Will new GNR ever become classic?

izzydoezit

Seems a bit harsh. I wonder if there people on ACDc or Stones forums with same feelings.

VH fans accepted a new singer. You cant even replace Diamond Dave.

Then even UYI had Matt and Dizzy.

Its call very cloudy.

Axls had 4 different lineups.

I dont see the problem, Slash has tons of records, Izzy too.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a new lineup becoming classic or being widely accepted by most of its fans, whether it's GnR or any other band out there, depends on what that band does. No surprise there. When I first saw Megadeth live in 2008 I think, even though I'd been a fan since the early 90's, Dave Mustaine was the only original member left and I did have my doubts about spending my hard earned money to see Mustaine and the musicians he'd hired to replace what I felt was the best lineup Megadeth had had up until that point: namely: Menza, Friedman and Ellefson. Saw them live, the new lineup, and it was a very good show. But that new Megadeth put out a great record: United Abominations. Songs like Washington is next, Sleepwalker, Never walk alone and Burnt Ice are amazing songs with great solos and even better riffs. Having that record to back their presence in the band played a major role in my accepting them as Megadeth. Of course they played the classics, but I was also excited about the new songs. I didn't feel there was any fundamental difference between those new songs and the old material. But then there came even more lineup changes. And that made it even harder for me to accept that that was Megadeth. My gripe had always been But it's only Dave.. but then Mustaine and Junior buried the hatchet and the current Megadeth lineup released even better albums (Endgame and Thirteen) and the new one seems to be very good as well. So if you ask me how I feel about Megadeth now, I'll tell you this: in my mind, the new guitar player and drummer will never be as great as Friedman and Menza, but only because I love the original lineup. But these new guys have made great songs and great albums, which have been promoted the way a metal album is supposed to be promoted. And they're amazing musicians. Of course, there are plenty of Megadeth elitists out there that'll tell you they do no justice to the earlier material... well... I don't know about that. It all sounds fine to me.

What I'm getting at or trying to get at is this: we, as fans, need to get used to lineup changes and accepting said changes does depend a great deal on what the band releases and does after the changes take place.

It's like earning someone's trust. You can't make me trust you. You gotta earn my trust.

As for the new Gnr lineup, or whatever you wanna call it... like I said, I feel they still need to prove themselves musically. You can't shove this band down my throat and force me to embrace them as a fan just because from a legal point of view and for all intent and purposes this is indeed GnR.

Give me a great album with kickass songs and I'll accept them fully. But the ball is on their court. They are the ones that have to deliver. We, the reluctant fans, did out part. I purchased the record (I didn't illegally download it), I went to see them live and I wasn't fully convinced. But I judge them based on their output, not on their ability to play the older songs. Of course they can play them. They are professional musicians. I wouldn't expect less from them. But give us a great album already truly worthy of being called a GnR record and we'll see what happens. Put your money where your mouth is. CD is ok, in my book. I do like it and find myself singing along to parts of it. But it's nothing to write home about.

And if this great album did come out, with great songs, I'm sure the masses would embrace it too. But it's all up to Axl & Co.

Veamos qué depara el futuro y si esta banda es capaz de hacer honor al nombre que llevan.

Edited by TombRaider

I like UA by Megadeth too, but I didn't know about the line up changes. I generally like all Megadeth albums. I know Friedman came back and even Polanski, the guy who was part of Rust in Peace. Other bands like Oasis and Chili Peppers also have line up changes which didn't register much.

GNR's problem, well one of many, is that AFD had very defined members, almost like cartoon characters, that people got to know. Whereas some of the metal bands they all look the same, dress the same and don't care so much about the spotlight light maybe.

GNR has always seemed very unpredictable, not really operating like a metal band that just delivers year after year. Is it or was it just always too much hype on GNR. It could be that so much goes into an album like CD, it's like they try to hard, it doesn't seem as easy as a Maiden album or Megadeth. You don't just throw out stuff like Catcher or TWAT. Plus all the various genre hopping. Even on UYI you have Slash doing his, stuff Izzy songs, these epic ballads Axl is working on...and then they are second guessing and have the money to indulge themselves. Dave probably goes into the studio and everyone does their parts and it's done, unless there's some giant fuck up.

