If you accept the UYI lineup(s), then you should accept the CD lineup(s). Do you agree with this logic?

saber_

Pretty much. Gilby and Matt were sanctioned by Slash and Duff. It's like if Slash replaced Dj and Duff replaced Tommy today and they said Ron and Frank and Fortus were cool. I'm sure everyone would accept that as GNR. Maybe?

No, because Izzy still toured during parts of UYI and both he and Steven (to a much lesser extent) contributed to the albums.

Steven played on Civil War? Izzy wrote a lot of songs but quite a lot of the time Slash doubled up on guitars? that's what I remember. Izzy didn't seem to have much to do with the recording of the albums. He was happy with his 4-track tapes he handed in?

If you accept the UYI lineup(s), then you should accept the CD lineup(s). Do you agree with this logic?

No, for the UYI lineups you had Axl, Slash, and Duff (not counting Izzy's time in the 90's) which is still 3/5 of the band that gained worldwide attention. Not saying one should be accepted and the other shouldn't, but it is faulty logic in comparing the band situation in the 90's to the CD era band IMO

Edited by WhazUp

No, because Izzy still toured during parts of UYI and both he and Steven (to a much lesser extent) contributed to the albums.

Steven played on Civil War? Izzy wrote a lot of songs but quite a lot of the time Slash doubled up on guitars? that's what I remember. Izzy didn't seem to have much to do with the recording of the albums. He was happy with his 4-track tapes he handed in?

Why I said contributed with regards to Izzy, and not recorded.

Well, you haven't explained your logic. Hard to explain that when you can't explain how you've hit 40 years old and have to answer to still being a virgin and spending your nights playing with your light saber :takethat:

Dizzy Reed was involved more than Izzy at this time then, no? Edited by AxlRose14

No.

The UYI line-up has several original members (Slash, Izzy, Duff, Axl), whereas the so called CD line-up is just Axl with hired hands who have nothing to do with the original GNR.

cd line-up is like mick jagger doing a stones record without none of the original rolling stones members, it would be a nonsense.

if jagger did an album without any of the stones original members, it wouldn't be a stones record, it would be a jagger record.

same thing for axl.

NO

the UYI was still really a band , and not a solo act with Axl plus employees.

Also GNR's core sounds really came out of Axl, Slash and Duff. Axl and Slash for the biggest part, plus Duff is what most people would consider the minimum to name the band GNR.

Izzy himself said that Axl's band is NOT Guns N' Roses. He never said that about the UYI era band.

Once again you fail at not only creating a thread, but finding an escape path from your parents basement...

Remember, you're a joke. People in here hate you, and not me, for a reason

Well imho it ain't really the same thing. UYI still had 4/5 of the classic lineup (3/5 after Izzy left) + the ones that were left were probably the faces people were most familiar with (Axl, Slash, Duff).

When GNR returned there was only Axl left of the classic era (+ Dizzy of the UYI) one and the band looked and sounded a lot different as people remembered them.

I still think that it would have been easier for some people to accept the new lineup, if the changes would not have been that big. i.e. if in 1997 there would have been an album with still Duff and Matt (+Dizzy, Paul and Robin) in the band, and maybe in 2001 another one where Matt and Duff had quit. So the transition would have been a lot smoother .... hope that makes sense. ;)

To answer the question. I accept the new lineup(s), but of course it is different from what we knew back then and I wouldn't expect someone who acdepted the UYI lineup to accept the CD lineup.

I wish people would stop with the "Slash doubled up guitars" thing. Yes, for Civil War, Locomotive, The Garden and Coma he did. Nothing else. Izzy plays on the rest and if you're listening to his playing you should defintely know it's him. Izzy in the left, Slash in the right. Especially on UYI 1 as I feel UYI2 is where they truly put him low in the mix.

The main problem w/ Chinese era GnR is you had so many years of nothing and members comming and going w/ no material to show for it. How can one accept a band that barely tours and doesn't release music?? I think the current band is mildly accepted because they finally gotten out there and toured properly. Will see what happens new music wise

The problem with the CD era for me is that the members had NO SAY in the artistic creation of the album.

That left Axl Rose be responsible for the artistic direction of the album, even the guitars. When it's clear that Axl doesn't know much about guitars. Nevertheless he decided to have 3 guitarists out of which none had the upper hand in directing the guitar parts. If any of the current guitarists was responsible for the recordings, overdubs and mixing of the guitars, the album would have been better.

Edited by izzydoezit

I wish people would stop with the "Slash doubled up guitars" thing. Yes, for Civil War, Locomotive, The Garden and Coma he did. Nothing else. Izzy plays on the rest and if you're listening to his playing you should defintely know it's him. Izzy in the left, Slash in the right. Especially on UYI 1 as I feel UYI2 is where they truly put him low in the mix.

I have to partially disagree. You're right in that on the songs you listed Izzy didn't play on them. However, UYI is definitely not as clear cut as Izzy on left and Slash on right. Also, from the sounds of it, Izzy laid one rhythm track down on the songs and Slash laid down at least 2 guitar tracks - one of him doing rhythm and one doing lead. In many cases, Slash overdubbed more than two guitars. You can hear Izzy's faint "strum-like" rhythm on many tracks but it's buried deep, while Slash's rhythm parts have that "driving" power chord feel. Then Slash lays a lead track with riffs overtop - plus, he then overdubs his solo separately. Not to mention if he adds an acoustic part, 6-string bass, banjo, etc..

Pretty much. Gilby and Matt were sanctioned by Slash and Duff. It's like if Slash replaced Dj and Duff replaced Tommy today and they said Ron and Frank and Fortus were cool. I'm sure everyone would accept that as GNR. Maybe?

I don't agree with your "pretty much" but do agree with you that if Slash and Duff rejoined the band many of the NuGuns haters would embrace that band..

The problem with the CD era for me is that the members had NO SAY in the artistic creation of the album.

There you go again talking out of your ass when it comes to music *sigh*

Check the credits on CD and you will be amazed and how many people had input in every song.