Has Axl given up on defending himself?

Jakey Styley

In 01-02, there were plenty of great rants like this from Axl that were defending himself, whether it be against Slash, the media, or internet fans. He was quick to point out what he claimed to be bullshit.

Harsh and maybe untrue things are still posted about him up to this day (remember the voodoo story?), but have we seen Axl bother to address any of them? The only time he has was regarding the T-shirt issue when he made his Madison post. We rarely, if at all, get rants like the ones we used to see. Do you think he feels that he has no power to defend himself anymore? Does he even care?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he painted himself into a corner. He'll never release his alleged auto-biography because of all the scrutiny. It's pretty obvious at this point that he did wrong others, and he really can't defend himself. A lot of what is said about him is true, and verified.

In 01-02, there were plenty of great rants like this from Axl that were defending himself, whether it be against Slash, the media, or internet fans. He was quick to point out what he claimed to be bullshit.

Harsh and maybe untrue things are still posted about him up to this day (remember the voodoo story?), but have we seen Axl bother to address any of them? The only time he has was regarding the T-shirt issue when he made his Madison post. We rarely, if at all, get rants like the ones we used to see. Do you think he feels that he has no power to defend himself anymore? Does he even care?

this video shows why it's time robin finck returns 2 guns n roses

i've never seen or read Axl taking the blame for something, i've never seen him saying he was wrong about something, does anybody have video or text to prove me wrong?

I guess Axl's problem doesn't really concern sincerity or arrogance. I think he's a little paranoid with persecution mania.

Edited by GHS

i've never seen or read Axl taking the blame for something, i've never seen him saying he was wrong about something, does anybody have video or text to prove me wrong?

I think in the 2006 Eddie Trunk interview he admitted to "blaming it all on Zutaut" or something like that. It wasn't clear in the interview whether the blame was intentional or accidental though. He also accused Slash of insulting him while was getting his hand bandaged up back stage. He later apologized in an interview with Del James of RIP magazine regarding the incident.

If anyone has refrained from defending himself/herself, it is Slash. Slash has been accused of being a media-whore, liar, cancer by Axl. The only time he really has defended himself is in interviews when he explains events that happened over time. "Whatever"

I remember he kind of apologized for One in a Million. He admitted in the end that he was acting petty, seeking revenge against some black people that were hassling him and that was why he wrote those lyrics.

I think Axl owe the fans of the old band an apology for being such a dictator towards the other members. He destroyed the legacy of one of the greatest rock bands to ever exist.

I don't think an apology would do much these days. That ship has sailed.

His projected aggressions towards others is just unacceptable, no matter what kind of little word of logic he lives in. I think the lyrics to Sorry and his public letter after Slash visited his house pretty much reflect the super ego he has. You make your bed, now you lay in it. People shouldn't feel sorry for him. It's better to move on.

I think Axl owe the fans of the old band an apology for being such a dictator towards the other members. He destroyed the legacy of one of the greatest rock bands to ever exist.

Yeah, but see, that's what you think. I get the impression that Axl doesn't believe he did anything wrong. So it doesn't matter what the rest of the world thinks he owes to anyone as long as he doesn't come to a similar realisation himself. :shrugs:

Edited by KiraMPD

Do you even bother to do any thinking for yourself or would you rather just indulge yourself in the entertaining Hollywood-esque story of the evil dictator Axl terrorizing his band members to the point of destroying one of the greatest rock bands ever?

I mean, I'm sure there's some truth in that, but your post just takes it to an almost caricature-like extreme.

Nobody is giving the guy unfair treatment here. He personally didn't wrong most people as fans. What he did to his band was serious and his behavior is bizarre. You're insulting people's intelligences if you think we can't discuss the wrongs Axl committed because we view him as an archetypical villain from a movie. There is nothing wrong with criticism.

Edited by WillieC

There's really not much to defend against as he rarely gets any press anymore.....but if he released his autobiography now that would be something..........

That is exactly it. Outside of this forum, nobody is really talking about the touring band called GnR.

A new album, an autobiography......something new would bring his name back into current relevance. Heck, concert posts now only draw 3-4 pages of comments. Unless they are playing in your city, today is a boring time to be a GnR fan.

But now what would he rant about? Would he bash fans that want a new album? Complain about fans who wish they would mix up the live shows?

Do you even bother to do any thinking for yourself or would you rather just indulge yourself in the entertaining Hollywood-esque story of the evil dictator Axl terrorizing his band members to the point of destroying one of the greatest rock bands ever?

I mean, I'm sure there's some truth in that, but your post just takes it to an almost caricature-like extreme.

Can't you see a pattern?

Why did Buckethead leave?

Why did Robin leave?

Why did Brain leave?

Why is the classic era over?

Why would I blame Slash when all he wanted was to record and love music again after the UYI tours?

Why would I blame Bucket and Robin after seeing their work locked in vaults to one day *maybe* it sees the ligh of day?

Like I said, I don't care about a reunion. I'm not a fan of Slash's solo carreer. It just amazes me to see how some people can't see how Axl got rid of amazing musicians to have total control over his band.

If Axl wanted Ron Thal as his employee, he'd have hired him in place of Bucket. If Axl wanted DJ Ashba as lead-guitar and sidekick, why did he go after Robin first? Same with Frank.

Current GNR is a band of 2nd options, and a band like GNR doesn't deserve that.

IMO there is nothing to rant about. He is in a happy place at this point in his life. Everything is perfect with Guns N' Roses. New material will be out, it will be worth the wait.

I think he painted himself into a corner. He'll never release his alleged auto-biography because of all the scrutiny. It's pretty obvious at this point that he did wrong others, and he really can't defend himself. A lot of what is said about him is true, and verified.

Obvious only in your little fantasy world.

I think this thread was a dumb idea. Axl's behavior in defending himself hasn't really changed at all over the years so I don't see how he has "given up" on defending himself. His most recent RRHOF letter reflects that. The whole premise of this thread is built on a vague concept and vague allusions to accusations. I don't really see any facts to back up the OP's claims.

I think this thread was a dumb idea. Axl's behavior in defending himself hasn't really changed at all over the years so I don't see how he has "given up" on defending himself. His most recent RRHOF letter reflects that. The whole premise of this thread is built on a vague concept and vague allusions to accusations. I don't really see any facts to back up the OP's claims.

I was gonna bring up the RNRHOF thing. That was Axl rant at its purest.

Can't you see a pattern?

Why did Buckethead leave?

Why did Robin leave?

Why did Brain leave?

Why is the classic era over?

Why would I blame Slash when all he wanted was to record and love music again after the UYI tours?

Why would I blame Bucket and Robin after seeing their work locked in vaults to one day *maybe* it sees the ligh of day?

Like I said, I don't care about a reunion. I'm not a fan of Slash's solo carreer. It just amazes me to see how some people can't see how Axl got rid of amazing musicians to have total control over his band.

If Axl wanted Ron Thal as his employee, he'd have hired him in place of Bucket. If Axl wanted DJ Ashba as lead-guitar and sidekick, why did he go after Robin first? Same with Frank.

Current GNR is a band of 2nd options, and a band like GNR doesn't deserve that.

How many lead singers has Slash gone through since leaving GnR? I count 4 in 5 albums (excluding his solo debut which had a bunch of singers). He's had an ugly falling out with at least 2 of the 4.