Post Syd Barrett Pink Floyd > Syd Barrett Pink Floyd

Vincent Vega

Anyone agree that Pink Floyd was MUCH better after Syd Barrett was fired than before? I tend to think that his work with the band is very generic psychedelic rock...If I wanna hear psychedelic rock, good psychedelic rock, I'd listen to The Doors...Syd Barrett IMO was a totally overrated musician and the rest of Pink Floyd carried him, and they made their best records (Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall) without him as an albatross.

People didn't really make a big deal about Syd until the 1980s, when Michael Stipe mentioned being a fan of early Pink Floyd, then Robyn Hitchcock & Flaming Lips were bringing a little of his style into their music.

PF developed and evolved in 68-71, some of it's laughably bad, too, but after "Meddle", they started developing as writers and musicians.

The Doors weren't "space rock" the way Pink Floyd were. They can be credited or blamed for new age music, German "Kraut Rock", even ambient music, and surround sound. Not a lot of people were toying with that at concerts, now it's no big deal. No one's really sure who did the liquid light shows first, prob. San Fran.

If Syd hadn't stopped recording music, odds are he would've still worked on paintings, and maybe been a multimedia artist. I think he became disinterested in it anyway, and didn't like the business end of music except for the money that came in. But you know how Axl doesn't deal with demands being made, but he fights back, Syd kind of crawled in his shell and never came back out.

As far as "overrated", he just had a cult following with a few famous names, and never really took things to the next level. It's more of a tragedy than anything. 21 and done.

That's because David Gilmour & Roger Waters > Syd Barrett. It's obvious. Syd Barrett is just an alternative psychodelic underground hero, although he made some good songs.

Yeah, Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets just aren't in the same league as Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, or The Wall. That's really when Pink Floyd came into their own, never really understood the fascination with Syd Barrett as a "genius" or whatever but he certainly inspired the band to do some of their best work.

That's because David Gilmour & Roger Waters > Syd Barrett. It's obvious. Syd Barrett is just an alternative psychodelic underground hero, although he made some good songs.

Syd Barret has cult status. David Gilmous Pink Floyd is way too mainstream

Syd Barret has cult status. David Gilmous Pink Floyd is way too mainstream

I know, but I really don't care about cult status anyway. I like some of Syd songs (like Lucifer Sam, Arnold Layne, and See Emilly Play), but it's nothing compared to a song like Dogs, Time, Comfortably Numb, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Echoes, etc. EDIT: Or to some beautiful songs like Fat Old Sun and Green is the Colour.

Edited by GHS

Syd Barrett is like the Ole Beitch or whatever the fuck that Dutch guy's name was in first-two-months Gn'R. Nobody gives a fuck. I think it's basically a bunch of Floyd snobs that is the reason for this guy's name to even being out there talked about.

Without Dark Side, Animals, Wish you Were Here, and The Wall, nobody gives a shit about Pink Floyd. That's their contribution to music. Not saying there was no good stuff sprinkled in amongst the rest, just saying those four albums are the only thing that really mattered. And certainly nobody cares about fucking I've got a bike you can ride it if you like it's got a basket a bell that rings and things that make it look good I'd give it to you if I could but I borrowed it.

Syd Barrett is like the Ole Beitch or whatever the fuck that Dutch guy's name was in first-two-months Gn'R. Nobody gives a fuck. I think it's basically a bunch of Floyd snobs that is the reason for this guy's name to even being out there talked about.

Without Dark Side, Animals, Wish you Were Here, and The Wall, nobody gives a shit about Pink Floyd. That's their contribution to music. Not saying there was no good stuff sprinkled in amongst the rest, just saying those four albums are the only thing that really mattered. And certainly nobody cares about fucking I've got a bike you can ride it if you like it's got a basket a bell that rings and things that make it look good I'd give it to you if I could but I borrowed it.

Syd Barrett wrote and recorded music. He was very influential, with documented proof, in Pink Floyd. He was Pink Floyd. Syd created the name and everything. He was important whether you like it or not.

Syd Barrett wrote and recorded music. He was very influential, with documented proof, in Pink Floyd. He was Pink Floyd. Syd created the name and everything. He was important whether you like it or not.

Like Tracii Guns.

I think it's basically a bunch of Floyd snobs that is the reason for this guy's name to even being out there talked about.

Holy God that's a horrible sentence. Not sure how the hell I wrote something like that. Let me try and fix it.

If not for Floyd snobs, nobody would even be talking about Syd anymore. There.

I think it's basically a bunch of Floyd snobs that is the reason for this guy's name to even being out there talked about.

Holy God that's a horrible sentence. Not sure how the hell I wrote something like that. Let me try and fix it.

:rolleyes:

They must have had some sort of following otherwise they wouldn't have had record deals or tours. I'm sure some people today would be talking about them, even the most obscure of bands in history get some spotlight today from genre fans due to the internet, but it would be a very narrow niche. If they had disbanded then it would be more likely they'd get some attention as the band Roger or Dave was in before making it big with some other band - with talent like theirs I am sure they both would've become stars anyway.

Personally, I don't like that era of Pink Floyd at all. I don't like the genre overall.

Arnold is totally right here. He actually was Pink Floyd. He was the main writter (composed almost every song on the first album), the band sounded like him, he gave a name to the band, he led the band, he was an inspiration as a writter to Roger Waters in the first years, etc., like him or not.

Agreed, they weren't even really that good until Meddle.

the meddle was when they started getting good, the syd barrett years are laughably bad outside maybe 1 or 2 songs(and im being generous)

syd gets praised because he was another drug addict who the media tends to fall in love with

Agreed, they weren't even really that good until Meddle.

the meddle was when they started getting good, the syd barrett years are laughably bad outside maybe 1 or 2 songs(and im being generous)

syd gets praised because he was another drug addict who the media tends to fall in love with

I guess I agree 100% with you. People just adore some weirdos. "Oh, it's so cool, Syd Barrett consumed more LSD and ate more mushrooms than an entire little country!!! He's a genius!"