Does anybody else prefer 90's hip hop to grunge?

Randy Lahey

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Rap of the generation you're talking about Randy was an entire cultural revolution, grunge was like a nostalgic flare up of one particular little genre of music.

Guest Len B'stard

As long as its mostly AIC, that's all that matters. ;)

Choon!

"memories of a past life givin' up cash to the leaders knowin' damn well they ain't gon' feed us"

GODDDD i miss that boy..

Doggystyle was really the albym of the 90's when it comes right down to it. Fuck Nevermind!

So much better than the chronic. Tha shiznit and if you have one of the first pressings gz up hoes down were amazing. My two fav songs growing up.

Doggystyle was really the albym of the 90's when it comes right down to it. Fuck Nevermind!

So much better than the chronic. Tha shiznit and if you have one of the first pressings gz up hoes down were amazing. My two fav songs growing up.

The Chronic is almost as overrated as Nevermind. Much like how Nevermind ushered in grunge, The Chronic ushered in a new wave of funkdafied rap known as G-Funk, but Nuthin' but a G' Thang is really the only classic song off that album that I still listen to today. Doggystyle and All Eyez on Me were much better albums than The Chronic, though there is something to be said about getting there first, and Dre deserves all the props he's been given. If you condensed All Eyez on Me down to one album of the best tracks, it would be the best album of the 90's, hands down.

Edited by Randy Lahey

I don't think I ever owned Nevermind. You heard brit pop and grunge on the radio, Oasis and GNR on the pub jukebox so I'd get gangster rap tapes and old classic rock really. I never bought any AIC, STP, PJ. I bought bands like La Guns, Motley, Aerosmith, FNM waiting for UYI.

In retrospect I'd go with Tupac, the Lennon of rap. Not too militant or too ignorant.

But right now I listen to Shrillex and The Strokes.

The Chronic's got a lot of trash on its second side and it doesn't help that Dre and Snoop piss off for most of it.

All Eyes on Me - bin the second disc and throw out Whats Your Phone No for Wonda Why They Call U Bitch and the title track.

wasted - not too militant? Brotha dug his grave.

Snoop only had The Chronic and Doggystyle and he's been living off them since.

Snoop Lion. Pfft. What a fucking fraud. Saw Reincarnated the other night all he does is get on the choof for two hours and clearly doesn't know shit about Rastafarianism otherwise he might have something else to say other than shit about Bob Marley and "i feel love" 300 fucking times. Not to mention the beef with Bunny now because Bunny know he a fake ass motherfucker.

I just mean, not as hardcore as Public Enemy. He gets his points over more subtle like. Snoop is always talking about his nuts and hos. Tupac is a real artist almost like a 70s rock star.

He's sorta like a Black Panther Lennon crossed with Marvin Gaye. He's dropping knowledge that seamlessly blends in with the bitches and blunts good time party vibe of the G Funk era.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Didn't Chuck join the Nation of Islam?

Ice Cube still searches for the perfect sandwich.

I don't think so. He still goes by the name Chuck D. I always think of Public Enemy as being Spike Lee's band. Their music had a bit too much Malcolm Luther Islam in it for my taste. NWA was more universal. Fuck The Police isn't all that different from We're Not Goona Take It when you really think about it.

Edited by Randy Lahey