It just seems to me that what Axl is aiming for in a GNR record is way more than what they are with a Megadeth record. I can't really prove it, but it seems like Axl tears his heart to written something and make this great record. Megadeth are spinning the wheel and each time you get something a little different.

We might get CD II quicker but by the time a new record gets made I can't see it being like CD, all those producers and even the guitarists must have gone. There's a lot of chefs in GNR it seems. Even AFD had various styles and it's pretty erratic, it's no way has convincing as Rust In Peace in terms of here's the sound and it just kicks ass all the way through, everyone's on the missile.

That just doesn't seem to be the kind of band GNR are. Listening to CD, people are saying this sounds like Nirvana, this is Korn, this is NIN, this is like Queen, this sounds like Alice in Chains meets Pink Floyd etc, this has a Stones feel. AFD had ACDC and Aerosmith, punk elements, Skynard, Queen. I think they struggle, or would struggle to rattle off these kind of albums in quick succession. Maybe if they just settled on Mike Clink and UYI style cds. Bang them out, results may vary. It seems though that Axl wants to make something new each time. Something different.

A big NO.Btw ive just read that Bon Jovi is playing in Madrid at Vicente Calderon Stadium ( more tan 55000) for your info Gnr in 2006 played in Madrid at Auditórium Juan carlos I ( 15000) and Vista alegre in 2010 ( 10000).The point is big bands in 80s still play in big stadiums in Europe,not GNR.Im talking about Metallica,Acdc,,Bon Jovi,Iron Maiden.

NO.

I love Axl but this band is a joke!

Had a chance with Finck & Bucket. That was authentic. Shame! What cool videos they could have made.

Fuck the label n every single AnR guy around!

They ruined it!

Yeah! Cause GNR was supposed to be what I wanted, forever! Good point. How dare this band get old and change! Not fair, WaaaaaAAAAAAaaaAAAAAaa.

Big baby.

I think a new lineup becoming classic or being widely accepted by most of its fans, whether it's GnR or any other band out there, depends on what that band does. No surprise there. When I first saw Megadeth live in 2008 I think, even though I'd been a fan since the early 90's, Dave Mustaine was the only original member left and I did have my doubts about spending my hard earned money to see Mustaine and the musicians he'd hired to replace what I felt was the best lineup Megadeth had had up until that point: namely: Menza, Friedman and Ellefson. Saw them live, the new lineup, and it was a very good show. But that new Megadeth put out a great record: United Abominations. Songs like Washington is next, Sleepwalker, Never walk alone and Burnt Ice are amazing songs with great solos and even better riffs. Having that record to back their presence in the band played a major role in my accepting them as Megadeth. Of course they played the classics, but I was also excited about the new songs. I didn't feel there was any fundamental difference between those new songs and the old material. But then there came even more lineup changes. And that made it even harder for me to accept that that was Megadeth. My gripe had always been But it's only Dave.. but then Mustaine and Junior buried the hatchet and the current Megadeth lineup released even better albums (Endgame and Thirteen) and the new one seems to be very good as well. So if you ask me how I feel about Megadeth now, I'll tell you this: in my mind, the new guitar player and drummer will never be as great as Friedman and Menza, but only because I love the original lineup. But these new guys have made great songs and great albums, which have been promoted the way a metal album is supposed to be promoted. And they're amazing musicians. Of course, there are plenty of Megadeth elitists out there that'll tell you they do no justice to the earlier material... well... I don't know about that. It all sounds fine to me.

What I'm getting at or trying to get at is this: we, as fans, need to get used to lineup changes and accepting said changes does depend a great deal on what the band releases and does after the changes take place.

