The leftover songs from the CD era have to be poor

TyRod Tulip

To the creator of this thread, this is how you are wrong.

You logic would make total sense if we were talking about the average band/artist, however we are not. See where im going with this?

preach it brother. feelin' the holy ghost over here.

Chinese Democracy's tracklist was determined by the leaks. The vast majority of those songs had already leaked, so they just released'em officially.

I thought that was pretty obvious to everyone...

No offense to you man, but you're talking out of your ass. We don't know how it was determined. How is it obvious?

There is no proof the tracklist was affected by the leaks. None at all.

We've heard the reports that GNR had 40-plus completed songs to choose from when they selected songs for CD. Doesn't it stand to reason that the best 14 we're selected? Axl wouldn't have wanted to hold back any songs that would have helped prove the naysayers wrong. Right? I mean does anyone think they picked anything but the best 14?

Given that logic (and please explain where that logic may be wrong), I'd say the leftovers are probably pretty poor. That being said, why does anyone prefer to hear them over new songs composed by the currently band? This is something I've never been able to figure out.

Axl was trying to fight the release of chinese democracy altogether.

the best 14 definately were NOT selected, the ones selected were the ones that were demos/in-production versions on the CD's that Axl let slip, one in the stripclub, the Skwerl tape etc. and of course the ones that had already been showcased live, minus silkworms that got too much negative response.

we have no knowledge as to the general quality, style or what have you, of the leftovers.

which is why they are so interesting.

People!! Axl said in the chats CD had a more GnR-friendly style and that CD II would be a lot more "electronica with full guitars", his words not mine. He said if he released CDII first, it'd be a much bigger shock as GnR fans would be used to that type of music and CD was like halfway there.

Edited by The Only Cosmonaut

This is like saying it stands to reason that all of the best songs from the UYI sessions ended up on UYI I. We all know that isn't the case.

Now before some genius chimes in that it's not the same, those albums were released on the same day, blah blah blah, you have to remember that the record business is far different now than it was back then, and the record label politics when it came to getting CD released were incredibly convoluted.

We've heard the reports that GNR had 40-plus completed songs to choose from when they selected songs for CD. Doesn't it stand to reason that the best 14 we're selected? Axl wouldn't have wanted to hold back any songs that would have helped prove the naysayers wrong. Right? I mean does anyone think they picked anything but the best 14?

Given that logic (and please explain where that logic may be wrong), I'd say the leftovers are probably pretty poor. That being said, why does anyone prefer to hear them over new songs composed by the currently band? This is something I've never been able to figure out.

From what I read, it seems like most of the songs haven't had words put to them. I don't think he ever stopped working on it, but after 2009, getting a band together to tour was the bigger priority.

This is like saying it stands to reason that all of the best songs from the UYI sessions ended up on UYI I. We all know that isn't the case.

Now before some genius chimes in that it's not the same, those albums were released on the same day, blah blah blah, you have to remember that the record business is far different now than it was back then, and the record label politics when it came to getting CD released were incredibly convoluted.

I don't think they need a record company to put the next album out. Axl just needs to do more interviews and interact with fans a little more. Ustream is a no brainer for that. If he's feeling in a good mood after a show and kicking back in his dressing room before doing his vocal exercises, why not come on for 15 minutes? He just needs someone moderating questions, but some Ustreams are just video without interacting.

I don't think they need a record company to put the next album out. Axl just needs to do more interviews and interact with fans a little more. Ustream is a no brainer for that. If he's feeling in a good mood after a show and kicking back in his dressing room before doing his vocal exercises, why not come on for 15 minutes? He just needs someone moderating questions, but some Ustreams are just video without interacting.

They need to "play ball" with the record company if they are contractually obligated to release the album through Universal and/or if Universal owns the rights to some or all of the recordings that they want to release

Based on what he said following CD's release, Axl's fears about the way the record label would handle the release and promotion were pretty well founded; the album artwork was botched and any promotional support whatsoever ceased the moment the album went on sale. Unfortunately I think he's looking for certain assurances from the label in terms of marketing but that's just not how it works nowadays. The record labels are all broke and they have no interest in pushing established artists; what marketing budgets they do still have are almost exclusively devoted to newer acts. GnR needs to be willing to think outside the box with some viral and web-based marketing to promote their album; as Billy Corgan recently said, the labels have no money so they expect they now expect the artists to self-promote a lot more. For someone like Axl who at one point had the label funding multi-million dollar videos and had one of the largest marketing/promotion campaigns ever behind the UYI albums, it's probably a bitter pill to swallow when the label expects him to go gladhand with lame talk show hosts and promote his album on Twitter, Facebook and Youtube. But that's the state of the industry at this poiint

YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG MY FRIEND. Axl always had de vision of a trilogy for this. The songs for the first album were chosen because it was the

pack they felt it was tight and firm. The album had a logic chronology in the style. Next album I can tell you I will surprise you as much as THE FIRST TIME

you listened to Chinese or Better. Do you remember when they were leaked? RICHARD FORTUS said CHINESES is his fav song on the album and theres another

one that comes with the sequel. SEVEN and JACKIE CHAN will blow a lot of NUGNR heads aways. They ´re just amazing. Theres a loooooot of good stuff for us

waiting to smash our universe. BE PATIENT!! Next songs are way better than the Chinese.

I don't think so, given that Axl didn't want to release This I love, and it took Robin to convince him.

Remember that: Axl almost bought the November Rain video from all the rest of the old band meaning not to release it, and keep it hidden with him.

So I think the leftovers might be the best part of the CD era.