Will new GNR ever become classic?

izzydoezit

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they have one album, zero hits and little to no radio airplay. The current incarnation hasn't even released anything.

The majority of people outside of these forums have no interest in this band or new material.

This band is only relevant to a handful of internet nerds.

Well, you already got the Appetite/UYI era that is considered classic. No room for another one, even if Nu GN'R made the best music ever given to man (highly doubtful to say the least). So no.

No, they have one album, zero hits and little to no radio airplay. The current incarnation hasn't even released anything.

The majority of people outside of these forums have no interest in this band or new material.

This band is only relevant to a handful of internet nerds.

The last two sentences apply to almost every major veteran rock band.

Many people here consider the new band better in many ways than the old one.

Do you think that the new band will someday achieve a classic status? If yes why? If no why not?

No i dont think so. Reason...no real effort to be fresh and relevent to anybody but the classic fanbase. Back in the day GNR were everywhere...they were the it..the real deal...their songs were everywhere and played evn by people that didnt like long hair and "metal" bands. You listen to the radio now and any song that hits the waves here in USA ,chances are that it is a legacy band song like Welcome to the Jungle, Patience, or Sweet Child of Mine or November Rain. I have only heard CD songs played maybe 4 times and that was 3 years ago.

people dont relate to this band. They dont really know this band. This band as good as they are ..are playing old material as the staple to their shows. with the vast media outlets that this era has- GNR with promotion could be in the spotlight again. The music could be fresh and exciting . If they could write songs that were equal or better that hooked the public like they did then...but they are up against generational differences, musical differences, business differences...it takes incredible effort and will to climb back into the arena album after album.

When someone like myself who was there in the glory days looks at this current band and thier utter lack of fresh new music ..we go..who the fuck do they think they are fooling? Axl has made it clear that this is not the GNR of old...but this nuGNR putters around playing the same show for what 10 years? ...When the screaming banchee left the sunset strip he defied the world to stop him. His songs were authentic and come from a place that hit hard and hit home. The 25 year old making his point seemed relevent and inspiring...the 50 year old reluctant recluse that steps on stage clearly does not have the fire in his belly...and the way he sells his songs on stage is so vastly different . My first impression as a singer and performer is .."hes going through the motions..hes on auto pilot" in fact recently hes been So on autopilot that he doesnt know which song hes actually singing or the sequence of the lyrics. What ever hes thinking about while hes singing those songs it is apparent that he isnt "selling the sizzle" But GNR delivers a show...they trooper on...they mine the foriegn shores where their bread and butter is made.

If they want to be even remotely remembered as something other than Axl's backing band, they need to release albums and keep a stable lineup. Buckethead was the only member to ever get any attention by casual fans. When I see a GN'R show, about as many people ask me if Buckethead was playing as those who ask if Slash played.

If they want to be even remotely remembered as something other than Axl's backing band, they need to release albums and keep a stable lineup. Buckethead was the only member to ever get any attention by casual fans. When I see a GN'R show, about as many people ask me if Buckethead was playing as those who ask if Slash played.

Your friends are weird.

I'm surprised by some of the responses here. Never say never folks. It only takes one great song to change everything, and axl is capable of writing a great song. If axl ever writes and records a catchy, great rock song it could happen. I'm not expecting this, but anything is possible. Acdc, van halen, pink floyd, and many other bands survived huge line up changes. Sure times are different and I doubt it will happen, but you never know. If axl has a ycbm part 2 up his sleave, nugnr would gain tons or respect and fans. One hit song changes everything.

But in all honesty I'm expecting a cd part 2. An album that us nugnr fans like, but not a mainstreem hit. If vh can't sell platnium albums with 3/4 original, I doubt a slash less gnr can. But again one hit song changes everything.

Personally I believe that new GNR will be considered legendary in the future. But of course my faith relies on the thought that they will release many albums as good or better than Chinese Democracy. Obviosly, if Chinese Democracy is all that we'll ever get, then new GNR will be considered a joke.

Or if you get an album with the likes of Silkworms on it then they'll definitely be considered a joke, even if they aren't already. I think all new GNR will be considered as is a sad punchline to a once great band.

Personally I believe that new GNR will be considered legendary in the future. But of course my faith relies on the thought that they will release many albums as good or better than Chinese Democracy. Obviosly, if Chinese Democracy is all that we'll ever get, then new GNR will be considered a joke.

No, because the current band means nothing for the vast majority of the world.

Not really...CD came out in a era that classic rock is not relevant anymore, so no matter how good some songs might be, they'll never reach classic cult status. It's just the way it is.

Muse and a few other bands are big enough to be considered classics someday. But in general, electronic-pop and hip hop are ruling.