At what point are you an alcoholic?

arnold layne

There are a few fearmongerers who liked to put any aspect of doubt in your mind.

Personally I only have a drink twice a week, on weekends and I only get drunk those days. Every week day I am dry. It's pretty physically demanding on me. I had a beer last night and woke up with a headache. :lol:

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

When you can't do anything sober. You have to take a drink before doing anything normal.

or when you drink your own puke because there is alcohol in it.

When you can't do anything sober. You have to take a drink before doing anything normal.

Is that a dig at me you cheeky cow? <_<

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I believe it was about Duff.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

I believe it was about Duff.

:lol: yeah. I was thinking of Duff - he said it in his book. That little nugget of information along with spitting on hotel carpets every monring are images that will haunt me forever. Disgusting!!

I didn't know you drank your own puke Dazey. 'Rank' as you'd say!! :scared:

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel

When you no longer qualify for a liver transplant.

Don't forget that alcohol *abuse* can kill your pancreas too...

Actually, there is a very popular questionnary for quick assessment of people who have alcohol problems.

It's called "CAGE", it's not perfect (specificity of 76%), but it's very easy to use.

You can find it even in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAGE_questionnaire

*Edited*

You can drink responsibly

Edited by Shooting Star

Arnold, if you're worried, don't drink as much. Alcoholism and drinking problems are 2 different things. They usually go hand in hand, but you can still function if you're an alcoholic. Just take it easy and see how it is.

Arnold, if you're worried, don't drink as much. Alcoholism and drinking problems are 2 different things. They usually go hand in hand, but you can still function if you're an alcoholic. Just take it easy and see how it is.

I'm not worried about my habits right now. I'm worried about my future.

I'm not worried about my habits right now. I'm worried about my future.

So stop drinking in the future. If you like to drink, then drink, if it starts causing problems, health or otherwise, stop drinking. Some people can handle drinking a lot, some people can't. I mean both physically or emotionally. People that go to AA are ridiculous in my opinion. I mean, I guess if it works for you, but the whole "powerless" approach seems ridiculous to me.

And I am quite aware of the irony of me talking about moderation or control

I think when you can't function without it. Like you wake up and have to drink to get out of bed. If you have withdrawal symptoms everyday.

If you take one day off a week. You'll be fine. I mean many have tried and failed to be alcoholics. It's either in you or not.

Guest Len B'stard

a proper alkie is someone who gets the shits, sweats and shakes if they don't get a drink, proper addiction is something cultivated by drinking a bottle of spirits a day for a good long while til you have a proper physical dependency. I don't believe all this "mental addiction" stuff.