Crossfire Hurricane - new Stones docu

Zint

I went to see this in theatre, it was a one night only screening.

A really good Stones bio, the key being in the title "the rise of", which I didn't notice. I thought it was going to be a 50 year spanning thing, but it basically goes up to the point where they become a stadium act in '81.

The early years were fascinating, how utterly dour, violent and miserable it could all be peripherally.

In fact, watching the footage it struck me as strongly parallel to the early punk scene. The chaos,vilification, violence, smug condescending rude societal intolerance (and fucking great music).

We all have seen pics and footage of lines of smiling police holding back Beatles fans...this show cops beating the living shit out of Stones fans.

What I saw happen in that footage I use to see play out in the punk scene back when no one unserstood and basically felt threatened by anything different.

A real fuckin blast on the big screen, the sound was amazing and the whole thing really made a big impact.

I'm glad I went.

At times though, I thought the guy who made the movie didn't always hunt down the best quality of some of the footage.Several times I sat there and thought "I've got a better copy of that", not to mention the newly remastered Charlie Is My Darling footage (which they use a fair amount of), the copy they use looks incredibly old and worn..unless that was intentional.

Having a sizeable bootleg collection, there wasn't a lot here I haven't seen before, but to the average fan it's quite a lot of stuff that will be new to them.

It'll still be great on HBO and on the eventual blu release, but I'm really glad I experienced it in the theatre first.

It's not the mother of all docus though, I hope some day they do an anthology like the Beatles did.

footnote: They issued commemorative oversized tickets at the theatre. Before the movie started the lights came up and two ushers came in. They did a draw for three full size movie posters, collectible as they were specifically for the one night only event, the bulk of the poster is the image you've seen for the movie.

I was the second person to win one!

It looks pretty cool, I'm going to have it framed along with the ticket.

Anyone seen it yet?..thoughts?

For those who haven't, enjoy, and share your thoughts on it.

I went to see this in theatre, it was a one night only screening.

A really good Stones bio, the key being in the title "the rise of", which I didn't notice. I thought it was going to be a 50 year spanning thing, but it basically goes up to the point where they become a stadium act in '81.

The early years were fascinating, how utterly dour, violent and miserable it could all be peripherally.

In fact, watching the footage it struck me as strongly parallel to the early punk scene. The chaos,vilification, violence, smug condescending rude societal intolerance (and fucking great music).

We all have seen pics and footage of lines of smiling police holding back Beatles fans...this show cops beating the living shit out of Stones fans.

What I saw happen in that footage I use to see play out in the punk scene back when no one unserstood and basically felt threatened by anything different.

A real fuckin blast on the big screen, the sound was amazing and the whole thing really made a big impact.

I'm glad I went.

At times though, I thought the guy who made the movie didn't always hunt down the best quality of some of the footage.Several times I sat there and thought "I've got a better copy of that", not to mention the newly remastered Charlie Is My Darling footage (which they use a fair amount of), the copy they use looks incredibly old and worn..unless that was intentional.

Having a sizeable bootleg collection, there wasn't a lot here I haven't seen before, but to the average fan it's quite a lot of stuff that will be new to them.

It'll still be great on HBO and on the eventual blu release, but I'm really glad I experienced it in the theatre first.

It's not the mother of all docus though, I hope some day they do an anthology like the Beatles did.

footnote: They issued commemorative oversized tickets at the theatre. Before the movie started the lights came up and two ushers came in. They did a draw for three full size movie posters, collectible as they were specifically for the one night only event, the bulk of the poster is the image you've seen for the movie.

I was the second person to win one!

It looks pretty cool, I'm going to have it framed along with the ticket.

Anyone seen it yet?..thoughts?

For those who haven't, enjoy, and share your thoughts on it.

Sounds like a must watch for Stones fans Zint...cn't wait for this Thursday on HBO...

Nice bonus you won the poster..can you post a picture of it?

Guest Len B'stard

And they didn't play a lot better than the punk lot either, from what i hear.

Pretty scrappy live, but lethal in their own way.

Seen any of the footage of them playing live back then?...people mauling them to death?

Keef says in this movie that they could hardly hear anything from the screaming, "me and Brian would start playing Popeye the Sailor Man".

Guest Len B'stard

Pretty scrappy live, but lethal in their own way.

Seen any of the footage of them playing live back then?...people mauling them to death?

Keef says in this movie that they could hardly hear anything from the screaming, "me and Brian would start playing Popeye the Sailor Man".

They were fuckin sick with mick at the maracas or harmonica, like dean martin type era, makes the 1000 pound ticket mularkey all the more sad when you see what they were.

Maybe im just narked cuz i can't afford it, jus sad though, its like, fuckin hell, give the lads a chance, yknow, the ones from where you came from...or not but its like, i dunno, fuck it i guess.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Fuckin' bastard yanks :lol: When do i get to see ittt? *throws his toys out of the pram* This is such a gyp, i been waiting fuckin' ages to see the Stones, can't get fuckin' tickets and now even everyones getting the scoop of this before me. Life ain't fuckin' fair :lol:

In the first 5 minutes you get Mick's skinny ass and snorting coke off a knife, then you go on this pretty cool journey for the next couple of hours. It had a really good flow to it, but it wasn't just them, it was also including the fans in a lot of it.

There was a lot of cool footage in it, without a doubt, but was there a lot more they could've put in there? Absolutely, the falling out between Mick and Keith's not in there, but it held your attention the whole time, the pacing's better than 25 x 5, and you felt like you could easily miss something. Thought it was kind of weird to leave Ian Stewart out though.

This felt more like a movie than a documentary, and like "No Direction Home", gives you the feel for what the big deal was (and is) about the Stones.

Edited by dalsh327

Guest Len B'stard

It's gonna be on BBC2 tommorow at 10:15pm. Bollocks though, i'm gonna download it tonight, if it was on HBO last night some thieving bastard'll've put it on torrent by now, i'm sure
:D

Guest Len B'stard

I been waiting fuckin' ages to see the Stones, can't get fuckin' tickets and now even everyones getting the scoop of this before me. Life ain't fuckin' fair :lol:

Seen em! *flicks v's and hides*

Up yours McLeod, i ain't done yet, i got a whole 15 days to find a grand from somewhere :lol:

I am huge Stones fan and really enjoyed the show last night. Lots of never before seen footage and pictures. I recommend this to even the casual fan...

My only nitpick is it is impossible to adequately cover the Stones history in an hour and 45 minutes.

To do them justice I could see a 2 hour film on each decade so 10 hours in 5 episodes...there is more than enough material to do a mini series like that..

Would also kill to have more of the live songs they have in the documentary. We only got snippets but it confirms there is gold mine of material in the vaults which hopefully will see the light of day someday....

The HBO version was 1h 45?

The theatre version was 2hr.

Apparantly the full version (coming to blu-ray in Jan..preorder is up) is 2 1/2 hours.

But I agree man, easily could do a full hour on each decade...a full on Beatles Anthology type approach.

It just ends so abruptly...and I thought they waaaay skimmed over Keef's Toronto bust.