The General, Atlas, Goin Down... aren't even up for discussion in Australia.

Guest NGOG

i just dont understand why it is so hard to play a new song or two LIVE. we all know axl has a problem releasing music but at least in 01-07 they tried a lot of new songs out live way before release.

why not just add the general or something to the set and sometimes swap out a song like this i love or sorry for it. that way all the casuals that just want to hear the hits wont be affected and us die hards probably already heard those CD songs live now anyways. everyone wins

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh look, people getting disgruntled over semantics. Welcome to the world of GnR.

There's this thing called context. Of course Chinese Democracy is not new. But in the 'gnr world,' as it were, it is new. Despite the hypberbolic cries of "pathetic," the simple and obvious fact is that for a lot of the concert goers, those songs ARE new. Get it? It ain't complicated. And yes yes, I know Dizzy has bullshitted us before, and it's fair play to point out he prolly shoulda been a little clearer, but some of you with your faux high standards for semantic accuracy need to give it a rest, for real. Some of you try sooo hard to act outraged or offended by shit like this, it's laughable.

And before people start chanting "zomg briansabre u r teh #1 nutswinger evar!!1", allow me to say that from the more consummate fan's point of view (as opposed to a casual fan), we are not getting jack shit in terms of "new." See there? I'm fair.

Edited by brainsaber

Oh look, people getting disgruntled over semantics. Welcome to the world of GnR.

There's this thing called context. Of course Chinese Democracy is not new. But in the 'gnr world,' as it were, it is new. Despite the hypberbolic cries of "pathetic," the simple and obvious fact is that for a lot of the concert goers, those songs ARE new. Get it? It ain't complicated. And yes yes, I know Dizzy has bullshitted us before, and it's fair play to point out he prolly shoulda been a little clearer, but some of you with your faux high standards for semantic accuracy need to give it a rest, for real. Some of you try sooo hard to act outraged or offended by shit like this, it's laughable.

And before people start chanting "zomg briansabre u r teh #1 nutswinger evar!!1", allow me to say that from the more consummate fan's point of view (as opposed to a casual fan), we are not getting jack shit in terms of "new." See there? I'm fair.

I sort of agree. But spelling your own username incorrectly?

brainsaber, on 16 Mar 2013 - 15:32, said:

There's this thing called context.

A year and five are totally different.

1 and 5 are not the same, how observant. It doesn't change the fact that the Chinnese Democracy songs are new.

When did they become not new? The minute YOU heard them? Get over yourself. Chinese Democracy still has a ton to offer and I hope it keeps going until the critical mass is reached.

I think the reason Dizzy and DJ keep saying "we don't have a setlist" is that they themselves are never handed a list on paper of what songs they'll be playing; they just wait for their cues and for Axl to call out what's next.

Occasionally people spell it "brian" as some sort of purposefully dyslexic insult.

I am sure that to anyone but Axl there are complete songs. He would propably like to tinker with his material forever.

Maybe, as an artist, Axl is simply slow and indecisive. Its like he has no idea of what he is attempting to achieve until he hears it, and even then he isn't too sure. Atleast with a cover song, most of the hard work is done. When ever I hear The Blues, the official release, with the tacked on lyrics at the end, it proves just how bad Axl is at judging when the tinkering has gone too far. Maybe he should allow others to say when enough is enough.

I actually don't want them to add new songs to the setlist. If and when they finally release another album, I would like it to be completely unheard material, not songs they've been touring for x amount of years in advance. And I have a feeling that is why Axl hasn't added any new songs to the setlists in the last few years. The songs on CD were largely whored years before the album came out, with various leaks and live performances. By the time the record actually dropped, there was only about 4 songs we hadn't heard. I think Axl wants to do it differently this time and wants the next album to be a totally new experience.

I actually don't want them to add new songs to the setlist. If and when they finally release another album, I would like it to be completely unheard material, not songs they've been touring for x amount of years in advance. And I have a feeling that is why Axl hasn't added any new songs to the setlists in the last few years. The songs on CD were largely whored years before the album came out, with various leaks and live performances. By the time the record actually dropped, there was only about 4 songs we hadn't heard. I think Axl wants to do it differently this time and wants the next album to be a totally new experience.

