Should Axl tune the songs down?

Bulldog

Wow. I just checked Celebration Day out. Plant really still has it, didn't expect that.

The version of Kashmir on that DVD IMO is one of the definitive versions of the tune. Plant really shines, especially the last 2 or 3 minutes of it

Wow. I just checked Celebration Day out. Plant really still has it, didn't expect that.

The version of Kashmir on that DVD IMO is one of the definitive versions of the tune. Plant really shines, especially the last 2 or 3 minutes of it

Plant's Kashmir is beautiful from start to finish on Celebration Day.. Axl should really be aiming for that level of vocal..

What I was thinking about today was how masterfully Axl took on Shackler's in 2010 - it seemed he had practiced and rehearsed to be able to do that. I'd love a DVD of one of those nights.

Good god, that's breath-taking.

And makes a Guns N' Roses fan a little sad...

Nah, once you start tuning those songs down they'll loose any power they have. Remember they already tune a 1/2 step down in Eb. Lessening the tension of the guitar strings any further will result in loss of the snap and attack the guitar strings have.

That's what thicker strings are for. ;)

Tuning down would probably help him save his breath, at least for some songs, and it would allow for him to go for more power on certain notes that he struggles to hit nowdays. Still, like IndiannaRose said, it's his midrange vocals that suffer the most nowdays, and tuning down would probably worsen that on some songs.

It's not like they'd have to tune down to Ab or anything. Even to D (a half-step lower than they are now). Crue has always used that tuning, that's the tuning Zep used for Celebration Day, and the songs would't sound that much different being that the difference would only be a semitone.

Ab? LOL! :lol: That'd be like extra depressing doom metal Mickey Mouse if he still couldn't pull it together.

Madagascar is like GNR's Kashmir.

You just think that for that little during section in the middle part that has that whole Kashmir-y kinda feel. Everyone does :lol:

It won't help. Axl still has his range. He's just choosing to sing without rasp, and down tuning isnt going to change anything.

If he sang with the rasp for a full song he'd have no voice left for the rest of the show. He isn't choosing to sing without it, he has to.

But Philly 2012...

You really think he is choosing to sound like he does now?

It won't help. Axl still has his range. He's just choosing to sing without rasp, and down tuning isnt going to change anything.

If he sang with the rasp for a full song he'd have no voice left for the rest of the show. He isn't choosing to sing without it, he has to.

But Philly 2012...

You really think he is choosing to sound like he does now?

Axl's seems to be having a very hard time to sing with rasp these days other than on a low tone voice (madagascar) or literally screaming high. I don't believe it's a matter of choice at all - it's just as it is... Still in a single show (Philly 2012) his coice sounded overall just different and way more raspy than before or for that matter ever after that show.

I tend to believe Axl is suffering from some sort of chronical respiratory disease and it makes his voice to change all the time and make it weaker sounding at the same time.

"I tend to believe Axl is suffering from some sort of chronical respiratory disease and it makes his voice to change all the time and make it weaker sounding at the same time"

I believe it's probably "Chronic Not Looking After One's Voice Syndrome". Seriously though, tuning the guitars down a half-step to D doesn't seem like a lot, but it would help.

My function band does SCOM in D minor, half a step lower than the original, and it helps our singer who's usually great singing in original keys a lot!

Edited by GeetarMikey

Plant's Kashmir is beautiful from start to finish on Celebration Day.. Axl should really be aiming for that level of vocal..

What I was thinking about today was how masterfully Axl took on Shackler's in 2010 - it seemed he had practiced and rehearsed to be able to do that. I'd love a DVD of one of those nights.

Really? I mean, Shackler's was very good in 2010, but I thought it was one of the few songs (that and Better) which sounded much better in 2012.

I love the deep low voice on this. Completely took me by surprise.