Even if the past albums did come into play, like MSL said, GNR never had a stable line up. I also previously said Metallica was an example I was using, but the point of the topic is to compare to other bands.

well, sorry.

let's compare them after 2008:

metallica keeps touring, released a side project with lou reed and an ep.

gnr keeps touring.

gnr works as a band the same if not more like a band than metallica does

well, sorry.

let's compare them after 2008:

metallica keeps touring, released a side project with lou reed and an ep.

gnr keeps touring.

would you be more happy if gnr released a shitty album with lou reed?

No band that asks for currency in exchange for Lulu can be called good to the fans.

or plays shitty live and asks for an arm and a leg in return

Guest Broskirose

The GNR poster competition people on the GNR official site have been trying to find out a winner for 3 months

Yeah, it's ridiculous. I don't even log in there anymore. It is the worst purchase I've ever made.