Kevin Smith on Prince hoarding his own material

The Glow Inc.

Sounds familiar ?

( From approximately 7 minutes on )

EDIT : long story short, Prince hires Kevin Smith to tape a spiritual / random documentary for him. When Kevin Smith finishes taping it and asks about the editing, he is told by the manager that the documentary is being edited as they speak and that it will probably never be released anyway. Edited by The Glow Inc.

Prince's vault is his leverage with fans and record companies. The people I've talked to about vault stuff, the old stuff's mostly been re-recorded and turned into different songs, but he released one last year.

Trent Reznor said something along the lines of "if you have thousands of great songs in the vault, maybe you should put them out, because the last few albums have been shit".

"Leverage with fans", that's interestng.

I guess it's kinda the same with Axl : if we knew for sure that there were no songs left from the CD sessions, that he does not write anything on a regular basis nor does he intend to release anything at all in the future, I don't believe most of us would still follow him strictly for the touring.

We still pay attention because we believe somehting will eventually happen.

"Leverage with fans", that's interestng.

I guess it's kinda the same with Axl : if we knew for sure that there were no songs left from the CD sessions, that he does not write anything on a regular basis nor does he intend to release anything at all in the future, I don't believe most of us would still follow him strictly for the touring.

We still pay attention because we believe somehting will eventually happen.

Prince has stuff going back to the 1970s, Axl has nowhere near what Prince has.

I always felt "the vault" is kind of misleading, there's a lot of songs he demoed and wound up giving to other people, or recorded entire albums, but had a female singer on them ,like Carmen Electra. I never said they were good *L*.

Axl isn't a one man show. He always needed collaborators. People also accuse Larry Graham of the same things they accuse Beta of (he converted Prince to Jehovah's Witness, and spent a lot of time with him over the years). Larry's a great musician and having part of the Sly and the Family Stone in the NPG was seen as a good thing.

What sucks are the stories about Sly doing freebase/crack with Izzy, Steven and Duff. His voice is shot and living in an RV in South Central but he's got a lot of support and love.

Great video, thanks Glow (Kevin's Superman story is great, too, even though I'm not that much a fan of his films apart from the original Clerks).

“I’m not Prince or Rivers Cuomo who brags about having hundreds of great songs,” Reznor said. “And to that I would say, Prince, if you have a hundred great songs or a thousand, how about picking a few and putting them on your record that you’ve put out because your last several have sucked. Same for you, Rivers. I say that constructively, you know.”

Interesting that Reznor would say that, dalsh, considering how Trent repeatedly brings up Prince as a major influence. Guess he just wants to see the musician he loves produce some good shit :D

Great video, thanks Glow (Kevin's Superman story is great, too, even though I'm not that much a fan of his films apart from the original Clerks).

“I’m not Prince or Rivers Cuomo who brags about having hundreds of great songs,” Reznor said. “And to that I would say, Prince, if you have a hundred great songs or a thousand, how about picking a few and putting them on your record that you’ve put out because your last several have sucked. Same for you, Rivers. I say that constructively, you know.”

Interesting that Reznor would say that, dalsh, considering how Trent repeatedly brings up Prince as a major influence. Guess he just wants to see the musician he loves produce some good shit :D

"I'll tell you a funny story about Prince. I was in this studio and I heard Prince was coming in. There was a time I thought he was awesome, but what a fucking creep! The rules were, you were never to say the word 'Prince', you had to write down that symbol. You were never to look at him, or talk to him unless he approached you first, shit like that. So he shows up in a limo, wearing a fluorescent pink jumpsuit, giant hair, a cane, huge heels and a lollipop."
He imitates Prince in heels trying to jive walk a four foot frame. It's funny.
"And he's wearing the worst women's perfume you've ever smelt. So he's got two giant bodyguards with him and there was nobody there who was gonna fuck with him! It turns out he wanted us to remix a track and make it harder--apparently he had Broken in his car for a long time. So then I see him at the other end of this hundred yard corridor, and there's only me and him walking towards each other. So we're getting closer, closer and...he walks right past me. I couldn't believe it, I don't care who you are, that's bullshit."

"I'll tell you a funny story about Prince. I was in this studio and I heard Prince was coming in. There was a time I thought he was awesome, but what a fucking creep! The rules were, you were never to say the word 'Prince', you had to write down that symbol. You were never to look at him, or talk to him unless he approached you first, shit like that. So he shows up in a limo, wearing a fluorescent pink jumpsuit, giant hair, a cane, huge heels and a lollipop."
He imitates Prince in heels trying to jive walk a four foot frame. It's funny.
"And he's wearing the worst women's perfume you've ever smelt. So he's got two giant bodyguards with him and there was nobody there who was gonna fuck with him! It turns out he wanted us to remix a track and make it harder--apparently he had Broken in his car for a long time. So then I see him at the other end of this hundred yard corridor, and there's only me and him walking towards each other. So we're getting closer, closer and...he walks right past me. I couldn't believe it, I don't care who you are, that's bullshit."

What a fucken tosser Prince is....

He kinda makes Axl sound like a normal guy :awesomeface:

That almost worked, almost... so close... but ultimately...

No. Simply no.

Axl can never sound like a normal guy. Prince or no Prince, Axl is not normal.

quoting myself for truth value for the 2nd page of the thread.

He kinda makes Axl sound like a normal guy :awesomeface:

That almost worked, almost... so close... but ultimately...

No. Simply no.

Axl can never sound like a normal guy. Prince or no Prince, Axl is not normal.

quoting myself for truth value for the 2nd page of the thread.

I like some of Price's older tracks. Sign O' the Times, When Doves Cry, Purple Rain, You Got the Look, Little Red Corvette ..and a track called Computer Blue to name a few..

I can't find the Computer Blue video anywhere.. here's a fan attempt..

http://dainutekstai.info/5229/prince-computer-blue.htm

he is no Slash (not that Slash played on Computer Blue), but better than i'll ever manage.. heh..

Edited by vaida

or is it that the label control's Axl's output to a degree, the same way Warners controlled Prince for a while. But once he got out of the contract he did triple albums like Emancipation or recently Sunflow3r.

But Axl maybe want a more focused event records. Prince seems to hide his best, most 80s Prince stuff behind a wall of syrupy Soul ballads.

Only way to find out is when GNR ride out the contract or get dropped, then we'll see if there's a deluge of triple albums, but I guess the label owns all the CD era stuff. I guess the label will grind it out...

The only thing they could do, that wouldn't destroy GNR's so far flawless record, is to do triple album that somehow has all three kinds of GNR, AFD, UYI and CD type of material. That would be indulgence that the fanbase would enjoy. But it's like a Best of GNR would be easier.