My biggest problem with The Beatles

Randy Lahey

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's a single album by any band that I like every track on. For the Beatles, on Abbey Road there's She's So Heavy, which drags on WAY too long, and on Sgt. Pepper's there's Within You Without You. Never really liked those wonky George sitar songs.

I Want You is my favourite song on Abbey Rd!!

But I semi agree. For me it is the 'comedy' song which the Beatles insisited time and time again on including; usually, but not always, this would be sung by Ringo. So,

Revolver: Yellow Submarine

White Album: Ob La Di Ob La Da

Yellow Submarine: All Together Now

Abbey Rd: Octopus's Garden and Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

But they were written for children! It seems somewhat petty to moan about them.

cardi - fail for talking about I Want You and not pissing all over Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

And Because is the best tune on Abbey Road.

And Revolver has I Want to Tell You which sucks ass moreso given the fact that George has two of the best songs on that album. Bottom line most albums have that shit song everyone skips.

cardi - fail for talking about I Want You and not pissing all over Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

Again, it's a good song, I just think the last few minutes with the repeating riff needed to be cut. Everything up until that is great. Maxwell's is nothing more than a silly little 2 minute singalong tune. I've got nothing to say about it at all.

Guest Len B'stard

I don't think there is a Beatles song on their entire discography that ain't amazing. That sounds like a flippant hyperbolic statement but it's not, they're just that insanely talented and unique.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH dirty maggie may, they have taken her away and she'll never walk down lime street anymore, the judge he guilty found her, for robbin' a homeward bounder, that dirty no good robbin' Maggie May! :D

Yes, even that one!

With The Beatles, top fuckin' drawer!

Guest Len B'stard

Oh man, the covers were fantastic, Rock n Roll Music, is there any question about that, or A Taste of Honey or Twist and Shout or Roll Over Beethoven. The played the fuck out of Chuck Berry songs, they might not've sounded as crisp but they could make em rock, The Beatles were first and foremost a club band, this whole thing of The Beatles being not so good live is a load of rubbish, they were just fuckin' wild with it. Even stuff like You've Really Got a Hold On Me, just mindblowingly good, their first album is one of my favorites and it's pretty heavy on covers.

Just outstanding band that i could gush on about all day and it still wouldn't be enough, The Beatles were the beginning and the end, no band to beat em out there ever, they'd just wipe the floor with any of em, the look, the sound, the playing, the dress, the stance, all of it, they were the fuckin' bollocks.

One of the most important things about The Beatles is how much fuckin' fun they appear to be having doing their job, no band i've ever seen played with such fuckin' joy. I've seen em play with power, aggression, all of that but the fuckin' joy The Beatles seem to be in is like, something else.

Boys by Ringo was pretty hip for the time. But most of their covers sounded a bit wooden to me, just forcing out the words, not really feeling it. You can hear it on Roll Over Beethoven... The tone on a taste of honey is a bit iffy...

Edited by machinegunner

Guest Len B'stard

I don't think there is a Beatles song on their entire discography that ain't amazing.

Why Don't We Do it in the Road says otherwise

Again, love it man :) It's just infectuous, i'll listenin' to it once and be walking around the streets in my head going "why don't we d-do it in it the rooadd".

Boys by Ringo was pretty hip for the time. But most of their covers sounded a bit wooden to me, just forcing out the words, not really feeling it. You can hear it McCartney's voice on Roll Over Beethoven... The tone on a taste of honey is a bit iffy...

George Harrison does Roll Over Beethoven man. I know what you mean about the tone and also the verses don't have really the proper soft of flow to em but the aplomb they play it with just pushes it through.

Guest Len B'stard

The closest The Beatles came to a fail was Magical Mystery Tour and even that was fuckin' amazing and i love it end to end :)

Guest Len B'stard

I even loved the movie to be honest, i thought it was this fantastic surrealist thing, it was amazing. The Lennon scene with the shovel and the spaghetti was brilliant, was a dream he had apparently. The nerve of em to risk their shit by making this mental fuckin' surrealist thing, to me, is really commendable. The album and the film, love em both! Ringos aunt Jess was hilairious!

Guest Len B'stard

The idea of combining like...an old stape of british culture like the coach trip to blackpool and then tryna like, co-join it with some kind of psychedelic thing i think was inspired. And there's a lot of that to the whole thing, the sing-a-longs on the coach and Your Mother Should Know, which wouldn't sound out of place coming from Max Bygraves.

The idea of combining like...an old stape of british culture like the coach trip to blackpool and then tryna like, co-join it with some kind of psychedelic thing i think was inspired. And there's a lot of that to the whole thing, the sing-a-longs on the coach and Your Mother Should Know, which wouldn't sound out of place coming from Max Bygraves.

They loved Monty Python. And I love how they took the piss out of the Maharishi (Fool On The Hill...? Nowhere Man, certainly) ... all while probably smoking the best pot...

Guest Len B'stard

They also loved The Goon Show which shows through as much. Dick Lester who directed Hard Days Night also did The Running Jumping Standing Still film with Peter Sellers.

Edited by sugaraylen