Where's the new biggest band in the world? Will there ever be another one?

TombRaider

You know, where's the new Led Zep, Beatles, Queen, Metallica, GnR, Maiden? I know there are a lot of great bands out there, but I wonder if they have the potential to become the next biggest band in rock/metal. Or are bands like that a thing of the past? with the Internet and stuff. Just wondering.

There won't be one because though I'm sure some bands out there have the potential to be that epic, major labels aren't interested in putting that kind of muscle power into the promotion of a band anymore, and understandably so.

True, and such a shame. I think the closest thing we have now to a major rock band is Queens of the Stone Age.

I doubt it will happen to the same extent again. The age of the internet has diluted things, people are not brought together by the love of music or a band in quite the same way anymore. Social media has made artists more accessible and less of a mystery and I don't think a lot of todays young generation find self identity in music in quite the same way as we did. Plus as someone else said labels don't promote bands in the same way and with the exception of boy/girl manufactured bands a lot of todays focus is on solo artists of the Beyonce and Rihanna type.

I hope it changes, I would love a big RnR comeback but I can't ever see it being like 1992 again.

Social media has made artists more accessible and less of a mystery and I don't think a lot of todays young generation find self identity in music in quite the same way as we did.

That hasn't changed at all, in fact I'd say social media has made it a whole lot easier for younger music fans to discover music they identify with. We all have access to just about anything we want, we aren't just fed whats on the radio and MTV which for the most part is how things were before the internet age. The thing is, across the broad spectrum music fans have very diverse tastes, just because their attention isn't concentrated on a few huge artists doesn't mean they identify any less with the artists they do listen to, there's just WAY more options these days.

Personally I think its great, why do we need massive world dominating bands? Does the number of fans following an artist really make them any better?

Guest NGOG

Bands are a thing of the past. Most people just want a slamming bass they can sink shots to.

Edited by NGOG

That hasn't changed at all, in fact I'd say social media has made it a whole lot easier for younger music fans to discover music they identify with. We all have access to just about anything we want, we aren't just fed whats on the radio and MTV which for the most part is how things were before the internet age. The thing is, across the broad spectrum music fans have very diverse tastes, just because their attention isn't concentrated on a few huge artists doesn't mean they identify any less with the artists they do listen to, there's just WAY more options these days.

Personally I think its great, why do we need massive world dominating bands? Does the number of fans following an artist really make them any better?

this.

I don't understand why people are getting slightly snippy at the whole "biggest band in the world" thing. I don't know that I'll ever see it again, but I hope to, provided I like the band. When you're a fan of a band that huge, it's more than just the albums and the tours and the interviews; it feels like a social phenomenon. That doesn't mean the music is any better or worse. It just means that the experience of being a fan of the biggest band in the world is unique and fun.

I doubt it will happen to the same extent again. The age of the internet has diluted things, people are not brought together by the love of music or a band in quite the same way anymore. Social media has made artists more accessible and less of a mystery and I don't think a lot of todays young generation find self identity in music in quite the same way as we did. Plus as someone else said labels don't promote bands in the same way and with the exception of boy/girl manufactured bands a lot of todays focus is on solo artists of the Beyonce and Rihanna type.

I hope it changes, I would love a big RnR comeback but I can't ever see it being like 1992 again.

And on a similar note, the internet also offers far more choice than was ever available. How do you find one band to push into that spot of 'biggest band in the world' when people's tastes are diversifying more and more with each day?