nu vs nu nu

lukeaxl

Watching RIR3 again and I am so glad that that lineup did not last although they were good players, they were no where near as good, stage presence wise as the guys now. Bucket just stands there, an fink looks a bloody freak!

I think were lucky to have dj an ron tbh

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DJ's "stage presence" is nothing more than a series of pre-planned things he does at every show, like the Hogan ears and playing the guitar with drumsticks during Madagascar.

Ron's got decent presence but he needs to drop the zombie makeup and braids. Go for a 2006-Finck look.

I think the new line up has a really great chemistry which the last lineup didn't have.

Dj may do similar things every show but that would only apply if you go and see every GNR show. Most people go only to one show, duuuuh.

Yeah, but my point is that DJ doesn't have natural stage presence or charisma like, oh I dunno, Slash. Everything he does is a rehearsed "move".

Guest bellastar2355

I think the new line up has a really great chemistry which the last lineup didn't have.

Dj may do similar things every show but that would only apply if you go and see every GNR show. Most people go only to one show, duuuuh.

Yeah, but my point is that DJ doesn't have natural stage presence or charisma like, oh I dunno, Slash. Everything he does is a rehearsed "move".

I agree it feels unnatural from DJ... like he's trying too hard, I don't know

We are lucky to have Ron though

Yes, Slash's stage presence is fantastic. I saw him lash month and he really "steals" the show. He looks cool with a guitar.

Yes, Slash's stage presence is fantastic. I saw him lash month and he really "steals" the show. He looks cool with a guitar.

I agree with all that but since Slash is out of the equation I am comparing DJ to Finck. I was never a big fan of him. Seems like DJ's presence has brought back some kind of fun-factor to GNR both on and off stage.

I agree with all that but since Slash is out of the equation I am comparing DJ to Finck. I was never a big fan of him. Seems like DJ's presence has brought back some kind of fun-factor to GNR both on and off stage.
Finck in 2006 had infinitely more charisma than DJ.

Finck in 2006 had infinitely more charisma than DJ.

Respectfully disagree. I thought he was a bit "dead" on stage.

I don't like DJ's stage presence because it looks like a rehearsed thing. Fortus stage moves are definitely cooler, but sometimes he's a poser and close to DJ as far as posing goes. He can play the guitar, though, unlike... yes, Slashba. Ron is totally different, though. When he feels like he looks like a normal rock guitarist (late 06, 07), like a kinda-nerd guitarist (mid 06), back to a normal guitarist (10), a bearded normal guitarist, (11), a zombie kiss-alike guitarist (mid 2012) to a homeless bearded guitarist (late 2012, 2013). Finck seems to act this way - he'll dress like whatever he feels like dressing at the time. Both don't have pre-rehearsed moves, they're into the songs. It's a normal thing to notice that both of them close their eyes and ignore what's going on around them and they're simply feeling the song, the solo, etc. Bucket had his own thing going on, lol. He was on his own world and that is a plus to me. No rehearsed stage moves whatsoever, just him and his custom Les Paul.

I don't like DJ's stage presence because it looks like a rehearsed thing. Fortus stage moves are definitely cooler, but sometimes he's a poser and close to DJ as far as posing goes. He can play the guitar, though, unlike... yes, Slashba. Ron is totally different, though. When he feels like he looks like a normal rock guitarist (late 06, 07), like a kinda-nerd guitarist (mid 06), back to a normal guitarist (10), a bearded normal guitarist, (11), a zombie kiss-alike guitarist (mid 2012) to a homeless bearded guitarist (late 2012, 2013). Finck seems to act this way - he'll dress like whatever he feels like dressing at the time. Both don't have pre-rehearsed moves, they're into the songs. It's a normal thing to notice that both of them close their eyes and ignore what's going on around them and they're simply feeling the song, the solo, etc. Bucket had his own thing going on, lol. He was on his own world and that is a plus to me. No rehearsed stage moves whatsoever, just him and his custom Les Paul.

Dead on.

Not sure why everyone is hatin' on Finck of 2001-2002. I thought he looked just fine. Sure, pretty weird but honestly Buckethead did too. It's something people will remember. And also, I think the band sounded best than. Axl could have been better, yes, but the over music was great.

Not sure why everyone is hatin' on Finck of 2001-2002. I thought he looked just fine. Sure, pretty weird but honestly Buckethead did too. It's something people will remember. And also, I think the band sounded best than. Axl could have been better, yes, but the over music was great.

They looked like a joke.

Did Finck wear that white makeup when he was with NIN? Any story behind that?

Dead on.

Pretty ridiculous comments considering that almost every performer today has an element of rehearsal or choreography. This may come to a shock to both of you, but have watched Axl lately? Fairly certain he wears the same clothing and has the same moves every show. Guess that means he sucks, just like DJ or Fortus. Seriously guys, get over yourselves. Who the fuck cares if stage moves look rehearsed so long as they put on a good show. Re-reading what's been written in this thread just makes me laugh. So thanks for that.

They were just too wierd, I don't think they wud have been as popular now as the current band. They could have been biggish at that time for a few years but I just think the band now suits the music more than the 01 guys did.

When your in a big stadium can't just have one guy running all over trying to show up to everyone , u need personalitys all over the stage, fortus at one end, axl n Ron in the middle an dj on the end works for me. I found myself watching dj a lot when I was front row at Birmingham last year.

Tommy is pretty boring tho

Dead on.

Pretty ridiculous comments considering that almost every performer today has an element of rehearsal or choreography. This may come to a shock to both of you, but have watched Axl lately? Fairly certain he wears the same clothing and has the same moves every show. Guess that means he sucks, just like DJ or Fortus. Seriously guys, get over yourselves. Who the fuck cares if stage moves look rehearsed so long as they put on a good show. Re-reading what's been written in this thread just makes me laugh. So thanks for that.

If I want to watch a stage show, I'll buy a ticket for Broadway

Dead on.

You might be disappointed then, Broadway shows generally have less lights and costume changes than a typical GNR show.

Dead on.

You might be disappointed then, Broadway shows generally have less lights and costume changes than a typical GNR show.

LOL nice

I've been a fan of the band since 87/88, after WTTJ came out, but before SCOM broke big, they sold me on there live show. I thought the Bucket/Finck (I refer to this as the circus years) era was laughable. I'm in no way questioning what great musicians they are. They are great! But so far removed from what GNR was. A 5/6/7 man band where the music was great, the singer was amazing and all of the musicians interacted with the fans in one way or another. I never got that feel from the Bucket/Finck, Johnny Rotten playing bass band. Not to mention, in my opiniun, arguably Axl at his lowest point vocally. Axl wil never be the Axl from my late teens and early twenties, just as Freddie, Elton, or Plant were never going to be the same to there eras. But I've seen the new band, the Fortus/Ashba/BBF led version. And these guys are great. Maybe Ashba does try to hard, or maybe people are just looking for something to bitch about. I'd rather the guy try to hard than not try at all and just stand there to shred with a bucket on his head. BBF shreds, and he puts a ton of showman ship into it. And back to Axl, I don't give a shit what anybody says. The guy is a great, great frontman (and before anyone accuses me, YES, I like Slash to, and Duff, Izzy, Steven, Matt, Gilbeys, ect. None of them have given me a reason to hate them, I don't understand that) one of the greatest of all time. So what if he's odd, eccentric, borderline crazy. So what if he doesn't sound like he did in 1987, 89, 91, 92, 06 or whatever year you think he was at his "very best". Who cares. He still brings what the majority are incapable of on most nights. The original band will always hold a place in my youth, those songs trigger great memories and heartbreak. But this brand new version of the band, is great all on there own.