This. Although I doubt we'll ever have a new album. There is plenty of touring left to do before any new(er) songs should even be considered to be played live.

I agree with you that Axl may want to have the next album be a completely new experience. But, adding a new song to the set-list could only add mystic and interest to the live shows. It will also confirm that we are getting new music in the future. The longer they tour the same set-lists, the more were left in the dark as regards to new music. The more likely is seems that we won't get new music. At least during 01-07, we knew were getting new music. Now, we can only hope we get music. Either unreleased or completely new.

And there's nothing wrong with playing new music live. Only if the album is ready and out in the near future. The reason's for them "whoring" the songs years before the album came out was (IMO) because they probably had hopeful release dates that never came to tuition for some reason. Supposedly the album was supposed to come out in 2007, but that never happened. Some people think the album could have came out in 2002. There were constant "set-backs" the caused the release of the album to be pushed back, the obvious being Buckethead's departure. If they played The General at the next concert, than at least we know we'll be getting new music soon.

1 and 5 are not the same, how observant. It doesn't change the fact that the Chinnese Democracy songs are new.

When did they become not new? The minute YOU heard them? Get over yourself. Chinese Democracy still has a ton to offer and I hope it keeps going until the critical mass is reached.

I love your cynicism. They became not new at least by 2012. If not before. You're almost as big an asshole as I am. How do I need to get over myself? By the way please try and be more clever if you want to be an asshole.]

PS the critical mass has been reached as much as it will. Time to pack it in for the sub par, over produced, lack luster songs off the album.

Edited by jimb0

How are they new? Some of these songs have been played since 2002 - that is a decade ago. CD came out over four years ago. I'm curious as to your definition of "new."

I don't define the word new by the minute I heard them. Nobody does.

At what point do YOU stop defining an album or a song as being "new"............5 years after release, 10 years after release? What is YOUR definition.

How do you suppose Axl is going to reach the critical masses with CD? It has been out over four years, I believe they released three singles off of it, GnR has toured the world. They released the album for free listen on Myspace. You are implying that there are GnR and music fans out there who haven't heard the album, and won't listen to the album UNTIL they fork over $90 to go see them live? Is that what you are implying by saying that the masses haven't heard the album yet?

And how exactly is this going to happen by Axl choosing to stop playing as many CD songs on tour now?

None of what you said makes any sense at all.

Axl is apparently out of touch. I dont know what evidence he has that obsessing over material and hoarding shit is a good idea, especially for somebody who has severely high standards and OCD tendencies.

I'm as hardcore Axl/GNR-lover as you'll get. I cheered through 2010 because he at least sounded good doing the nostalgia thing. Then he sounded like SHIT all through '11-'12 and now not only is he still playing the nostalgia set but he's clearly preserving his voice, imo. I know he can do better than this and it's ridiculous seeing this same shit for yet another leg.

How are they new? Some of these songs have been played since 2002 - that is a decade ago. CD came out over four years ago. I'm curious as to your definition of "new."

I don't define the word new by the minute I heard them. Nobody does.

At what point do YOU stop defining an album or a song as being "new"............5 years after release, 10 years after release? What is YOUR definition.

How do you suppose Axl is going to reach the critical masses with CD? It has been out over four years, I believe they released three singles off of it, GnR has toured the world. They released the album for free listen on Myspace. You are implying that there are GnR and music fans out there who haven't heard the album, and won't listen to the album UNTIL they fork over $90 to go see them live? Is that what you are implying by saying that the masses haven't heard the album yet?

And how exactly is this going to happen by Axl choosing to stop playing as many CD songs on tour now?

None of what you said makes any sense at all.

No, none of what you say makes any sense at all. I'm not imnplying anything. The facts are, GN'R's newest album has allowed them to perform to more people than even the Use Your Illsion Tour, and no one really complianed about that. There's obviously tremendous demand, with shows still being booked nearly five years later. With proper strategy, an overlooked song (or two) on the album could boost the band and reignite the album's sales. Axl has even mentione that they'll be touring Chinese Democracy for some time yet. Why not? Anyone talking about new music at this point is pretty presumptuious. Enjoy the opportunity that band is giving us U.S. fans.