Axl Rose Close to Losing $20M Lawsuit Against Activision for Featuring Slash

Chris 55

Bottom line, (legal or not), was that Axl showed his mean small-minded side by trying to keep Slash & Velvet Revolver out of the picture.

VR was none of his fucking business and loosing this case is karma for taking his petty war so far as to try to deny a completely different band using their own songs the same commercial opportunities as he sought to enjoy.

I am a massive fan of the man's work, I'd buy an album of him singing in the shower.

However this case, and the open display of such an enormous ego and malevolence by Axl in his attempts to interfere with the lives, legacy and post-GNR success of his old mates was when this man was lost to me as a person.

Its fascinating, car crash stuff but its shitty and deserved the end it reached.

This.

And pile on that he was late to his own party. "Wake up! Time to sue!"

• Like 1

Axl doesn't want Slash earning money off the GNR name he hasn't worked to keep alive? Just as Slash wouldn't help Axl make money as GNR. So if he wants to stop that he can, or should be able to if Activision are on the level, which they aren't.

Maybe it's in a way pay back for Slash suing Axl and blocking other things. Then there was the blu ray stuff. It goes back and forth.

I guess to Axl, Slash has tried to ruin his career and for GNR to be left behind. So to Axl, he shouldn't the one to be the image of GNR.

Bit petty, but so it suing Axl over the name.

Rock n roll is high school with money.

I just thought you should know that there is no evidence that Rose was ever sued by Slash or Duff over the name.

reading opinions in this thread is giving me a headache. Honest question, how many of you have actually read all (or at least some) of the briefs?

Regarding the statute of limitations issue, the argument Axl was making was promissory estoppel. It was a question of when does the clock start running when Activision continued to offer/promise/persuade Axl different things in order to NOT file suit. Axl also claimed Azoff and Doc kept delaying his filing of the suit by wanting to wait to see what Activision would give him.

Another thing people here do not take into consideration is that there was an oral agreement between Activision and Beta. Beta was an agent on behalf of Axl. Beta asked Axl and Axl OK'd the deal after Activision orally told Beta there would be no Slash (Or Velvet Revolver) represented in the game. Then there was a follow-up 'confirmation' email by Activision to Beta but that email left out a lot of details which left a lot of room for argument in favor of Activision. In court, you HAVE to look at both the oral agreement and the follow-up email.

One more thing to note, the summary judgment was argued and granted for something Beta had said. She basically contradicted herself. I don't remember what it was.

Yeah, not many, including myself, have read the proper briefs so arguments are made on mostly speculation. Thanks for the insight.

Once again we see this Beta relaying things to Rose which turn out to be inaccurate.

Axl doesn't want Slash earning money off the GNR name he hasn't worked to keep alive?

I would argue that Slash has done more to keep the GNR name alive and associated with only good things than Axl ever has.

His place on the Guitar Hero games brought more new generation fans to Axl's door than any dreary ballad on CD ever could.

Maybe it's in a way pay back for Slash suing Axl and blocking other things.

Probably, but to ludicrously demand that a guitar game with a couple of the most recognisable and well loved rock guitar parts on it should not have the man that the entire world knows playing them and then to go even further and include VR showed the measure of the man's insane level of vindictiveness.

How else did he think he would look to the world or than a fucking revisionist, selfish prick?

I guess to Axl, Slash has tried to ruin his career and for GNR to be left behind. So to Axl, he shouldn't the one to be the image of GNR.

Bit petty, but so it suing Axl over the name.

I don't agree. Slash sued Axl over the management of songs he co-owns and a band he was a key driver in become a quarter billion dollar colossus. Even Axl admits that Slash was the business brain in the band in the early years.

There is nothing petty about somebody trying to wipe out your very existence in history, your legacy and your livelihood while shamelessly milking that history you took years to help create, your body of work, and your individual creative style using a cover band.

Was Slash stupid for letting go of the name...fuck yes.

But this shit ain't "petty"?? It ain't petty at all.

Was Duff petty too?

This band was these men's entire lives until that date.

Edited by Intercourse

Maybe it's time that he realizes that he can't write Slash out of GNR. Give it up.

On an other hand, Activision could have used a Slash song if they really wanted to use Slash as a character.

Or they could use him the right way as the lead guitarist of the popular GNR songs that everyone remembers.

Okay, but that was kinda like advertising him as a part of GnR, which he wasn't at that time.

I'm not saying that it was ok or nok to hurt Axl's feeling, I'm saying that Slash wasn't a member of GnR anymore at that time. Advertising him as such is a lie. Did they advertise him as the current guitar player of GnR? I can't remember.

It's like saying his own material was probably not strong enough or appealling to justify portraying him otherwise than as a member of a band he left several years ago.

It's worth pointing out that all the TV ads from that time featured Slash playing Slither, not anything from GNR. The argument that Slash was advertised as being a current part of GNR just isn't true.

Once again we see this Beta relaying things to Rose which turn out to be inaccurate.

This is the biggest takeaway.

No. Axl filed an appeal and then asked for the appeal to be dismissed. A situation like that usually indicates an outside settlement.

So, it's likely Axl got paid.

