Recommend me some dark and depressing movies

Randy Lahey

Candy - An indie Heath Ledger did after Brokeback Mountain. He and Abbie Cornish play young heroin addicts who fall in love as addiction rips their lives apart. Depressing as shit, but still awesome. Better drug movie than that dumb ass Requiem for a Dream.

I disagree. Ellen Burstyn's performance puts Requiem for a Dream well above Candy.

Mysterious Skin is another great dark and depressing movie that features Joseph Gordon-Levitt's best performance to date.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Guest Len B'stard
absolutely anything by Bergman, Bela Tarr and Von Trier etc.

You're such a fuckin' pleb Angie, they ain't depressing, they just got a brain behind em, a lot of Bela Tarr's work (look at me telling you how it is when you was the one who told me to watch his shit :lol:) is like...comedy really, or has an undercurrent of comedy to it, they're movies with strong subtexts, the point to em is often the least...obvious thingie. Least thats how i see it.

The Night Porter, Lilja 4-Ever, Chinatown, Night and Fog, River's Edge... absolutely anything by Bergman, Bela Tarr and Von Trier etc.

The Virgin Spring is one to watch. Happens to be Wes Craven's inspiration behind Last House on the Left too. :) LHOTL is pretty grim too, or it would be were it not for the comedy coppers which kinda fucks with the tone of the whole thing.

Edited by Dazey

You're such a fuckin' pleb Angie, they ain't depressing, they just got a brain behind em, a lot of Bela Tarr's work (look at me telling you how it is when you was the one who told me to watch his shit :lol:) is like...comedy really, or has an undercurrent of comedy to it, they're movies with strong subtexts, the point to em is often the least...obvious thingie. Least thats how i see it.

There is comedy in Tarr's work, which doesn't make his stuff any less bleak. :rolleyes:

Guest Len B'stard

There is comedy in Tarr's work, which doesn't make his stuff any less bleak. :rolleyes:

It gets pretty intense at times but never depressing. Maybe you got a point with the earlier ones.