Alice Cooper's "Raise The Dead" Tour 2012/2013

Powerage5

Alice used pyro's!!!??? He never was into doing that. I thought he was supposed to do a new execution for this tour. And he has done a few tours without the execution.

Okay, my bad...I wasn't as positive on the execution aspect, but it is indeed the first tour with pyro, correct? It's pretty minimal, just some sparks falling from the lighting rig during Hello, Hooray, an "explosion" during Frankenstein, and some bangs at the end of Poison. Still...very cool!

Regarding the supposed new execution, one was promised. But we were also promised a whole segment of WTMN/W2MN songs, of which only 2 from each album were present in the setlist. This tour was also built up to be pretty theatrical, and in reality it is almost totally devoid of theatrics. With that said, I'll jump into my review...

The venue is Alice's regular Western NY place, and it holds about 600 people, set up like a nightclub. Our table was the one most stage-right, near Ryan's mic, and we had the front seats at our table. We had some other cool people at our table; out of 8 of us 5 had seen Alice at least 15-20 times (We held the record still with last night being 27). So it was very cool to see the opening night surrounded by other die-hard fans. Show started a couple minutes after 8, no opener. The new intro tape is a portion of The Underture. As usual, Alice had a banner up in front of the stage that was pulled down at the start of the gig. The stage set up is essentially a re-decorated No More Mr. Nice Guy layout with the risers all over. The theme of it is sort of a castle I think - the backdrops throughout the show were stone walls, arches, etc. There were wrought-iron fences around all the risers too. Hello Hooray started, and I was giddy as all hell - as far as songs that could realistically be played live this was the song I've wanted to hear more than anything, and it's already trumped The Black Widow as my favorite Alice Cooper opening track! They played more of it than in '03 or whenever it was last played - not quite the full song but it was the same amount played on the Billion Dollar Babies tour I believe. It segued directly into House Of Fire, which was another huge surprise. I've never really cared for anything off of Trash, but this one is a lot better live, it's got a very cool groove to it. Nice Guy and Eighteen were up next, nothing real noteworthy here, Alice had the cane, crutch, etc. - the usual props. Most of this first "act" of the show was done in a red and black striped tuxedo, looked really sharp.

I'll Bite Your Face Off was the first Nightmare song of the set, and was great as always. This is definitely one of Orianthi's moments to shine; the interplay between her and Alice really makes the song. Be My Lover was a great classic to hear again after being absent for a few years. The current band nails this one, it's a bit heavier than ever before but it sounds great. Billion Dollar Babies was the same as always. Take that how you want it, I'm personally bored to death of it (Though we did get a few more Alice dollars). The Congregation followed up, and as I said in a previous post it really comes alive in a live setting. I didn't like the production of W2MN at all, but all 3 songs played live so far have been great. The Congregation segued directly into Hey Stoopid, which I was pleasantly surprised to see carry over from the last tour. One of my favorite Alice songs to see live, so no complaints there. Dirty Diamonds made it's return to the set next, with Alice throwing out the beaded necklaces as usual. After the guitar solos Glen went into his drum solo, followed by Chuck doing a short bass solo before the band came back on to finish the song together.

The backdrop dropped to reveal a different, but similar backdrop, apparently cuing the beginning of the second "act" (I say act in parenthesis because there was really nothing other than backdrop changes to signify the difference in segments of the show, despite what was promised in the press release over the summer). Welcome To My Nightmare opened the next segment, and saw Alice in a new overcoat and top hat covered in spider webs, dirt, etc. It was the normal shortened live version. Ballad Of Dwight Fry was next and another song I was glad to see return to the setlist. Alice in the straightjacket as usual. Go To Hell saw Alice break out a full size whip once again. As with Hey Stoopid, I was really glad to see Brutal Planet carry over from the NMMNG tour, great live song! Feed My Frankenstein featured the only small bit of theatrics in the whole show. It was pretty similar to the last tour with Alice and Egor, the machine blowing up, and FrankenAlice coming on at the end of the song. The one noticeable difference is Alice straps himself into the machine on this tour, and there is a trap door in it that he disappears through.

