Marc,did you feel betrayed as well?

Marc,

You have stated that Axl has shuned you because he felt betrayed by your decision to release Reckless Road. While i have backed Axl in almost every public way ,I have never understood Axl's position on the release of the book. I have a couple of questions. First, I would like to know if you felt equally betrayed by Axl not supporting this book. I mean, you put blood, sweat , and tears into this book, and it seems as if he had no repsect for that at all. Furthermore, it seems absurd that in 2007, that such a book would detract from what he was doing with his band. Secondly, can you describe in detail, or to the best of you recollection, the conversation about the release of the book with Axl and his exact reasoning for asking you to not release it ? One ,ore question? What is the deal with Robert John? How can a man that was given such access to Axl be turned away , and was he given access to Axl during the silent years?

I was hurt at first when I asked him to help with some interview questions we had for the book and I also wanted some of his words about me for the foreword. All my life I've done nice things for people and never really asked for anything from others. I didn't ever think Axl would just leave me hanging when I needed something from him that was very important to me. I don't think he realized how much this book meant to me. Being a fan, I needed to get this stuff out to other fans because I know what its like to get a hold of something as special as the birth of the band that has changed your life. To see their first 50 gigs and get all that good insight from the people that were involved with the band. I love making people happy, it is very rewarding for me to be able to do that. The problem is Axl is so upset with Slash that he was willing to ruin a great friendship with me over it. Axl is someone that I could trust with anything and not worry about it. There are not a lot of people that I can say that about. He also thought the same way about me. Also the book was first put together in 1993 to 1994 and at the time Axl loved it.

By the way its not just me, he has given up many people in his life that love him and that would donate a body part for him. the anger he has for Slash is the reason. If he thinks somehow these people support Slash, then its over. I guess he must see it as this, Its like I put out his wedding album 12 years after a nasty split. He doesn't want to see Slash promoted in anyway. He would rather have the fans forget about the old band and focus on the new. He thinks Reckless Road is a reminder to the fans of the old band and guess what, he is right on that one. But what good is the new band with out the history of the old. There is nothing that can ever be done to erase the old band. Reckless Road only helps the name GNR but Axl may never see it that way. Also keep in mind that Axl is caring around a huge bolder on his shoulders that he seams to have trouble getting rid of. So now I have added some weight to that bolder. I added more problems and distractions from his plan to bury the old band.So now I'm one of the bad guys even through I would give him a body part if he needed it.

Not much I can tell you about Robert John, except that he turned down a lot of good offers in from 1993 to 2000 because he was trying to stay loyal to what Axl wanted. At some point he couldn't pay his bills anymore so things started to fall apart.

Edited by recklessroad

Someone really needs to lock Axl and Slash in a room until they sort out their shit. The way Axl thinks of him seems really unhealthy to me.

Axl has a problem and it is not Slash. He might think it is Slash but infact it sounds like it goes a lot deeper. I hope Slash never has to have contact with him again. Slash is sober and doing well contact with Axl could cause him to slide back down. JMO

I was hurt at first when I asked him to help with some interview questions we had for the book and I also wanted some of his words about me for the foreword. All my life I've done nice things for people and never really asked for anything from others. I didn't ever think Axl would just leave me hanging when I needed something from him that was very important to me. I don't think he realized how much this book meant to me. Being a fan, I needed to get this stuff out to other fans because I know what its like to get a hold of something as special as the birth of the band that has changed your life. To see their first 50 gigs and get all that good insight from the people that were involved with the band. I love making people happy, it is very rewarding for me to be able to do that. The problem is Axl is so upset with Slash that he was willing to ruin a great friendship with me over it. Axl is someone that I could trust with anything and not worry about it. There are not a lot of people that I can say that about. He also thought the same way about me. Also the book was first put together in 1993 to 1994 and at the time Axl loved it.

