What did GN'R do that wasn't already done in the late 60s/70s?

Vincent Vega

While I love GN'R, they weren't exactly that original or innovative in the grand scheme of things. They didn't really bring anything new to the table. I mean let's see:

-Raspy, bluesy voiced lead singer (Dan McCafferty, Robert Plant, Janis Joplin)

-Curly haired blues inspired, amazing lead guitarist (Mick Taylor, Brian May, Jimmy Page)

-A Heavy version of aggressive bluesy rock (Pretty much EVERY rock band in the late 60s and 70s did this in one way or another)

-Long, changing epic ballads (Elton John, Pink Floyd, Queen, Rush, pretty much every prog rock group of the 70s)

I mean pretty much everything GN'R did and sounded like was already done by acts like Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Rush, Yes, Elton John, Queen, ELO, The New York Dolls, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Foghat, Nazareth, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Janis Joplin, etc etc and so on.

I mean GN'R were cool for what they were, but they were in essence a rehash or merely a homage of all the stuff that the '70s already produced. Just repackaged for the '80s and '90s.

Record Appetite for Destruction?

An album which is terribly overrated.

As someone else said, Led Zeppelin did pretty much everything GN'R did, and did it better, nearly 20 years before. As did Foghat, Aerosmith, etc.

But you have to remember that although the musical blueprint was not one of true novel innovation, they released the album at a time where that specific sound and style stood out amongst the sea of 80's LA bands at the time.

Plus the album just sounds good, plain and simple

Led Zeppelin were massively overrated. I just don't understand the fuss. Nothing about them was edgy.

Aerosmith I'll agree with.

Great band that could deliver live and produce well made albums, I'm just more of a Who fan when it comes to studio albums and live shows, at least when you're talking about those bands at their peak.

None of those bands did anything the way GNR did, that "seat of your pants" feeling they gave.

It's sort of fair to say they were taking things that some 70s bands did, but I don't think any of them sounded like GNR.

Maybe Hanoi Rocks would be your cup of tea.

Edited by dalsh327

Record Appetite for Destruction?

An album which is terribly overrated.

As someone else said, Led Zeppelin did pretty much everything GN'R did, and did it better, nearly 20 years before. As did Foghat, Aerosmith, etc.

Do you actually think AFD is overrated? Please, do explain why AFD is overrated.

I like GnR better than those bands but musically they did it first and arguably better. Most rockers had Zeppelin and Aerosmith all over it, most ballads had Queen and Elton all over it. As for commercial success, well, they recorded one of the best rock albums of the 80's and had in SCOM their most iconic and successful song - the song that gave the band the spotlight, the pop appeal.

Too many punches to the head Riddick? Of course Axl was in his prime, one of the very best, but no he's nowhere near that now. So many legends had the good sense to die, Axl just died creatively and relevantly. Jim Morrison, Freddy Mercury, Bon Scott etc, ever heard of those guys?

Axl Rose. beecause he is the greatest entertainer of all time. Hes 5 dimensional, where the rest of em is one dimensional. bigger then life rock3

show me a band from the 60s and 70s that put out anything remotely close to resembling Appetite for Destruction...

Led Zeppelin II

Let It Bleed

Never Mind the Bollocks

Foghat--Stone Blue

Janis Jopin

Aerosmith - debut, Toys in the Attic, Rocks

The albums closest to Appetite in my opinion are..

- Aerosmith - Rocks

- Stones - Sticky Fingers

- Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks.

In my opinion, GN'R were not very original. Well they were original in the sense that their lyrics were street and their music was blues based and raw. Most bands in the mid-late '80s were doing cheesy '80s hair songs and ripping off Van Halen. But GN'R are not original in the sense that The Beatles were from 1966 onwards, or NIN, or Floyd, or Radiohead. They did not pioneer knew forms of music. The whole point of Guns was, it was just a gaggle of 1960s-1970s styles mixed up: Duff's punk, Slash's hard rock, Izzy's Stones, Axl's Elton John, Queen and DC, Steven's cheese. Chuck them together and you have Appetite. They were not that original also in the sense that they ripped off Hanoi Rocks. But thats what everyone wanted. Great 60s/70s style music and not, Look What the Cat Dragged In.

show me a band from the 60s and 70s that put out anything remotely close to resembling Appetite for Destruction...

Led Zeppelin II

Let It Bleed

Never Mind the Bollocks

Foghat--Stone Blue

Janis Jopin

Aerosmith - debut, Toys in the Attic, Rocks

None of those records actually mixed those sounds together the way they were mixed together on Appetite. Early Aerosmith was great, but it sure as shit did not have the Sex Pistols vibe that you can find on Appetite. Sex Pistols had great energy, but they didn't have anywhere near the musicianship that Led Zeppelin had for instance. GN'R mixed Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Stones, Pistols, and AC/DC together to make the perfect hard rock sound.