What famous guitar player would fit in GnR and play lead, nailing every solo?

TombRaider

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beta

This is the best answer, because if it ever did happen, there would still be people screaming "GNR was NEVER any good until Slash left and Beta took over lead guitar! Just you wait til the year 2065 when Axl releases the followup to Chinese Democracy. Beta is gonna SMOKE that fucking album with her awesome, classic riffs and solos!"

No disrespect to the current band. That's not where I'm coming from. Honest to God. But maybe Zakk Wylde?

Classic songs: Slash (i'm not joking, he isn't sloppy anymore like the old days)

CD material: Bucket.

Anyone can probably take over Slash's parts but I can't think of a single guitar player that can pull off Bucket/Bumble parts.

Lol Satriani fuck them in their asses.

Hey why all the hate to slash? He is imo a guitar god and please remember axl's the asshole not slash.

Every member (except steven) of the original band deserves blame. If they cared enough they would have either tried to make it work or tried to get the band back together. That sounds like a great job for either duff or izzy, but has never happened.

And let's remember slash fucking quit. You slash boys always seem to "over look" that fact. If your girlfriend breaks up with you is it your job to give the relationship another chance? No! The relationship can not begin again unless the girlfriend wants it to. Slash broke up with axl. If slash really wanted to get guns back together he could. If he talked with axl and actually tried, it would be possable. He only gave it a piss poor effort one night drunk off his ass. Slash has let me down as a gnr fan more than axl has, end of story.

Yep. Slash turned his back on his friends, fans and bandmates.

Nobody likes quitters.

Oh don't derail the fucking thread with your laughable and nonsense hater opinion

Only 0,00000001% of the GNR fans thinks the way like you.... Even Axl himself laugh at you if he read your posts....

Edited by Crash Diet

This thread verifies how hard it is to find a replacement for Slash/BH. The guitarists from Skynrd, Thin Lizzy (Gary Moore especially) are the real deal. Them, and obviously Page, are the kinds of guys you'd want. They're mostly dead, playing in jam bands, or R&B bands, etc. Rock is in a coma.

I really wish I knew wtf Axl is/was thinking.

Btw Steve Stevens is great, indeed. Another older guy though, doing his thing. GNR needs a young upstart, not a 40 year old trying to look like one.

Edited by Eu4ic

Anyone can probably take over Slash's parts but I can't think of a single guitar player that can pull off Bucket/Bumble parts.

There you go. It's simply astonishing how people throw names out there not even knowing that they can't properly play their parts. If Ron left tomorrow, as good as Fortus is, he wouldn't handle Bucket's parts as well as Ron does... not to mention Ron's fretless stuff. That being said, the virtuoso that would be able to handle both Ron's and Bucket's parts would be Guthrie Govan. He'd handle Ron's fretless bits just fine as well as his fretted work. As good as Bucket is, it would be like a walk in the park for Govan to cover Bucket's fretted work. He's that good. When you have both Bumblefoot and Joe Satriani (and many, many others) saying that you are the world's greatest guitarist, you know you're in for something.

The fretless bits are irrelevant. No one cares about that. LOL

Perhaps you misread the thread title?

And the fretless is minimal of all of the material. You guys leave the show disappointed if the song isn't played to absolute perfection? I guess we have different definitions of nailing it.

The fretless bits are irrelevant. No one cares about that. LOL

Perhaps you misread the thread title?

And the fretless is minimal of all of the material. You guys leave the show disappointed if the song isn't played to absolute perfection? I guess we have different definitions of nailing it.

It's not about playing the songs with absolute perfection at all. I have no doubt that even though Buckethead doesn't play fretless, he could come up with some great fretted work. Most players, probably even most virtuosos wouldn't be able to come up with stuff as unique and/or interesting as these two avante-garde guitar players brought to the table.

Fretless guitars can offer unique sounds (and a truly beautiful tone) when properly played, it can bring a certain "fun" factor that fretted guitars can't. I, for one, would be disappointed if we lost that "plus" factor, but I have no doubt in my mind that most wouldn't care. Which is a shame, really. I certainly would hate to hear the Chinese songs being simplified to fit aother person's technical skills. So yes, Buckethead would come up with something as interesting and or/unique as well as Guthrie Govan - he gets my nod because he can play awesome fretless and fretted stuff while still being original and insanely talented.

Here I'll show you exactly what I meant...

This is the studio version of a Guthrie Govan song named Rhode Island Shred. Ron plays a fretless guitar solo here...

There's no fretless on the live version as he doesn't have a double neck, but it still kicks as much ass as the studio version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovbo9yHwgoM

This is where his musicianship shines - even though he doesn't have the right gear (Double neck fretted/fretless), he still doesn't dumb down the song.

Nobody would give a shit about attending a GNR concert and not hearing Bucket and Bumbles work except for a handful of dorks on the internet.

We're talking about those who matter, not a bunch of people that know the classics and nothing else. Most wouldn't even recognize Locomotive... so what? Does that make the song any worse? Your trolling is not necessary and pointless.

Randy Rhodes!

You know what is funny? Even though Randy (R.I.P.) would play the fuck out of the songs some people would still say that he's not good enough to fill Slash's shoes. We have people that actually would believe that, yes, as stupid as that sounds.

Nobody would give a shit about attending a GNR concert and not hearing Bucket and Bumbles work except for a handful of dorks on the internet.

We're talking about those who matter, not a bunch of people that know the classics and nothing else. Most wouldn't even recognize Locomotive... so what? Does that make the song any worse? Your trolling is not necessary and pointless.

>>Randy Rhodes!

You know what is funny? Even though Randy (R.I.P.) would play the fuck out of the songs some people would still say that he's not good enough to fill Slash's shoes. We have people that actually would believe that, yes, as stupid as that sounds.

That's because there was no shredding on the Classic GNR songs. To replace Slash you need somebody like a Jimmy Page.

Edited by Randy Lahey

>>Randy Rhodes!

That's because there was no shredding on the Classic GNR songs. To replace Slash you need somebody like a Jimmy Page.
Actually, there was, but that's not the point. What makes you think that, first of all, the songs wouldnt work with a more technical playing? Secondly, what makes you think that Randy couldnt play soulful stuff?