By the way its not just me, he has given up many people in his life that love him and that would donate a body part for him. the anger he has for Slash is the reason. If he thinks somehow these people support Slash, then its over. I guess he must see it as this, Its like I put out his wedding album 12 years after a nasty split. He doesn't want to see Slash promoted in anyway. He would rather have the fans forget about the old band and focus on the new. He thinks Reckless Road is a reminder to the fans of the old band and guess what, he is right on that one. But what good is the new band with out the history of the old. There is nothing that can ever be done to erase the old band. Reckless Road only helps the name GNR but Axl may never see it that way. Also keep in mind that Axl is caring around a huge bolder on his shoulders that he seams to have trouble getting rid of. So now I have added some weight to that bolder. I added more problems and distractions from his plan to bury the old band.So now I'm one of the bad guys even through I would give him a body part if he needed it.

Not much I can tell you about Robert John, except that he turned down a lot of good offers in from 1993 to 2000 because he was trying to stay loyal to what Axl wanted. At some point he couldn't pay his bills anymore so things started to fall apart.

And too think, all's Axl would have to do is rename his band and wala, all the focus would be on his new band

I often wonder if his hate for Slash has to do with Slash walking away,more than Axl saying he told lies and whatever.But who am I to know if Slash has told lies?

I also wonder if it has to do with those people that cared a lot about Axl,and as you say would give them a body part....during the time of the Great Divide of the band.There were a lot of people around them,some close friends....that either walked away(Robert John) or passed away (Shannon Hoon,West Arkeen) or even as far back a his childhood with people like his family that were suppose to care for him,but didn't.Then you have his girlfriends that he thought were the one(s),they walked away too.I think all of that has an effect on Slash walking away.Slash walking away was just the icing on the cake per se.I think Slash was one of the people that Axl had deeply hoped wouldn't go or have a tragic ending.

And I also feel like he is mad because he had no control over Slash walking.

But this is all my opinion.Not saying or tryin to prove it as a fact.

I know from my own personal experience,it's not so easy getting over someone walking away from you(my dad),that according to the world,is suppose to be there for you and care about you.Do I condone Axl not speaking to Slash?Hell no.There's nothing that I would love more in this world is for Axl to regain his friendship with Slash.But sometimes it is easier for some people than others to get over this type of situation or to just ignore the past in order to have a future relationship with someone,like I do with my dad.My dad hurt my brother and I by walking away from my mother and choosing a woman that had 3 kids that he practically raised.But that a long story that doesn't belong here.Just trying to give an example here.

Only those two and a select few know what really happened.Even if one of them dies and takes it to the grave.Someone somewhere is goin to spill the beans eventually.Cause the world is left scratching their heads.

Edited by SweetRose

Like Marc has said, as of 2001 Axl was still willing to let Slash come back and contribute to the new record if he apologized for leaving.

Since time has dragged on, I think Axl has been driven to insanity by the fact that 10 years later, the apology still hasn't happened.

Slash not apologizing makes Axl question if he was in fact "right", and like Marc has said, Slash shouldn't have to apologize since neither man was "right" in the breakup.

Slash would have to say to Axl "ok, you're right - you win" in order for Axl to work with him again. But then any kind of reunion would still be dictated by Axl, so why would Slash care to do that?

Like Marc has said, as of 2001 Axl was still willing to let Slash come back and contribute to the new record if he apologized for leaving.

Since time has dragged on, I think Axl has been driven to insanity by the fact that 10 years later, the apology still hasn't happened.

Slash not apologizing makes Axl question if he was in fact "right", and like Marc has said, Slash shouldn't have to apologize since neither man was "right" in the breakup.

Slash would have to say to Axl "ok, you're right - you win" in order for Axl to work with him again. But then any kind of reunion would still be dictated by Axl, so why would Slash care to do that?

Agree with you. Both Slash and Axl have certain things they could apologise for (axl has more things to apologise for in my opinion) - but the only way Axl would even consider sharing a stage with Slash again is if he got down on his knees and made a grovelling public apology.

There is no way in hell that Slash would ever or SHOULD ever do that. Slash is doing very well on his own and doesn't need GnR to further his career. He also doesn't need the drama.

In an ideal world, if both men could sit down in a room together, iron out their differences, admit mistakes, apologise for things said/done that upset each of them then maybe things could be worked out. But Axl has built Slash up in his mind to be this monster (or "cancer"). With Axl being paranoid/manic depressive/bipolar these perceived (or sometimes genuine) grievances are magnified 100 fold in his mind, meaning that the only way a truce can be called is if Slash somehow apologises for things he doesn't need to apologise for. Not saying Slash is blameless in the break up of the old GnR, but Axl is probably the biggest reason they split up and Slash should not have to take all the blame. There is ego and pride on both sides, but there is also right and wrong.

