Opera music

Georgy Zhukov

Guest Len B'stard

I know literally nothing about Opera, which makes it very intriguing for me, i'd like to know about em, i'd like to go to one if i could but i don't suppose they're for my sort, wouldn't know where to start.

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah i figure the best way is to just roll up and see which end is up, thanks man, i might just do that :)

I'll take y' to one sweetums! :wub:

Wear a tux, bring me a corsage and you're on! :lol:

Yeah i figure the best way is to just roll up and see which end is up, thanks man, i might just do that :)

I'll take y' to one sweetums! :wub:

Wear a tux, bring me a corsage and you're on! :lol:

How about I buy that one off ebay? Y'know the one with the snappy looking hat and jack boots? :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah i figure the best way is to just roll up and see which end is up, thanks man, i might just do that

I'll take y' to one sweetums!

Wear a tux, bring me a corsage and you're on!

How about I buy that one off ebay? Y'know the one with the snappy looking hat and jack boots?

No, it's gotta be something you can get your clammy white hand up during the intermission :rofl-lol:

Can I come too? I actually really like opera. My mum is into it and we go and see plenty. I love Mozart the most. He's the man for me, but some Puccini operas are good too. My favourite is Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro. The music is gorgeous (not too heavy) and the theme is all about cheating, philandering husbands and wives. Good for a laugh. It is actually a comedy too, so it's not all boring gloom and doom which other operas can be. Mozart was a cheeky little bugger, but his music shows a man who understood humanity probably better than anyone. I'd have liked to have known him in real life.

If you haven't already seen the film, Amadeus by Milos Forman, see it. It tells the story of his life and genius and you get to hear plenty of the music too. It's one of my favourites! Lenny, I forgot to include that on my favourite films list the other day.

Edited by Redhead74

Someone who was very important to me in my life died a couple months ago, and he was probably one of the most well-educated men about opera that you'd ever meet. He looked like a total slob, and lived around the poverty line, but he grew up with opera, and when he died, he donated his $40,000 opera collection to the local NPR radio station. They were practically jizzing their pants over it because he had such rare and wide-ranging stuff, and he knew each and every one of those operas inside and out. I never knew it because he never told any of us about it, but he also used to play in the Philadelphia Philharmonic. You'd never know any of this looking at him because he was such salt of the earth.

Someone who was very important to me in my life died a couple months ago, and he was probably one of the most well-educated men about opera that you'd ever meet. He looked like a total slob, and lived around the poverty line, but he grew up with opera, and when he died, he donated his $40,000 opera collection to the local NPR radio station. They were practically jizzing their pants over it because he had such rare and wide-ranging stuff, and he knew each and every one of those operas inside and out. I never knew it because he never told any of us about it, but he also used to play in the Philadelphia Philharmonic. You'd never know any of this looking at him because he was such salt of the earth.

Wow, that's amazing! I tried playing the violin for a few years and it was the hardest bloody thing I've ever done. I bow down to anyone who has the capacity to play in an orchestra of any kind. It would be an amazing job. He must have been a pretty smart guy because opera can be quite hard going and to understand it to that level takes more than average intelligence. Goes to show, you can never judge a person by their outward appearance. Opera people are stereotypically snobby toffs but art has a way of reaching everyone when it's good I reckon. :)

He was seemingly beyond intelligent, but his massive intelligence was never the focus of the man. He had a form of humility that was so refined, because those who are giving an effort to be humble draw attention to themselves in their humility, which is kind of the irony of it, but those who are truly humble are never the center of anything, but kind of have their qualities and influence ever-present just the same. He was the type of person that most people, if they are lucky, only ever meet once in their lives.

He was seemingly beyond intelligent, but his massive intelligence was never the focus of the man. He had a form of humility that was so refined, because those who are giving an effort to be humble draw attention to themselves in their humility, which is kind of the irony of it, but those who are truly humble are never the center of anything, but kind of have their qualities and influence ever-present just the same. He was the type of person that most people, if they are lucky, only ever meet once in their lives.