After another backdrop change and a short pre-recorded spoken word thing from Alice about how the 70's were hard on his friends, the third act and "Raise The Dead" segment of the show started. Homage was paid to Jim Morrison first with Break On Through and Back Door Man. A few points about this segment: first off, the energy from the crowd hit a brick wall. No one seemed to dig the covers and very few people in what was an energetic crowd were even standing by any more by Back Door Man. Second, the band had no energy through this segment. They all stood center stage in a huddle and didn't hardly move at all. Incredibly boring to watch. But the songs did sound good. John Lennon was up next, with Revolution. Last night was the first ever public performance of it, and it was a great one for Alice to do! I completely expected Fire to be the Hendrix tribute since Alice has done it before (And I've been lucky enough to see 2 of the roughly 15 ever performances of it live!), but they surprised me with Foxy Lady. My big gripe with this one is Tommy and Ryan didn't play it at all, Ori was the only guitarist on it. And finally they paid tribute to Keith Moon with I Can See For Miles and My Generation. Both were great, and while I was pretty sure My Generation would get played given that Alice has done it before, I Can See For Miles really surprised me! Following My Generation, the band returned to "character" and did Poison to close the main set. The encore was School's Out with all the usual confetti, balloons, etc. The confetti cannons were aimed a little low last night and when combined with a low stage to begin with, the cardboard covering the cannon nailed my mom right in the eye when it went off, she already had a wicked bruise all around it right when the gig was over! They're still doing Another Brick In The Wall in the middle of School's Out.

I've got really mixed feelings to be honest. This tour has been hyped up to be such a special show, and it really falls short in every way imaginable. The setlist is a mix of songs that have been played to death and rarities, with a huge dose of covers. I really see no reason there had to be 6 covers (Especially when you consider that Hello Hooray is also a cover), one for each of the dead rockers would have sufficed. In terms of theatrics, it was the weakest show I've seen yet, so that was a huge letdown. I really enjoyed seeing the opening night, and it was really nice to have some big surprises, but this show should have been so much more than it is after all the hype surrounding it.

I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

First performance of House Of Fire since 1990

Pretty sure it got played once or twice in the past few years (in Greece I think).

I was a bit gutted to be missing this (no shows in the north west of the UK) but now I've seen the setlist I'm not too bothered.

First performance of House Of Fire since 1990

Pretty sure it got played once or twice in the past few years (in Greece I think).

I was a bit gutted to be missing this (no shows in the north west of the UK) but now I've seen the setlist I'm not too bothered.

You're right, it was apparently just played once since, in Cyprus in 2009. I'd assumed it hadn't been played since 1990 since Alice doesn't ever really do one-off songs in his setlists.

In my opinion, Alice is just really starting to show his age and sort of go through the motions. The last AMAZING show I saw him do was probably in 2007 and then one really good one in 09 and it seems it has become lower quality every year since. I was able to go to the show he did at the Whisky-A-Go-Go last year and was front row-center and even that was just sort of ok. It was cool to see him in such a small venue but the show was very lackluster. Kesha performed with him and she has no place on stage with him (I don't care if she guested on his album) and I cannot stand orianthi as his guitarist. Over the last few years, it seems a lot of the more entertaining members of his band have been leaving. At least Chuck is still there.

Alice used pyro's!!!??? He never was into doing that. I thought he was supposed to do a new execution for this tour. And he has done a few tours without the execution.

Okay, my bad...I wasn't as positive on the execution aspect, but it is indeed the first tour with pyro, correct?

I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Yes, first tour with pyro's if I remember. Other then the sparks of his hands last tour. Thanks for the review. And of course I'm interested in pics. smile.gif Can't wait to see them.

In my opinion, Alice is just really starting to show his age and sort of go through the motions. The last AMAZING show I saw him do was probably in 2007 and then one really good one in 09 and it seems it has become lower quality every year since. I was able to go to the show he did at the Whisky-A-Go-Go last year and was front row-center and even that was just sort of ok. It was cool to see him in such a small venue but the show was very lackluster. Kesha performed with him and she has no place on stage with him (I don't care if she guested on his album) and I cannot stand orianthi as his guitarist. Over the last few years, it seems a lot of the more entertaining members of his band have been leaving. At least Chuck is still there.

He is certainly getting older. My favorite Alice show out of 27 was on the Halloween Hootenanny tour in 2010, but I did see a couple REALLY rough gigs earlier that year.

I can't really agree on the band aspect. I loved the band when it was Chuck, Keri, Damon, and Jimmy. That lineup just had so much chemistry. Then I saw my first show with the Damon, Tommy, Steve, Chuck, and Glen lineup. I was a bit disillusioned at first - Tommy seemed like a pointless addition and while Steve has a lot of history with Alice, he has zero stage presence. I learned to love that lineup in the 3 gigs I saw, and then Alice announce Orianthi was replacing Damon. I'll be honest - I absolutely HATED Orianthi for a majority of her tenure in the band so far. Recently I've come around to her a bit more, but I still don't love her. But I love Chuck and Tommy and Ryan, they're all really great with connecting with the crowd and they're great musicians of course.

• 4 weeks later...