Slash implies that he might be willing to work with Axl again, but it won't be about the money.

BBA

When you see a top hat, three images typically come to mind -- W.C. Fields, Fred Astaire and Slash. The ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist has made a brand for himself outside of being Axl Rose's old sidekick.

The ax master -- born Saul Hudson -- recently released his second studio album, "Apocalyptic Love"; formed his own band; and is in the midst of an international tour.

He recently chatted about the 25th anniversary of "Appetite for Destruction," working sober and why he clings to his top hat.

Q There was a lot of drama surrounding your Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction -- whether Axl Rose would show. Was that a bizarre experience?

A Given the history of the band, it really doesn't seem that bizarre. Originally I didn't want to deal with it. It was a big, unanswered question up until the eleventh hour. We made do with what we had, and it turned out to be a really cool experience.

Q "Appetite for Destruction" is 25 years old. Does that blow your mind?

A It doesn't seem like that long ago. The concept of a quarter of a century is crazy. It's become a very iconic record, and I'm proud of that. One of the most significant things about it is being considered a must-have for everybody's rock 'n' roll collection.

Q What kind of impact did your sobriety have on your creativity?

A Whenever you give up one vice, you tend to pick up another one. Fortunately for me, I've delved into playing and writing more than I ever did.

Q Do promoters constantly push you for a Guns N' Roses reunion?

A I think that time is sort of passed at this point, but there was a period where big wads of cash were shaking in our direction. I think the concept of getting the band back together based on money is not going to happen. It's kind of doubtful.

Q Is your top hat something you enjoy wearing, or do you think people just expect it?

A I was very shy going onstage in front of people. I always kept my eyes closed. When the hat came along, I felt comfortable in it, and that's still the case.

http://www.goerie.com/article/20120808/ENTERTAINMENT0301/308089980/Slash-has-doubts-about-Guns-N'-Roses-reunion

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does that imply anything about being willing to work with Axl again?

" I think the concept of getting the band back together based on money is not going to happen."

He says it won't happen "based on money". He doesn't say it won't happen otherwise.

How does that imply anything about being willing to work with Axl again?

" I think the concept of getting the band back together based on money is not going to happen."

He says it won't happen "based on money". He doesn't say it won't happen otherwise.

Still a big stretch being made....but OK.

No surprise here as Slash is willing to play with just about anyone these days. Axl has already said what it would take for him to consider a reunion in the HOF statement. Slash needs to come out and publicly apologise for all the lies he spoke after the breakup and set the record straight. If not he'll have to settle for guest spots with pop and rap stars at award shows.

It's not like Axl can't get Slash's number and just talk to him about getting together to talk. Most of these post Rock Hall interviews were around the time the RRHOF had just happened, and Slash was still gearing up to promote his new CD. If people want to ask him about Axl in the past, he'll answer, but I think when he's put the book out about that time in his life, is there really anything else to say?

If Axl made the call to him to bring his guitar over, he'd do it in a heartbeat, if it was about a tour or recording new music, it would be all about lawyers, Team Brazil, Perla, and that would completely dick it up.

They can always call the Troubadour and book a private gig for friends if they wanted to play together again.

To decrease the discrepancy between the title and the content I will add some quotes from Slash that ACTUALLY say he is willing to work with Axl again:

If Axl was to break down and finally realize what the meat and potatoes of Guns N' Roses always has been, I'm only a phone call away [Axe-Man Slash Keeps Door Open To Guns N' Roses, Music News Of The World, February 1999]

For the fans and for the excitement of the whole thing, if it was the original band and we all had some sort of meeting of the minds and we were going to do one show and schedules permitting . . . you know, I'll be around. It's not like I'm going anywhere. But I don't have time to wait around for it for any reason other than just doing it for fun [Rolling Stone magazine, October 2000]

[...] I would like those kids to see a decent version of Guns. If it was the original line-up it would be great. But I won't do it if it's going to be Axl and his merry men going on stage three hours late. Straighten that one out then call me. No cancelled dates. No sitting in one airport in one city when you're supposed to be on-stage in another [The Truth About His Past, Present and Future, Mojo, June 2008]

[A reunion would] be cool. But we'd have to do things way differently than we did in '91, '92, '93 and whatever... And I don't think that's changeable. That whole production would have to tighten up and be like a real working band, and I don't think that's salvageable [New York's Q104.3, November 2010]

Of course Axl's reply to all this is:

Not in this life time [Comment to TMZ paparazzi, April, 2012]

Edited by SoulMonster

The op should take into account the past 10 interviews that Slash has given in the last few months. When asked about a reunion he says it is not going to happen. All he is saying here is no matter what the amount of money offered it still won't happen.

The band cannot reunite under the current conditions. Even if Axl and Slash could talk and things were on better terms. The minute Slash walks out on stage with Guns he is working for Axl and that will not happen.

I thought Smash said he was finally moving on from GNR...yet he is still dwelling :rolleyes:

Attention is still needed...."look at me look at me"

I know, crazy eh? All he has done for the last 20 years is hide like a hermit version of chicken little in his Malibu home and managed to butcher the half-arsed release of one alum recorded with a bunch of misfits coupled with a grossly mismanaged tour.

Oh wait, you were talking about Slash.

I thought Smash said he was finally moving on from GNR...yet he is still dwelling :rolleyes:

Attention is still needed...."look at me look at me"

I know, crazy eh? All he has done for the last 20 years is hide like a hermit version of chicken little in his Malibu home and managed to butcher the half-arsed release of one alum recorded with a bunch of misfits coupled with a grossly mismanaged tour.

Oh wait, you were talking about Slash.

:takethat::takethat: