Did Chinese Democracy increase the spectrum of Guns n Roses' fan demographic?

saber_

so the existence of homosexuality proves that it's okay for some people to dislike chinese democracy? could you explain in greater detail? i don't quite get it. should i ask my gay friends?

That's the problem right there, you don't get it. Go out and get some.

Then go back and link the new pope thing to CD2.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so the existence of homosexuality proves that it's okay for some people to dislike chinese democracy? could you explain in greater detail? i don't quite get it. should i ask my gay friends?

Gay friends?

yeah, lots of 'em. gay family members too.

How dare you! Don't you know you're supposed to be homophobic to be on this site?

Gay friends?

How dare you! Don't you know you're supposed to be homophobic to be on this site?

who says so? it's on the rules?

I know lots of gay ppl here, never see them getting hit by homophobic comments.

CD is pretty mainstream now.

It's cult/classic thing.

Gay friends?

As much as I've seen DJ get called a fag and all the Axl is gay shit that pops up once in a while, there are some on this site who would appear to think it IS in the rules.

Gay friends?

As much as I've seen DJ get called a fag and all the Axl is gay shit that pops up once in a while, there are some on this site who would appear to think it IS in the rules.

fuck them. Face to face n under all those popcorn, they never ever gonna say something offensive like that to anyone.

Oh i dont mean its become popular in the mainstream. I mean the influences from the 90s are now mainstream. NIN are a huge band now. Nirvana are a legacy band. Korn are an established band. Back when Axl started out on CD they werent like classic rock, they were more like new sensations.

Oh i dont mean its become popular in the mainstream. I mean the influences from the 90s are now mainstream. NIN are a huge band now. Nirvana are a legacy band. Korn are an established band. Back when Axl started out on CD they werent like classic rock, they were more like new sensations.

Agree, it will be nice to see a second wave of Rock like we had in the 70/80, but influenced by today classic bands.

Agree, it will be nice to see a second wave of Rock like we had in the 70/80, but influenced by today classic bands.

I sort of expect the next GNR album to have a garage revival and metalcore and have some sort of Nickelback, SixxAm form. The killers, Black parade, Lana del rey, BRMC.

Edited by wasted

I sort of expect the next GNR album to have a garage revival and metalcore and have some sort of Nickelback, SixxAm form. The killers, Black parade, Lana del rey, BRMC.

some ppl here expect an acdc type of album, some an epic thing like CD. I expect immortal art, like a Borges tale.

I've never met a soul that got pulled into the GnR world by listening to Chinese Democracy. They all discovered Gnr by listening to the old songs first.

I only had 5 GNR songs on my iPod before I discovered CD. CD is what made me fall in love with GNR and Axl. Before, I hated his voice and only liked Slash's guitar. I went out and bought all the old albums too, obviously, and love AFD as much as CD. Illusions are great, too, and I even like some of The Spaghetti Incident?. Gave VR another look over but still not that much of a fan beyond the singles, listened to the Slash solo albums and prefer them to VR, but not CD.

CD works for me because it's a cross of my 2 favourite genres: classic rock/metal and epic film scores (strings and brass and synth). Wish there were more albums like it so I wouldn't have to listen to CD on repeat ;)

I've never met a soul that got pulled into the GnR world by listening to Chinese Democracy. They all discovered Gnr by listening to the old songs first.

I only had 5 GNR songs on my iPod before I discovered CD. CD is what made me fall in love with GNR and Axl. Before, I hated his voice and only liked Slash's guitar. I went out and bought all the old albums too, obviously, and love AFD as much as CD. Illusions are great, too, and I even like some of The Spaghetti Incident?. Gave VR another look over but still not that much of a fan beyond the singles, listened to the Slash solo albums and prefer them to VR, but not CD.

CD works for me because it's a cross of my 2 favourite genres: classic rock/metal and epic film scores (strings and brass and synth). Wish there were more albums like it so I wouldn't have to listen to CD on repeat ;)

According to some folks around here, you don't exist at all. It's impossible to discover GNR through CD or the leaks.

On topic, thanks or your honest opinion. We don't get to see this often in this forum. rock3

In the grand scheme of things, CD did nothing to add any weight to the GNR name. It's seen as the bastard child of the discography, and mostly disregarded as even a GNR album by the masses. Fact.

The vast majority of people regard GNR as the band that put out Appetite, Lies, the UYIs, and even Spaghetti and it ends there.

The few hundred of online fanboys who actually give a shit about Axl's nu gun's output don't compare to the millions of fans across the globe that couldn't give less of a shit if they tried if Axl never bothered playing CD stuff again.

Long story short, it did A LOT more to hurt the GNR name than help it. It's largely insignificant at best.

In the grand scheme of things, CD did nothing to add any weight to the GNR name. It's seen as the bastard child of the discography, and mostly disregarded as even a GNR album by the masses. Fact.

The vast majority of people regard GNR as the band that put out Appetite, Lies, the UYIs, and even Spaghetti and it ends there.

The few hundred of online fanboys who actually give a shit about Axl's nu gun's output don't compare to the millions of fans across the globe that couldn't give less of a shit if they tried if Axl never bothered playing CD stuff again.

Long story short, it did A LOT more to hurt the GNR name than help it. It's largely insignificant at best.

GNR doesn't need any help, it would survive the fuckin apocalypse.

GNR doesn't need any help, it would survive the fuckin apocalypse.

What if Axl signed the name over to the current band and went on his own.

The current band hired a new singer...........and then continued to tour as GnR.

As for the original question.

Of course new people discovered GnR due to CD.

The real question would be the ratio of "new" fans that CD delivered compared to "old" fans that stopped following the band because of it.

I think Shacklers or ITW might hook in new fans as its not much like old GNR. Better maybe too. A NIN fan might hear it and like it. I dont think Sod or Til will really win new fans as they similar to uyi. Maybe even lyrically the songs might attract different listeners. CD seems a little less overtly ignorant. You could imagine people hearing certain words and thinking not for me.

CD is not for the braindead ppl who likes mainstream shit. If you have a Nickelback cd in your collection the chances of enjoy/understand CD are minimal.

is it possible for someone to dislike both nickleback and chinese democracy?

That doesn't really matter though.

At the end of the day, according to a few very vocal posters on here, the only people who don't like CD are the bitter ex-fans who want a reunion and/or people who just aren't intelligent enough to understand axl's CD vision.

Edited by Groghan

- Fans of industrial like Manson, NIN. Because of certain tracks in that vein and the involvement of Robin Finck

- Protool/increased role of technology/synth enthusiasts

- the prominence of Beltrami introduced a classical/sophiscticated dimension

- Guitar fans. Buckethead/Bumblefoot/and to a lesser extent, Fortus

- Production - 14 mill. More or less coincided with the elevation of producers in the creative process

- Mystique. A lot of people were attracted to the storyline/Howard Hughes comparisons

- The album is an umbrella/diversity of sounds that somehow make sense. Rock/Metal/Ballad/Electronica/Classical/Continental/even R&B. There's a song for everybody.

With the inception of Chinese Democracy, Guns n Roses' sound was radically changed (with the exception of Axl's voice). Did the modernization of Guns' sound help to bring new fans into the fold? To what extent did Chinese Democracy pull in new fans?

I would argue that Chinese Democracy has achieved a sort-of cult status. It's the little black-sheep engine that could. Did Chinese Democracy increase the spectrum of Guns n Roses' fan demographic?

If it did change the spectrum I would personally assume that it wasn't a big increase - or at least not enough to make a big difference