Yeah, that's quite profound isn't it? You are lucky to have known someone like that. They really are rare. It's amazing how the people who have the highest qualities that man could ever have (like humility and generosity) in the purest form, are never the ones to shout it out or show off. They always sit quietly in the background and let others shine, while they just be. That all might sound real corny but I really believe it. They are really strong people who have been able to resist the temptations for attention and applause, etc. It shows great strength of character and a complete lack of insecurity.

I don't know if you ever listen to classical music, but if you can search out either of these two Mozart pieces, do so. I think they express in musical form the humility of these kinds of people far better than I could ever put into words.

Clarinet concerto in A - adagio.

Piano concerto #23 - adagio.

Mozart was the master of expressing these things. I would probably guess that these pieces would have been liked by this person you had the fortune to know. :)

I did a minor study on Rossini's The Barber of Seville in music history a couple of years ago. I've never really listened to much opera but I loved the music from this. Other than that, I only know some odds and ends of opera pieces, one of the major ones being Mozart's Don Giovanni. It's an acquired taste but it helps understanding the stories and having a visual. I wouldn't necessarily just buy a CD of it and listen to it.

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah, that's quite profound isn't it? You are lucky to have known someone like that. They really are rare. It's amazing how the people who have the highest qualities that man could ever have (like humility and generosity) in the purest form, are never the ones to shout it out or show off. They always sit quietly in the background and let others shine, while they just be. That all might sound real corny but I really believe it. They are really strong people who have been able to resist the temptations for attention and applause, etc. It shows great strength of character and a complete lack of insecurity.

I don't know if you ever listen to classical music, but if you can search out either of these two Mozart pieces, do so. I think they express in musical form the humility of these kinds of people far better than I could ever put into words.

Mozart was the master of expressing these things. I would probably guess that these pieces would have been liked by this person you had the fortune to know. :)

Is that the piano thingie you mentioned? Sounds really nice :)

And JB, so you gotta see the Opera to really get the music?

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

It is more than fat ladies in Viking hates singing. Everyone should got to the opera at least once.

Excuse my total fuckin' ignorance here, don't laugh but...is the only way to go see Opera live? Or can you watch like, films of it?

Guest Len B'stard

They have filmed performances, especially when the singer is famous like Pavoratti. The name alone can sell out shows so there would be a demand to see it on TV or video.

Cool man, can you reccomend me one? Y'know, like, whatevers the dogs bollocks of Operas, one that i could get hold of a copy of, a film i mean :)

You live in the U.K. right? London should have shows. I would go to the Metropolitan since I live near NYC. I myself have only seen videos. I believe YouTube has Pavoratti in full performances. I Pagliacci is always a favorite. The sad crying clown guy.

Is that the piano thingie you mentioned? Sounds really nice :)

And JB, so you gotta see the Opera to really get the music?

Yep, that's the one. Thanks for that, YOU DA BEST!

My heart literally skipped a bit and I get butterflies in my stomach at the beginning of that. If anyone says that is shit, they don't know what life is and they haven't laughed or cried.

Edited by Redhead74

Guest Len B'stard

One thing i never understood, based on my complete ignorance, is like...when you have like a piece of classical music, which one is considered the definitive version? Like for instance, The Beatles made Sgt Peppers, its there, it's in the stores and anything outside of that is someone covering Sgt Peppers, correct? How does it work with classical music cuz like, to my understanding they're just pieces of music that many many many different artists musicians orchestras have a go at so like...y'know, which one is the definitive one? Or does it not work like that?

One thing i never understood, based on my complete ignorance, is like...when you have like a piece of classical music, which one is considered the definitive version? Like for instance, The Beatles made Sgt Peppers, its there, it's in the stores and anything outside of that is someone covering Sgt Peppers, correct? How does it work with classical music cuz like, to my understanding they're just pieces of music that many many many different artists musicians orchestras have a go at so like...y'know, which one is the definitive one? Or does it not work like that?

Yeah this.