In the end, it is a Court of equity. Justice could not be done here by punishing those who have been wronged, just because a Judge felt the adherence to strict procedural rules was more important than the facts of the case. Therefore, I believe that the statute of limits obstacle would have been removed by the appellate court, and the case would have been remanded to the lower court and allowed to continue. In that situation, with the facts we have, it appears Axl would win this suit. Therefore, Activision or whoever paid him to withdraw the appeal.

So what looks like a loss to an outsider, was likely a very big win for Axl. He probably got paid a fortune.

Most of that is what I think Axl thinks.

I think if Slash wanted more say then dont quit/or join.

Axl didn't try to take anything away from Slash, he kept GNR alive.

Slash could have worked together with Axl in GNR. There's nothing to suggest Axl wanted Slash or Izzy or Duff to leave.

To then turn around and say Axl is trying to destroy me. It's just that he's not in GNR anymore. Slash sued Axl over things and Axl has a problem with him.

I guess it goes both ways. The way Slash left was not ideal and kind of misled the media on things. So Axl doesn't want him on a video game cover.

They all wrote those songs, why should Slash be on the cover because he plays the solo anyway?

To me it's all a bit petty.

I'm just trying to see both sides. Sure use Slash it's better for the game. But Axl is like no he tried to fuck me.

Slash could have worked together with Axl in GNR. There's nothing to suggest Axl wanted Slash or Izzy or Duff to leave.

To then turn around and say Axl is trying to destroy me. It's just that he's not in GNR anymore. Slash sued Axl over things and Axl has a problem with him.

I guess it goes both ways. The way Slash left was not ideal and kind of misled the media on things. So Axl doesn't want him on a video game cover.

They all wrote those songs, why should Slash be on the cover because he plays the solo anyway?

I'm just trying to see both sides. Sure use Slash it's better for the game. But Axl is like no he tried to fuck me.

Cack.

Five years ago I would have actually written an essay to refute these claims, but these days I am too lazy.

• Like 1

Cack.

Five years ago I would have actually written an essay to refute these claims, but these days I am too lazy.

We can all have our opinions. I don't see what there is to disagree with. I don't see any point in not seeing Axls point of view.

I think this is kind of what Axl might think.

It might be even more micro than that. Like he doesn't mind Slash for some things, but for other things not.

Nick83 is very ignorant of the law. He thinks Axl won this case and got paid millions. Let him be. We all know he's 100% wrong and delusional.

Ok. Axl filed an appeal. He then voluntarily dismissed the appeal.

What would the incentive be to dismiss your own appeal? How does one benefit from that?

The worst thing that can happen when you file an appeal is that the appellate court makes a ruling on your appeal, and you lose. Then the case is over, unless you choose to appeal to the state Supreme Court.

And so once you've spent the time and money, and have submitted your appeal, there is no point in voluntarily requesting its dismissal. The only incentive to do that would be that a deal has been made prior to the appellate court's ruling.

Explain to me why Axl requested his own appeal be dismissed.

• Like 1

He most likely pulled the appeal because with the open book, he's bleeding money through his attorneys. Plus, it was pretty hopeless.

Activision is a billion dollar corporation. You really think they settled with little Axl Rose because he was appealing a ruling? Really?

Nick83 is very ignorant of the law. He thinks Axl won this case and got paid millions. Let him be. We all know he's 100% wrong and delusional.

Ok. Axl filed an appeal. He then voluntarily dismissed the appeal.

What would the incentive be to dismiss your own appeal? How does one benefit from that?

The worst thing that can happen when you file an appeal is that the appellate court makes a ruling on your appeal, and you lose. Then the case is over, unless you choose to appeal to the state Supreme Court.

And so once you've spent the time and money, and have submitted your appeal, there is no point in voluntarily requesting its dismissal. The only incentive to do that would be that a deal has been made prior to the appellate court's ruling.

Explain to me why Axl requested his own appeal be dismissed.

So ignorant.

Why would he keep his appeal open if he was advised or he knew it was a lost cause? Why would he keep paying his expensive attorneys for something that it's impossible for him to win? I remind you it was an appeal, because the judge ruled in Activision favor.

Axl did the smartest thing he could possibly do, dismiss it. Case is closed and he can move on with his life. He lost.

He most likely pulled the appeal because with the open book, he's bleeding money through his attorneys. Plus, it was pretty hopeless.

Activision is a billion dollar corporation. You really think they settled with little Axl Rose because he was appealing a ruling? Really?

Damn, just read this.

It makes sense to us, but some Axl fans want to think he won and he even got paid. :lol:

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 2

Yeah, sure. And Activision allows the Court to rule, and now has a precedent set allowing many other unhappy artists to sue the shit out of them etc?

Look, you don't file a fucking appeal in a big case like this if you are going to lose. End of story.

When you file an appeal, you let the appellate court decide. There's nothing to lose here that I can see. You don't dismiss the fucking appeal. Are you an attorney?

Dude got paid in exchange for voluntarily dismissing his own appeal. End of story.

And to the other clown that said his lawyers would have advised him not to go forward, but crazy Axl proceeded anyway. Doesn't work like that. You think attorneys will put themselves at risk for this sort of malpractice? No. Welcome to the real world.

An appeal was filed. The work was done, the money paid. All that was left was an appellate decision. You don't back out at that point. If the appellate court remands the case back to the trial court, and there were risks or cost concerns about proceeding forward, that's when you dismiss your case. End of story

• Like 1