Edited by Original GNR

Some good questions there carlos and good answers marc.

Marc, because Axl never promoted your book has this broken your relationship with him because of this alone? Also, have you not considered touring with new guns and making a book about the current band, would that not be in Axl's interest? RecklessRoad of new GNR would have been cool.

Similarly, would you not consider touring with Slash to make a new book on his touring now? You mentioned somewhere that Recklessroad was put out by a first time publisher and got more copies printed and sold, perhaps with Official backing from GNR or Slash a new book could make a better return in terms of sales?

Can you understand from Axl's point of view his hatred towards slash? If he is willing to give up on millions of $$ for a reunion, he must have some deep feelings, perhaps not promoting old guns in RecklessRoad was not meant as a personal jab at you because he wouldn't do it with anyone else?

Some good questions there carlos and good answers marc.

Marc, because Axl never promoted your book has this broken your relationship with him because of this alone? Also, have you not considered touring with new guns and making a book about the current band, would that not be in Axl's interest? RecklessRoad of new GNR would have been cool.

Similarly, would you not consider touring with Slash to make a new book on his touring now? You mentioned somewhere that Recklessroad was put out by a first time publisher and got more copies printed and sold, perhaps with Official backing from GNR or Slash a new book could make a better return in terms of sales?

Can you understand from Axl's point of view his hatred towards slash? If he is willing to give up on millions of $$ for a reunion, he must have some deep feelings, perhaps not promoting old guns in RecklessRoad was not meant as a personal jab at you because he wouldn't do it with anyone else?

First Off Axl does not like any press so a book about the new band will never happen while he is in this state of mind, I have to be near Canter's Deli to run it so I can't go on tour, I can't ever go on a vacation for more then 2 days and it has to be within driving distance for work incase I have to come back to fix something. Also Axl is working with other people like Del or who ever is shooting their photos. So if there was a book it would come them them. I also could not go on tour with Slash for the reason that I can't leave work. What I did back in the early 80's was just magic. I knew I was seeing something special and knew I had to grab it. It was very exciting at the time and even more exciting for me to show my work off to the fans.

I'm not mad at Axl because he no longer wants to talk to me. I'm Just upset that he didn't under stand the importance of what this book meant to me and the fans. I know he wouldn't get back together with Slash for all the money in the world but a friendship is worth more than all the money in the world. He just can't see it that way at this time. I know it would be hard for Axl to promote something that he no longer believes in but I wished he could at least understand where I was coming from and support me as a friend. I have always told Axl my true thoughts when he asked me for them and never told him only what he wanted to hear. That is something he may never find again.

Edited by recklessroad

I have always told Axl my true thoughts when he asked me for them and never told him only what he wanted to hear. That is something he may never find again.

Wow, great post, but this line in particular is pretty moving. Axl is such a confusing character. I know in 2001/2002 he was still intent on burying the old lineup and distancing himself, even changing the sound of the older songs to 'update' them and move them further from what the old band represented...but today, in 2012, the songs are played note-for-note like the originals, he's got guys who LOOK and sound like the old players, and the bulk of his playlist remains the older material. If he really wants absolutely no affiliation with the original group then I don't understand why he didn't promote the '01/'02 lineup. He basically committed PR suicide back then, and by the sounds of it, has remained angry since. But he really only has himself to blame as far as failing to promote his new group properly - we never even had an official band photo...

Sorry to ramble and I'm not trying to get your topic off track but I found your post to be very interesting, and a bit sad too. :(

First Off Axl does not like any press so a book about the new band will never happen while he is in this state of mind, I have to be near Canter's Deli to run it so I can't go on tour, I can't ever go on a vacation for more then 2 days and it has to be within driving distance for work incase I have to come back to fix something. Also Axl is working with other people like Del or who ever is shooting their photos. So if there was a book it would come them them. I also could not go on tour with Slash for the reason that I can't leave work. What I did back in the early 80's was just magic. I knew I was seeing something special and knew I had to grab it. It was very exciting at the time and even more exciting for me to show my work off to the fans.