It's like earning someone's trust. You can't make me trust you. You gotta earn my trust.

As for the new Gnr lineup, or whatever you wanna call it... like I said, I feel they still need to prove themselves musically. You can't shove this band down my throat and force me to embrace them as a fan just because from a legal point of view and for all intent and purposes this is indeed GnR.

Give me a great album with kickass songs and I'll accept them fully. But the ball is on their court. They are the ones that have to deliver. We, the reluctant fans, did out part. I purchased the record (I didn't illegally download it), I went to see them live and I wasn't fully convinced. But I judge them based on their output, not on their ability to play the older songs. Of course they can play them. They are professional musicians. I wouldn't expect less from them. But give us a great album already truly worthy of being called a GnR record and we'll see what happens. Put your money where your mouth is. CD is ok, in my book. I do like it and find myself singing along to parts of it. But it's nothing to write home about.

And if this great album did come out, with great songs, I'm sure the masses would embrace it too. But it's all up to Axl & Co.

Veamos qué depara el futuro y si esta banda es capaz de hacer honor al nombre que llevan.

United Abomnations is my favorite Megadeth album.

A big NO.Btw ive just read that Bon Jovi is playing in Madrid at Vicente Calderon Stadium ( more tan 55000) for your info Gnr in 2006 played in Madrid at Auditórium Juan carlos I ( 15000) and Vista alegre in 2010 ( 10000).The point is big bands in 80s still play in big stadiums in Europe,not GNR.Im talking about Metallica,Acdc,,Bon Jovi,Iron Maiden.

Very true...and also relatively nearby (2010) Gn'R played for about 20.000 people in Lisbon's Pavilhão Atlântico.

Bon Jovi on the next year 2011 played for 60.000 fans also in Lisbon where RIR Lisbon usually takes place.

Not too bad for a small 10 million people country... Comparatively speaking and considering the population size difference, in the US Gn'R should still be easily able to fill up giant venues, but strangely that's not the case... :suspicious:

Edited by trqster

Interesting information. Funny too because a group in here keeps saying how GnR is a top 5 draw across the world.

This band has no chance to become a classic band until Axl/Beta give the current members a chance to do so. Now all they are is a touring band. This current band has released ZERO music, with no new music in sight. Such a shame.

Is it? Mine too, after Countdown to Extinction rock4

Very true...and also relatively nearby (2010) Gn'R played for about 20.000 people in Lisbon's Pavilhão Atlântico.

Bon Jovi on the next year 2011 played for 60.000 fans also in Lisbon where RIR Lisbon usually takes place.

Not too bad for a small 10 million people country... Comparatively speaking and considering the population size difference, in the US Gn'R should still be easily able to fill up giant venues, but strangely that's not the case... :suspicious:

GNR CANT fill stadiums ( not festivals),only in south america,but Europe and Usa no.

Is it? Mine too, after Countdown to Extinction rock4

Yeah Countdown is hard to top...I grew up with that and Youthanasia.

Many people here consider the new band better in many ways than the old one.

Do you think that the new band will someday achieve a classic status? If yes why? If no why not?

If compared to the old band, then the answer is no. But that doesn't mean that they can't do something great as a band. Newgnr can not be what classic gnr was. They will never be the biggest band in the world, articles in every magazine, and videos all over mtv. But I'm not sure that any band can achieve that in todays day and age anyways, not just gnr. The biggest mistake so many people make is comparing this band to classic gnr. Hell even axl isn't as good as he used to be, so how can ashba live up to what slash was? This whole nugnr vs classic gnr remindes me of when michael jordan played for the washington wizards. Not only was jordan not as good as he used to be, but pippen and rodman were replaced with stackhouse and a bunch of no names. So of course everybody prefered the old jordan to the new jordan. But that doesn't mean that the new jordan didn't do some good things, even as an old man. Mypoint is if you compare what gnr was to what it is, then of course you will feel disappointed, but if you just appreciate it for what it still is, then its hard to feel let down.