Bands That You Wish Never Broke Up

Jabberwocky

It's tempting to list every band I love that broke up. But then again... let's be realistic. For bands like The Beatles or Pink Floyd.... Yes they broke up. But the body of work they produced was SO good and SO big and after some of their absolute masterpieces you could ask yourself what else is there to do or reach? Ofcourse I love them, but I can live with the fact they produced what they produced and I can have peace with that.

The same, but to a slightly lesser extent might go for bands like Creedence Clearwater Revival or Dire Straits.

One of the few bands that truly makes me think "Imagine what could have been if they'd worked it out" is, cliche as it might be, Guns n' Roses.

I think Oasis also still had more left in them. Though they did produce a great body of work.

The Police

Dire Straits

I love Dire Straits to bits, but if they hadn't broken up then Mark Knopfler might not have ventured into the wonderful world of traditional Scots music and might not have made "Get Lucky" which is my favourite thing he's ever done...

I disagree. I generally like his post Dire Straits music but there's very little of it that I love. With the band (even if some of the guys are still there) he challenged himself more, with his solo stuff it sounds like he took an early retirement and he's just talking it easy. I understand it from his point of view, but I would have liked to hear more of Love Over Gold and Brothers In Arms, even On Every Street.

That said, I do like Get Lucky too, the title track is one of my MK favorites (and that is including Dire Straits).

The title track is beautiful, both in its message and its composition... McGoldrick's low whistle solo is just exquisite, my favourite Celtic instrument. I really love Border Reiver, Before Gas and TV and Piper to the End as well, and I find So Far From the Clyde a hugely moving listen; I imagine it'll be much more emotional when I move away from Scotland in a couple of weeks time...

Revenge-era KISS. Now that the band is actively releasing new music again we almost have that (with Tommy instead of Bruce) but I would have loved to have seen Bruce live with the band. The set lists on the Revenge tour were outstanding, and even though Bruce never played Ace's solos note for note, he always went for something that fit the songs without taking away from them. In a perfect KISS world they would have got Bruce and Eric back after the reunion, dropped the make-up, and then continued on from there. Sure, they'd probably be playing smaller venues, but it would have been pretty awesome I bet.

The Police

Dire Straits

I love Dire Straits to bits, but if they hadn't broken up then Mark Knopfler might not have ventured into the wonderful world of traditional Scots music and might not have made "Get Lucky" which is my favourite thing he's ever done...

I disagree. I generally like his post Dire Straits music but there's very little of it that I love. With the band (even if some of the guys are still there) he challenged himself more, with his solo stuff it sounds like he took an early retirement and he's just talking it easy. I understand it from his point of view, but I would have liked to hear more of Love Over Gold and Brothers In Arms, even On Every Street.

That said, I do like Get Lucky too, the title track is one of my MK favorites (and that is including Dire Straits).

The title track is beautiful, both in its message and its composition... McGoldrick's low whistle solo is just exquisite, my favourite Celtic instrument. I really love Border Reiver, Before Gas and TV and Piper to the End as well, and I find So Far From the Clyde a hugely moving listen; I imagine it'll be much more emotional when I move away from Scotland in a couple of weeks time...

Uni? I vaguely remember you saying something about an MSc.

The Police

Dire Straits

Aye man, just moving to the North of England, not too far away... but there's always something strange about being a Scot in England.

The Police

Dire Straits

Aye man, just moving to the North of England, not too far away... but there's always something strange about being a Scot in England.

Hence why there was a wall built to keep you out!

The Police

Dire Straits

Hence why there was a wall built to keep you out!

When I bring my one man invasion force to your capital, you'll be the first to know ;). We can meet on Tower Bridger on horseback... And then go for a pint.