I'm not mad at Axl because he no longer wants to talk to me. I'm Just upset that he didn't under stand the importance of what this book meant to me and the fans. I know he wouldn't get back together with Slash for all the money in the world but a friendship is worth more than all the money in the world. He just can't see it that way at this time. I know it would be hard for Axl to promote something that he no longer believes in but I wished he could at least understand where I was coming from and support me as a friend. I have always told Axl my true thoughts when he asked me for them and never told him only what he wanted to hear. That is something he may never find again.

Thanks for the reply, it is sad that you are not still in contact with Axl, he must have been a powerful friend, perhaps one day you might speak again. I'm sure the fans here would love to hear his thoughts on various subjects, and what has changed in his mind since 2008. He does seem a very private person.

Marc,

Does Axl surrond himself with yes men in general? Does he have anyone in his ear telling him he needs to take some responsibility for the split? Reading his forum rants it appears he think he is 100% in the right, even though it seems like he only communicated with the band through a third party and rarely showed of for rehearsal/studio time in the mid 90's.

Marc what's stopping you from calling Axl to try and settle your differences?

Also what made you not attend GNR's last show in at The Forum?

Probably the same thing that's stopping anybody else. Axl.

Someone really needs to lock Axl and Slash in a room until they sort out their shit. The way Axl thinks of him seems really unhealthy to me.

Axl has a problem and it is not Slash. He might think it is Slash but infact it sounds like it goes a lot deeper. I hope Slash never has to have contact with him again. Slash is sober and doing well contact with Axl could cause him to slide back down. JMO

If Slash were to have a relapse, it wouldn't be because of what anyone else did. We are all responsible for taking care of ourselves.

And too think, all's Axl would have to do is rename his band and wala, all the focus would be on his new band

Right because even though Slash and Duff have moved on to other projects, they are never asked about the old GN'R lineup reuniting :rofl-lol:

Ali

Edited by Ali

If Slash were to have a relapse, it wouldn't be because of what anyone else did. We are all responsible for taking care of ourselves.

Right because even though Slash and Duff have moved on to other projects, they are never asked about the old GN'R lineup reuniting :rofl-lol:

Ali

Slash will always be an addict, and of course Axl is not to blame for him abusing drugs and alcohol, but Slash has always stated he relapses when he is not working and has nothing to do so working with Axl might not be the best evironment for him to be in. He seems happy right now and is in complete control of his own destiny which seems to be the best for him.

And you are spot on that people will always ask all the ex AFD era members including Axl about a reunion so Axl calling his band GnR is moot IMHO.........

Ali

Slash will always be an addict, and of course Axl is not to blame for him abusing drugs and alcohol, but Slash has always stated he relapses when he is not working and has nothing to do so working with Axl might not be the best evironment for him to be in. He seems happy right now and is in complete control of his own destiny which seems to be the best for him.

And you are spot on that people will always ask all the ex AFD era members including Axl about a reunion so Axl calling his band GnR is moot IMHO.........

Right on as usual CR!

If someone relapses, it is because they choose to do so. There are other ways to fill your time besides doing drugs, so boredom - irrespective of the underlying reasons - is not the reason for drug use and abuse :shrugs:

Ali

If someone relapses, it is because they choose to do so. There are other ways to fill your time besides doing drugs, so boredom - irrespective of the underlying reasons - is not the reason for drug use and abuse :shrugs:

Ali

Sure Ali but Slash has stated making and playing music is his way of keeping active and not risking a relapse...he knows himself and if he is not active in music he has stated it puts him at risk to relapse so working with Axl, where there would be long periods of inactivity, most likley would not be a good environment for Slash. That is not Axl's fault just a reality............

In any case I am not blaming Slash's addictions on Axl, and from his interviews neither does Slash, so I guess I don't understand why you are being so defensive...........Axl and Slash seem to have found what makes them happy and it is different for each of them so what's the problem?

I am trying to avoid getting involved in any more Axl V.s Slash pissing matches and this really is not the place for debates as it is to ask Marc questions so I don't want to clutter the threads...

IMHO this is the best subforum here and I am really enjoying Marc's honesty and taking the time to chat with us.......

Edited by classicrawker