CD caused as much controversy as when Dylan went electric?

wasted

I don't know if Chinese was as big of a departure as what Dylan did. It introduced new things to the Guns sound, sure, but it wasn't like going from mainly folk to also doing rock and going electric like Dylan did.

I agree tho, it keeps things fresh when as an artist you do what you really want to do musically.

Guest bellastar2355

To me Axl had the exact sound he wanted for the new Guns N Roses but people were just used to the old sound

Chinese democracy is a good album but not one you would expect from a band who has ballads like November Rain

and personally This I Love is shit...

To me Axl had the exact sound he wanted for the new Guns N Roses but people were just used to the old sound

Chinese democracy is a good album but not one you would expect from a band who has ballads like November Rain

CD is pretty much Axl's solo album under GnR name.

This I Love is shit!? It's a great power ballad and by far the most popular CD song both on youtube ratings and on live gigs reaction from the 'old' fans....

Guest bellastar2355

This I Love is shit!? It's a great power ballad and by far the most popular CD song both on youtube ratings and on live gigs reaction from the 'old' fans....

I despise "This I love" but I adore "There was a time".... to me it was more heartfelt then "This I Love"...

Within the fanbase circles, maybe. But the sheer scale of Dylan going electric was just beyond anything CD could ever do.

Dylan was nearly mythical at the time. Guns n' Roses was nowhere near that when CD came out. Aside from that - different times.

Edited by username

exactly. it's like mick jagger doing a record without any of the original rolling stones members... would it be a stones album ? of course it wouldn't... it would just be a mick jagger record without any of the original stones members.

Regardless of opinions about comparisons with CD and Dylan, it's pretty consistent that most musicians' most satisfying work is usually the least popular.

From what we've heard Axl wasn't satisfied with CD at all. The way it happened with the record company, the artwork, the credits....

Edited by username

Regardless of opinions about comparisons with CD and Dylan, it's pretty consistent that most musicians' most satisfying work is usually the least popular.

From what we've heard Axl wasn't satisfied with CD at all. The way it happened with the record company, the artwork, the credits....

But dealings with the record company, and things like artwork and credits, etc, are pretty superfluous. I think when it comes to the music it was a pretty personal record for him. He also acknowledged that the orchestration in TIL is the musical composition that he is proudest of. I think CD meant a lot more to him than many people recognise. Especially given the fact that he produced it without any of the original members who he felt abandoned him. The lyrics alone are an indication of how personal it was.

But dealings with the record company, and things like artwork and credits, etc, are pretty superfluous. I think when it comes to the music it was a pretty personal record for him. He also acknowledged that the orchestration in TIL is the musical composition that he is proudest of. I think CD meant a lot more to him than many people recognise. Especially given the fact that he produced it without any of the original members who he felt abandoned him. The lyrics alone are an indication of how personal it was.

We're probably both right - he was probably very unsatisfied with it because it meant a lot to him.

I also think it was just the music to Axl. Yes it's personal, but CD is was a huge project. And I think it's a lot more about the product as a whole to him. This was his work wasn't presented "right".

Actually you are dead right. We are in fact both right *Red pats username on the back* :lol:

Axl is such a perfectionist that it would have been incredibly irritating that whilst he managed to get the music right (in his view) the other elements that were out of his complete control were not. At the end of the day the record company cannot force him to record something musically that he does not agree with, but he cannot have control over things like artwork. That would have been very disappointing to someone of his standards.

Whatever can be said about Chinese Democracy, It sounds fantastic. I mean you can argue about the 'decision' to over-produce (I myself prefer the rawer Appetite style) but once that decision was made, the mixing and mastering created a brilliant sounding record which is a rarity in today's rock scene. Death Magnetic came out the same year and the difference can not be more apparent.

I don't know if Chinese was as big of a departure as what Dylan did. It introduced new things to the Guns sound, sure, but it wasn't like going from mainly folk to also doing rock and going electric like Dylan did.

I agree tho, it keeps things fresh when as an artist you do what you really want to do musically.

I dont know going from pure rock n roll, classic rock to joining the enemy of that in nu metal is pretty blasphemous. Its basically Shacklers or ITW that people dislike more that Street of Dreams or TWAT which are basically GNR classics.

I think Axl being the only original member is far more controversial than the drastic change in musical style.

To me thats a huge part of CD. Its like when Dylan went electric. Plus the change in sound and influences. The two combined caused some shockwaves. In fact the biggest thing was getting a record done without any of the old guys was kind of enough.

Whatever can be said about Chinese Democracy, It sounds fantastic. I mean you can argue about the 'decision' to over-produce (I myself prefer the rawer Appetite style) but once that decision was made, the mixing and mastering created a brilliant sounding record which is a rarity in today's rock scene. Death Magnetic came out the same year and the difference can not be more apparent.

True it did sound like a next level record, bigger, loud amd more awesome sounding than any record ever. Theres no record more OTT than CD. It makes AFD sound like a demo tape.

You can't compare it with Dylan. none cared about CD.

This.

There is a big difference between what Dylan did and CD... big big difference!

The similarity is that people were pissed about dylan going electric and axl taking the GNR name. People who were pissed thought Bring it back home was shit too. Oh how wrong they weres?